Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Official Permanent Sharpie Marker Removal Thread

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:00:09 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
I feel like I see a "how do we get rid of permanent marker?" thread every month and would like to compile the advice from the community to give collectors the best advice (and give the advice givers a break).

OFFICIAL RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE INK FROM A NES PLASTIC CART

Method 1: Denatured Alcohol 
SUGGESTED BY: many members
METHOD: Apply denatured alcohol to area, then use cotton ball/q-tip/rag/paper towel/pencil eraser, rub the markered area- it will lift off the marker. This will have to be done several times for optimal results. 
VARIANT: Use an electric toothbrush.
CAUTION: Alcohol will damage labels. Apply only to the plastic markered area.

Method 2: Goo Gone
SUGGESTED BY: many members
METHOD: Apply goo gone and then rub the area with cotton ball/q-tip.
CAUTION: Too much goo gone will eat away at the plastic. 
CAUTION: Rubbing too hard will destroy the plastic.
CAUTION: Goo gone will remove the sticky and/or discolor your labels. Apply only to the plastic markered area.

Method 3: Magic Eraser
SUGGESTED BY: a few members
METHOD: Gently wipe with magic eraser pad. 
VARIANT: Add goo gone on magic eraser pad. 
CAUTION: May damage/discolor label.
CAUTION: May damage texture of plastic.

Method 4: Axe Body Spray
METHOD: Spray on, wipe or rub off.
CAUTION: Cart will smell like cologne. 
CAUTION: Will damage/discolor label.

Method 6: Nail Polish Removal
METHOD: Wipe nail polish removal on markered area- wipe off.
CAUTION: Reports of whitening or discoloration to plastic.
CAUTION: Will damage/discolor label.

Method 7: Dry Erase Marker
SUGGESTED BY: a few members.
METHOD: Scribble dry erase marker on the permanent marker then wipe off. The dry erase should pick up the permanent marker.
CAUTION: Mixed results with textured NES carts.
CAUTION: Might take up to four applications.

Method 8: Sunscreen
SUGGESTED BY: one member
METHOD: Apply sunscreen (unspecified spf) to markered area, let it sit, wipe off.
CAUTION: Unknown effects, sounds crazy.

Method 9: Brake fluid
SUGGESTED BY: a mess of members
METHOD: Rub on, rub off.
CAUTION: Keep the fluid away from the edge of the labels, where it can wick the fluid.
LABLES

Method 1: Insta Lift (which is a remover of paint, permanent marker and other materials)
METHOD: Rub it on, and immediately rub it off.
CAUTION: This works well for labels, but it will eat the plastic of your cart. 

Everyone has their favorite methods and it's STRONGLY recommended that you test these on a Silent Service cart before trying to clean up your Flintstones 2 or TMNT4 cart. 

(is this sticky worthy?)

-------------------------

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 12/08/2016 at 10:14 AM by zi

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:02:44 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Amen!  Hey, I almost forgot to ask if you are going to make a "How to remove blue marker from carts" thread?

Edited: 03/22/2011 at 07:05 PM by Laserman

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:06:18 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Sunscreen? Really?

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:07:10 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
I have heard good things about this one. It's actually called a permanent ink remover. Haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/prod...

Edited: 03/22/2011 at 07:07 PM by B.A.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:10:57 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
I've never done this one before, but I've heard of it.

Method Omega: Baking Soda Toothpaste
METHOD: Apply toothpaste, let sit for 1 minute, scrub off with toothbrush
CAUTION: Dangerously refreshing

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:19:35 PM
zi (73)
New York
ba/adam - get to testing! maybe you'll discover (or confirm) the next great cleaning method!

my personal method (600 sandpaper/rubbing alcohol) was effective as far as removing ink, but also removed a lot of plastic.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:51:26 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
I just noticed this thread, and I have to say Mr. Clean's Extra Power Magic Eraser is all you need.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:07:24 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I used toothpaste, but it works because it is brittle like a magic eraser and actually smooths the plastic. Might want to distinguish which ones alter the plastic texture.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:25:11 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
My method is lightly rub the marker with 90% rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs. Sometimes this removes the marker completely (escpecially red or blue marker). Sometimes it still leaves a faint amount of the marker. I then go over this with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I gently rub the faint marker off with the magic eraser until it's gone. As long as you don't rub to hard you won't damage the cart finish on NES/SNES games. This method works really good on on N64 carts since they have a much smoother finish to begin with.

I haven't come across any marker this hasn't worked on.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:23:12 PM
zi (73)
New York
bump for noobs!

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:51:41 PM
Retrogradio (0)
(Al Gritzmacher) < Meka Chicken >
New York
It depends on what sort of magic marker was used. Different manufacturers use different compounds in the ink.

If your first attempts fail, a useful alternative is witch hazel. You can buy it in almost any drugstore. It's an astringent and lifts a remarkable number of substances. (It obliterates poison ivy rash.) It's also not as nasty or stinky as stuff like Goo Gone. I believe it's also fairly non-toxic, though you should check the bottle. Apply a couple drops to a soft cloth and gently dab the marked areas. CAREFUL: Witch hazel will definitely soak through labels and dissolve the adhesive beneath. It will also stain labels. If you're worried, you can create a 3:1 solution with distilled water which will be gentler on the plastic.

DISCLAIMER: I've never tried it on a cartridge. I've never had to. But witch hazel has worked for me on many other surfaces and I have faith in it.

Now, does anyone have some tips on how to remove white-out?

Edited: 04/12/2011 at 09:54 PM by Retrogradio

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:57:03 PM
Shipsteam (37)
(Mr. Wright) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I clean marker off with a normal pink eraser wet down with rubbing alcohol to prevent texture smoothing. It seems to work fairly well!

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:35:52 PM
zi (73)
New York
it's been a few months! bump

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:47:07 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I've got a personal method that might help for people in the Benelux area that have access to "wasbenzine":

Method: Wasbenzine
SUGGESTED BY: one member
METHOD: Apply wasbenzine to a paper towel and rub the moistened paper towel against the marker area (works great for sticker residue as well).
CAUTION: Works on labels, too, unless they have lost their protective layer from wear & tear (always stay away from the edges, as the wasbenzine will be absorbed and it will leave stains).
CAUTION 2: Use rubber gloves and keep the area well-ventilated.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:52:00 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
The dry erase marker works great on boxes. I haven't had much luck with it on carts though, the plastic part at least.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:16:31 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
What about actually cleaning the contacts on a game. I have seen many different ways just wondering what people recommend I have never cleaned a game myself, might need to do it someday

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:23:52 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Magic eraser worked for me it came off so easily.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:43:36 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

What about actually cleaning the contacts on a game. I have seen many different ways just wondering what people recommend I have never cleaned a game myself, might need to do it someday

Weiman's glass cooktop cleaner.  You can find this stuff at Wal-Mart, it comes in a white bottle and is a thick white paste-like goop.  I'd only use this if alcohol doesn't do the trick, though.  Alcohol is good for a surface clean, Weiman's is a bit tougher.  If you go with weiman's don't use too much, it is abrasive so it will harm the gold coating if you scrub too hard.  But generally rubbing alcohol is the way to go. 

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:58:31 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
ive been cleaning pen ink off of carts for years my method is a bit odd but ive found it to work best. you will need

a new tooth brush with with medium or firm bristles
colgate tooth paste
scissors
and 91 percent alcohol

before you do anything take the alholhol and wipe the surface ink off as best you can.
(sometimes it will come off with just that)

if not then take you tooth brush and cut the bristles off to make them shorter. (make sure it fairly evenly cut)

put the tooth paste and the alcohol on the brush.

now just brush the cart with the tooth brush. it always comes off. some take longer than others just take you time. once its gone take some windex and wipe it clean. and to make it shine use some pledge (pledge is safe on wax labels) on rare occasion the ink can stain the cart if that happens it will never come all the way off. unfortunatly.

the main problem is the ink gets in the texture of the game cart and wiping it doesnt reach the ink very well.

be careful if your doing this on a golden zelda cart.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:23:15 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Since it's already been bumped we can add a little science.

Toothpaste works because of it's abrasive material. Usually it's sand but some have switched to using only baking soda. The higher the "whitening" the more abrasive it is and the better it will be at removing marker. Rather than use toothpaste you'd probably be better off using face cleaner with scrubbing beads. Something with salasylic acid (aspirin) perhaps. That is assuming we want to avoid actual cleaning agents.

Most cleaners all really boil down to a few active chemicals that redissolve the ink. I've found a new one that seems to work easily with less side effects and that's purple power citrus. The original is too strong but the citrus works well and won't ruin a label with overspray if you clean it off carefully. http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Powe...

Edited: 04/29/2015 at 11:25 PM by mkiker2089

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:30:28 AM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
First time seeing this thread, nice bump. I've had great success with Dry Erase markers, rubbing alcohol, and magic eraser.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:38:22 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
91% isopropyl alcohol tends to leave a white film (or drys out the plastic?) when used to remove permanent marker from the exterior of an NES cart. Anyone notice this?

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:31:33 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Originally posted by: Brachabre

91% isopropyl alcohol tends to leave a white film (or drys out the plastic?) when used to remove permanent marker from the exterior of an NES cart. Anyone notice this?

yeah thats normal.  its doesn't actually dry out the cart just  wipe it off  with glass cleaner

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:12:24 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Yeah I can vouch for toothpaste. I've trusted using it on a Power Blade 2 cart that had permanent marker on it. Toothpaste + good scrubbing with a cotton swab. Great results. Thanks again 8bitpat for the recommendation.

Edited: 10/22/2015 at 08:17 PM by NESMASTER14

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:14:32 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: Brachabre

Alternate with cooking oil. The oil rejuvinates the plastic and prevents it from drying out.

I generally use the two for sticker removal, but I noticed using them on Genesis cases left otherwise dingy plastic looking like new. 

Edit: I've also used mineral spirits (paint thinner) on saturn disc art to remove permanent marker. Didn't hurt the disc, and gently removed most of the marker. If I hold it under a certain light and tilt the disk I can make out a faint outline where the writing was, but all in all it was pretty successful and doesn't remove a layer of protective covering like a magic eraser would. 

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Edited: 10/22/2015 at 08:18 PM by Daria