Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: Not for Resale

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:09:06 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Discuss pat's great informative article on the NFR collecting bug!

-------------------------

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:46:16 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Liked it overall, though I would like to state two things. Sega Master System NFR carts are actually not that rare, they pop up quite frequently because, other than the kiosks, Sega also distributed them for stores to use singularly. That is, you could have one or two sample games if you didn't want the whole kiosk thing. These games tend to have 'SAMPLE' or something like that on the back and then a real label on the front. Others have nothing. There are also demo cards, but you probably know that. The one critical thing to mention, however, is that sometimes these games are prototypes. Most people don't know that and assume they're just sample games, when quite a number of prototypes have been found this way. In other very rare cases, the games will be genuine unreleased titles. For example, a guy found a horde of these and posted them on Atariage and I helped people nab a bunch. For helping him, I was given first dibs on an unreleased NTSC version of Super Racing, and it's packaged in one of these 'SAMPLE' cases with a real label on it. Just something to mention, but very informative overall. Enjoyed it.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:39:29 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Pat is one of the people that got me into NFR carts, so glad to see him passing along a little of that info he has in his noggin. His site is a great resource for demo stuff though, so check it out for sure.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread