Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Legend of Zelda NES Gold Cart Value?

Aug 06 at 4:11:28 AM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
The recent Kid Icarus story in the news got me curious about a sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda that I've owned for about 20 years. I don't have any intention of selling it, but after looking online and coming up empty, I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea what it would sell for. Most of what I've found online are sales of the Classic Series re-release; the few I've seen with a gold cart are up for nonsensically high asking prices. I'm also confused by the NES P ZL printed on the back; I don't see that mentioned in most posts about the different LOZ release variants.

Any insight is much appreciated!!

Aug 06 at 5:49:56 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Hate to say it bud, but look like a reseal.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 06 at 5:57:19 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
No H-Seam is a big red flag.

Aug 06 at 10:04:49 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Yep. That's a re-seal. That sucks to have had it that long thinking it was legit. I feel for you

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Aug 06 at 11:58:02 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Without knowing anything about sealed games, I would 100% trust jone, sign guy, and fleck...

And yeah... no H seam would be my big red flag.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 08/06/2019 at 11:58 AM by AirVillain

Aug 06 at 12:42:21 PM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Interesting. My brother originally found it in an old toy store for a few bucks - would the likely explanation be that it was opened and returned and resealed? Obviously no one was trying to make money off of it.

Also, does anyone know about the NES P ZL code on the back? I'm just curious since I haven't come across much information related to that.

Aug 06 at 12:59:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: CSciacchitano

Interesting. My brother originally found it in an old toy store for a few bucks - would the likely explanation be that it was opened and returned and resealed? Obviously no one was trying to make money off of it.
Store probably just resealed it to sell it again.

Aug 06 at 1:40:31 PM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I just came across this listing: https://warnersretrocorner.com/sh...

Doesn't appear to have an h-seam and it has the same NES P ZL designation as mine that I still haven't found out much about. Not trying to be argumentative - just curious what you guys think. Even though that one's graded could it still be a reseal? Or are they just that faint that it might not appear in the photo?

Aug 06 at 1:55:51 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: CSciacchitano

I just came across this listing: https://warnersretrocorner.com/shop/new-vgaukg-graded-items/...

Doesn't appear to have an h-seam and it has the same NES P ZL designation as mine that I still haven't found out much about. Not trying to be argumentative - just curious what you guys think. Even though that one's graded could it still be a reseal? Or are they just that faint that it might not appear in the photo?
That's a PAL copy, yours is NTSC.  PAL = Europe, NTSC = Americas (more or less).  I'm not an expert on the PAL seals but the NSTC Zeldas 100% should have an H seam on them. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 06 at 2:41:18 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Like Jonas said, that's a PAL copy and graded by a company called UKG. Not reputable here in the US, unsure of how reputable they are in the UK and Europe.

In PAL collecting circles, new doesn't mean original factory sealed (which is the way works here in the States) since most PAL releases never came sealed with plastic.

New in PAL regions just means (for the most part) "Never Used" or "Extremely Mint" which I guess they determine by looking at the pins of the cartridge or whatever. Not sure how it really works there really, all I know is they've got some really fun obscure stuff that I like to collect.

Regardless, a US release of Zelda must be sealed in plastic with a proper H-Seam or else it's without a shadow of a doubt, a resealed game. Even if it's been in your hands for over 20 years, it just means when you bought it all those years ago it was opened and repackaged at one point along the way.

Still, if you feel that's not a fair assessment then you can always have it professionally graded. Maybe you have an undocumented no H-Seam variant and it's something unique.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Aug 06 at 2:50:08 PM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Thanks, that's super informative! I think you're probably right on all fronts. I will say that my brother found this in Panama on a trip years ago. I always assumed it was just a US copy since there's long been a big American presence there (I was actually born there - my dad worked in the state department during the invasion in the 80's and used to buy us NES games from the BX). I wonder if that has anything to do with it or if it indeed is just a resealed US copy that ended up down there.

Aug 06 at 4:27:36 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Whatever the case, it has a really cool back story.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Aug 06 at 4:36:33 PM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Agreed! At the end of the day, it's a fun piece to have in my game room.

Aug 07 at 11:56:15 AM
unish25 (0)
(Shinu Chacko) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Like others said the H-seam missing is a red flag. However I would personally send it out for grading. I believe VGA can confirm if it is a reseal or not. 
Check to see if the top flap was open or not. There would be clear wear indication there if it was. 

Aug 07 at 2:15:48 PM
CSciacchitano (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I don't see any indications that the top flap was ever opened, but obviously I'm no expert.  I've attached a picture here in case anyone wants to take a look.

I was actually going to ask if anyone thought it was worth getting graded despite the obvious signs that it may be a reseal.  I know very little about that process and as I said, since I've never considered selling it I never really looked into it.  I guess it seems like a lot of money to spend given the likelihood that they'll just tell me it's reseal?