Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

90s Laptop: Identification Help Swappable Floppy/CD Drives

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:28:32 AM
Zero Insertion Force (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Trying to remember the make of an old laptop I used in the late nineties/early 2000s.

In truth I don't remember enough about it to really nail it down for anyone, but the unique thing about it was the swappable CD and 3.5" floppy drives, which popped out to switch between media and were integrated with the case. Other than that it was a typical dark gray Windows 98 machine. Anything I google for "removable floppy drive laptop" comes up with Dell primarily, who appear to have had something similar on their latitude laptops; I've always hated Dell though, so I think it's unlikely I would have bought one; I'm PRETTY sure it was either Toshiba or Fujitsu but can't google any similar laptops. Anyone recall any other laptop models with switchable drives?

-------------------------
PSA: Keep your slots super-loose!

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:29:37 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
That's most laptops up until more recent years.

I've seen this feature in Dell's, Toshiba's, Lenovo (and IBM before that), and so on.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/01/2017 at 10:30 AM by dra600n

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:35:40 AM
Zero Insertion Force (1)

< Crack Trooper >
I probably had three or four laptops between '95 - 2000 , but only that one had the integrated, swappable drives; it might have been more common than it felt to me, but it seemed unusual to people that I had an extra 3.5" drive in my laptop case. I don't recall seeing many others being configured that way. I really lean Toshiba, but can't even google any specific laptops with swappable drives. I'm sure not enough people care about this stuff to have kept track.

PSA: Keep your slots super-loose!

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:12:42 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I don't think they were advertised to have such a feature. 2 off the top of my head that I know has them are the Dell D505 Lattitudes and the IBM Thinkpads. It was pretty common, though, as just about every drive had a push button that would let you slide it out (aside from things like the Sony Vaio where the drive was built into/behind the chasis).

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread