Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Collection Regrets

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:44:57 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Do you guys have any regrets about your collections? Regrets about buying something that maybe was a bit more pricey than it should be, or regrets about passing on a deal that you'll never see again?

I regret buying a few single carts off eBay when I was a noob. I wish someone would have slapped me in the face for being a retard...

-------------------------

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:27:22 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I don't have any regrets. Anything in my collection that I overpaid (notably FFII SNES, which I paid about 3X market value), I got my money's worth in actual game time. And I've been the beneficiary of so many good deals over the years that it balances out in the end.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:18:21 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
I dont really have any regrets either..If you wait and have patiences you can get almost anything for a decent price. Ive seen the last few items I need for sale but they have been bid up to stupid levels and werent worth what they went for just for the sake of saying I had them. Little ninja brothers is a good example its been in a ebay store for months and months but it isnt worth 40.00 dollars and I can do without until i find one for around 20.00 or less. If you really think about it if you would of bought every nes game when they were released you would of spent over 30.000.00 dollars thats saying the average game cost about 40.00 dollars new at 760 different titles..so they are pretty cheap now. Thats very true about the newer games I bought my boy destroy all humans at 60.00 dollars now they have it a best buy for 19.99 I guess i regret that..

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:24:29 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Actually, weren't NES games like $60-80 new back in the day? I pity the fool that bought Taboo new

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:16:54 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Actually, weren't NES games like $60-80 new back in the day? I pity the fool that bought Taboo new

Taboo and countless sports titles would show up in the bargain bin for $10, sometimes as low as $5 after they'd been sitting for a month and picked over. Other over-produced bargain bin titles include Bayou Billy, Silent Service, you can imagine dozens of others. Those are just the ones I personally remember.

That said, yes I'm sure somebody spent $60 on their copy of Taboo And somebody's going to pay $2,000 for a PS3 and all that. Things are just more expensive when they first come out and there's a different flavor for everyone. me, I paid $1 for my Taboo 15 years after its release. And I still think I got ripped. Although I can say, I beat it first try!

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:28:40 AM
michiganfan2 (123)
(Mike Pitsch) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I remeber thinking when I first started collecting that I would find all the games in the wild. I passed on a sealed Cheetamen for $50 and a loose NTSC Stadium Events for $100 in 1997.

I remember saying to myself, "I'll never spend $50+ on one game". What an iddiot I was

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:40:14 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I have a laundry list of regrets, but the ones that stick out in my mind most are the ones that may seem trivial. When I sold off my collection 5 years ago, I kept all my PAL games, and some other less-common items such as my multicarts. I regret selling my Asian Version, Hong Kong Version, and HKGC carts. I also regret selling my Nintendo Fun Club News set (complete, near mint). I'd say I got a pittance for them compared to what they sell for now. Granted, it's not about what I had invested in them at the time -- it wasn't much for those games, and the Fun Club stuff was from my childhood. But anytime I think about regrets, those two things stand out in my mind. Luckily, I have most of the carts back now, and 4 of the 7 issues of the Fun Club News, but still I regret selling those.

I also regret not buying a grey NWC for $1,200, a Gold NWC for $1,800 and several SE's for around $200 that I passed up many years ago. Ouch, those really hurt

-Dain

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:37:31 PM
jajaja (8)
(jajaja jajaja) < El Ripper >
Other
Nope, i cant actually think of a single game/item that i bought and regreted it

Nov 19, 2006 at 5:43:07 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I regret early on buying a Tengen Tetris for $10 cash and then returning it because I thought I had gotten the common version. I had it confused with Pac-man for which the unlicensed was more common than the licensed The clerk I bought it from was some chick probably the mgr's g/f and gave me their Nintendo price, when I returned it the guy looked at me like I was an idiot and like 4 months later when I finally realized I was pissed