Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year ? (2017) Games beaten: 199/303 - Last game finished: NBA Jam 99

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:19:54 AM
Italia64 (1)
(Gabriele Atzori) < Eggplant Wizard >
Italy
FIFA 99 is done.

I beaten a custom cup on Professional difficulty. I put all the strongest international teams in the tournament.
I didn't play it since a while, so I didn't select the hardest difficulty, but I should had, I'm still good.
I played this game hundreds of hours back in days with my brother and a friend of mine. Not goof as ISS, but still a great soccer game.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:04:34 PM
mpacz99 (0)
(Matthew ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Missouri
PGA European Tour has been conquered! I was really excited to do this one because it's one of the few left that haven't been beaten yet. I'd consider myself the most casual of golf fans, I might watch a few holes during the Masters but that's about it. That being said, I did enjoy this game. It's pure, undilluted golf, and if you're a golf fan, I think you'll like this one. My biggest complaint is that the visuals are particularly fuzzy. As I've mentioned before, graphics certainly aren't a dealbreaker for me but they're pretty rough in this one. Your ball is just a white blob of pixels. If you're looking for an authentic, non-arcadey golf game on the N64, your options come down to this and Waialae Country Club. Personally, I enjoy this one more. To complete it you've got to work your way up the ranks - the flowchart in the manual explains it better than I could. (Thanks to the NA Database for the manual scans!) All in all I'd say I played about 15 or so 18-hole rounds.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:30:31 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
NBA Courtside Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant is done. I'm not an expert in basket games, but from my point of view the Courtside games are the best on N64. Graphically aren't great, but I really like their smooth gameplay and responsive controls.

Edited: 01/29/2017 at 03:33 PM by Italia64

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:47:42 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Super Bowling is done. The way I beat the game was by completing the acquisition mode, whereby you unlock characters and lanes by winning a best 2 out of 3 Bowling match with an opponent. Very easy and only took me an hour and a half to unlock all 6 unlockable characters and lanes.

If you throw the ball in the same way everytime, the pins will always do the same animation, so it doesn't have a realistic physics engine for the pins as Brunswick Pro Circut Bowling but the pins do still feel like they react as they should. The accuracy meter you see in most Bowling games is here but it takes some time getting used to because it moves so quickly but once you do this game is very easy. The n64 has 3 different Bowling games all with different strengths and weaknesses but I'd say this one is my favorite for how easy and relaxing the music is. The game also has golf type mode where you are scored based on how many throws it takes you to clear certain pin setups and in the multiplayer you can fight to drain your opponents health by bowling better than them so it's got some nice game mode variety too.

The game has some weird characters and lanes too. The river lane is cool because the lane starts in grass, then drops down into a river where the pins are and there are rocks on the sides so a gutter ball is impossible. Very unique lane type.

I'm still working on Brunswick Pro Circuit Bowling, that might take a while because this game is heavily reliant on luck because the pins are so realistic. Every time I think I have a method for getting strikes down it stops working and the game expects you to score in the high 200's just to qualify for the tournament finals. It really was made for pros.

Edited: 01/30/2017 at 03:39 AM by Shellshocker18

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:35:16 AM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
Originally posted by: mpacz99

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is done! Really great tactical shooter. Kind of just rehashing what I said last year, but the fact that Rainbow Six and Tom Clancy games are still being made is a testament to just how fun this one is. Easy to find for under $10, if you're into shooters I think this is a great addition to your collection.

In other news, I'm very close to finishing PGA European Tour. Should have that one done soon!

Rainbow Six is a great game. I would love to play it in coop.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:42:58 AM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
After maybe 3 hours not including my Bowling research and an hours worth of failed attempts I finished 1st in a tournament in Brunswick Pro Circut Bowling.

After the 3 qualifying rounds

Then after 1 vs 1 matches with the other 5 top guys (2017 pin total is serendipitous)

The semi-finals and the grand finals

Finally sweet seeet victory

Also just in case someone ever needs this next year and comes back looking for help I present to you...

Brunswick Pro Circut Bowling: How to Bowl a perfect strike nearly everytime!

Step 1: Pick the Speed Zone ball and set it to maximum spin, using a right handed bowler. I assume left handed bowler will work the same way, just reverse the directions of everything I say.

Step 2: See this preview image of the lane. Move the ball until it is touching the gutter, then move it one more notch to right. At this point the preview line showing the balls path should be aiming directly at the first pin, though it may look like it is aiming slightly to the right side of the pin.

Step 3: Make sure to line up the power and accuracy bars as close to the green bar as possible and let er roll! With any luck your score will surpass 200 easily every game.

Of course strikes won't always occur due to the unpredictable nature of the laws of physics but it's a tride and true tested method used by all professional bowlers.

oh yes and this is on the Desert Classic Tournament. Since each lane has different oil patterns I can't guarantee this works as well on other lanes but it generally seems to be a safe bet.

Edited: 01/30/2017 at 10:13 AM by Shellshocker18

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:53:07 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Ive dropped out of this because of some stuff I have going on but hopefully I can pick Armorines back up this weekend. Good job everyone!

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:46:53 PM
captainolimar (41)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Just started harvest moon, I absolutely love this game but never played it a full cycle to see if I can keep the farm. I'm going to do it this time!

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:52:57 AM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
I just completed all 100 stages of Tetrisphere's rescue mode so I hope that counts as beating the game. I spent more time on the final 4 stages than all the rest combined. The final stage has 6 layers with the largest robot in the core and the shortest clock for placing pieces so it requires placing pieces perfectly for 8 minutes at a blistering pace. I actually did 99 levels yesterday but this one I had to sleep before taking it down.

Sorry I didn't get a shot of the "The End" Scren. It was only on display for less than 2 seconds so I didn't get a shot of it. Sad that this game hasn't come back. I mean it's a great n64 exclusive but I believe it's way past due for a revival on modern platforms, maybe even mobile. I think Nintendo may own the Tetrisphere concept and they just don't feel like doing anything with it. It's isn't something I'll sit down and play because it takes much more willpower than something like Tetris or Puyo Pop but it's still fun. I know there are other modes but I'm going to take a break from this game, likely for a few decades.

Edited: 02/04/2017 at 03:04 AM by Shellshocker18

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:38:38 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
How in 6 years has nobody beaten Lode Runner 3-d or Indiana Jones? I know Indiana Jones is pretty long and Lode Runner is a niche one but these are both really good games so I figured someone would have done them at least by coincidence by now. This is a perfect excuse for me to finally sit down and beat Lode Runner 3-D. I'll even try to do Indiana Jones if no one else is planning on doing it. It's almost been a full year since my first playthrough so I think it'll feel pretty good to revisit it.

Edited: 02/04/2017 at 09:39 PM by Shellshocker18

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:40:32 PM
mpacz99 (0)
Missouri
Originally posted by: Shellshocker18

How in 6 years has nobody beaten Lode Runner 3-d or Indiana Jones? I know Indiana Jones is pretty long and Lode Runner is a niche one but these are both really good games so I figured someone would have done them at least by coincidence by now. This is a perfect excuse for me to finally sit down and beat Lode Runner 3-D. I'll even try to do Indiana Jones if no one else is planning on doing it. It's almost been a full year since my first playthrough so I think it'll feel pretty good to revisit it.
I'd definitely be interested in doing Indiana Jones, I love that game. I've gotten incredibly close to beating it a couple times in the past but have never polished it off. I would have done it last year but someone else said they wanted it. Clearly it didn't end up getting done though. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:10:13 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Well let me know if you do decide to do Indiana Jones. I like the game but it is extremely long so if someone else can do it that'll give me more time for other games. Im going to try Mike Piazza's Strike Zones here before long because it's needed in both this thread and the N64forever beat 'em all, no guarantees though because I've never played any serious simulation sports games so it's going to be a harsh learning curve on top of Strike Zones not exactly being considered a good game compared to the over n64 baseball games. I'll be done with Lode Runner before too long. I've played up the 5th world but never beaten it. I'm on the 2nd world now so I'm really blowing through it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:54:24 AM
mpacz99 (0)
Missouri
Originally posted by: Shellshocker18

Well let me know if you do decide to do Indiana Jones. I like the game but it is extremely long so if someone else can do it that'll give me more time for other games. Im going to try Mike Piazza's Strike Zones here before long because it's needed in both this thread and the N64forever beat 'em all, no guarantees though because I've never played any serious simulation sports games so it's going to be a harsh learning curve on top of Strike Zones not exactly being considered a good game compared to the over n64 baseball games. I'll be done with Lode Runner before too long. I've played up the 5th world but never beaten it. I'm on the 2nd world now so I'm really blowing through it.
Just started Indiana Jones. Lode Runner is quite a good game, you seem to be breezing through it. Best of luck on Strike Zone, I tried it last year and just could not get used to the batting controls.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:41:02 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
You guys are taking about games never beaten, I add a game beaten all the times in the contest ;-)
Kirby 64 is done, 100% beaten.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:35:50 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
WDC is done even this year.
In these days I replayed it again from the beginning because I'm preparing a walkthrough for YouTube. So I had to refresh the memory with the GT2 cars, I never use them.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:20:26 AM
RetroMichel (41)
(Michel B.) < El Ripper >
Quebec
All right everyone, the list is now fully updated. Sorry if it took so long...

Also, great progress, guys ! Keep it up ! I will publish a post with many games beaten later today.

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 08:24 AM by RetroMichel

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:38:03 AM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
Thanks RetroMichel.
Yesterday I tried to beat F-1 WGP 2, a game that I mastered several times. I settled assisted brakes and acceleration, an option that you can't change during the season. I (re)discovered how bad this option was, win is very hard because the car brakes too much. I'm on the last of 16 races with 9 point under the leader (M.Schumacher) and there is even Coulthard above me. I have to win and hope they're not going to earn points, which is almost impossible. So I'll have to redo everything from the beginning.
Despite this, I had a lot of fun during the whole season, battling point by point.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:51:52 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Hi RetroMichel. I joined while you were away and have been hard at work the entire time. Here's one more for you for today.

I finally beat all 100 main stages in Lode Runner 3-D. I've played most of the game before so the first 3 worlds weren't super bad but the last 2 worlds took me nearly 3 days of nonstop play to finish. I have to say this is the hardest and probably the best Puzzle game on the system, but I only believe that the most hardcore of hardcore puzzle fans will get much enjoyment out of it. It is actually a real puzzle game unlike most the other games on the system which are in the color-shape matching genre of Puzzle games. Weird how those are called puzzle games when they are more about reaction speed then anything else.

This one actually wracks your brain and requires you to plan ahead but still be able to react and think on your feet sometimes. Though to be honest I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to serious puzzlers so while I can appreciate how insanely intricate this level design is at times, this game was quite frustrating most of the time with some levels that could take 30 minutes to over an hour. Since the game also has a lives system most players have to reset many times so they don't lose all their lives which is very tedious.

Oh yeah I have not done the secret stages yet but supposedly some the secret stages are just areas of the first stages in each world meshed together, so I'm not really in a rush to play those since I just spent 3 days playing through the hellaciously difficult 4th and 5th worlds. You don't unlock anything for doing them either so I don't think they should be required but if someone wants me to do it I can try.

Digipin Institute huh. This game does feel like it was developed mostly by amateurs, but I suppose Lode Runner is a great avenue for that since it is so simple to code for as long as you have a great level designer, and thankfully this game did.

Funny fact is that Douglas Smith was part of the localization staff for Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, and Secret of Mana. He also created a very influential series in Lode Runner and his contribution will never be forgotten.

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 04:58 PM by Shellshocker18

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:21:53 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
Congratulations Shellshocker18! There are so many N64 games I want to beat, and you make me want to beat even more:-P
As usual thanks for sharing your thoughts.

F-1 WGP2 is beaten. Without the brake and acceleration assists it was a piece of cake.
Visually this game is amazing still nowadays.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:01:15 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Yes the N64 does have a lot of good games. You and me have both beaten and mastered lots of games but putting our lists side by side they would be quite different. You've got me beat for racing games though. I still need to get around to World Driver Championship

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:07:22 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
Man, be patient with WDC and you're going to love it. That physics system becomes incredibly addicting once you mastered it.
I know several persons that still nowadays play it a lot, it's a drug :-P

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:13:07 PM
RetroMichel (41)
(Michel B.) < El Ripper >
Quebec
California Speed is done. It's a good racing game. Pretty generic game if you ask me, but it also can be original at moments. For example, in one level, you can ride a roller coaster with your car. The visuals can be quite impressive at some moments. Sometimes, you can see that the game is certainly flawed. However, it's fun and I think that's the most important thing about a video game, right ? One thing that caught my attention is that hidden message, in the "Mojave Desert" map. The second picture just below shows it. What do you think, guys ? I think it's kind of creepy ! This easter egg became popular with time, but the game did not. It should have, because it's pretty fun and it also has a good soundtrack. EDIT: For those who can't see the picture really well, it is written:

"SoMETIMES
God TaKes MOMMIES
aNd PuPPIES AWAY...
And SoMETIMES...
Just SoMETIMES...
I do."

Good game.

Fighter Destiny 2 is completed. I actually think that the second entry in the series is the worst of the two games. While I absolutely love Fighters Destiny, Fighter Destiny 2 is not as great. It's still a pretty good game, but I think the developpers destroyed the characters. I mean... They are so ugly in this game, I'm not even kidding. The music is still nice, not as good as in the first game, but it's OK, I guess. I would call this game disappointing, especially compared to the first game.

OK game.

Once again, I've completed Pilotwings 64. I think it's the best game to play if you want to get dexterous with the N64 controller. For example, when you need to land on the ground, it requires some skills and practice. Pilotwings 64 is a very good-looking game for its time: it came out at the same moment as Super Mario 64. The music is very memorable and the game contains some of my favorite N64 music tracks. These are "Birdman", "Hang Glider" and "Game Menu". It's actually pretty much underrated, if you ask me. Please, give this game a chance.

Great game.

Snowboard Kids 2 is completed. This game rocks. It always was a favorite of mine. I remember playing this game on Project64 being younger and wanting to have a real copy of it for my Nintendo 64 system. I actually had one last year, but traded it for another game because it was really advantageous for me. Anyway, Snowboard Kids 2's sountrack is unforgettable and so is its universe. It's a really charismatic game. I think that the only major problem with that game is the broken artificial intelligence. Check up some videos on YouTube and you'll understand what I mean.

Great game.

Star Fox 64 is beaten. Needless to say, this game is an absolute masterpiece. I love how you can take various paths and how creative the bosses and levels are. Seriously, this game surprises me every time I play it. And what about the quotes of the characters ? "Hey, Einstein ! I'm on your side !", "It's quiet. Too quiet... be careful, it's a trap !" or the famous "Do a barrel roll !". If you've played the game as much as I, I'm sure you've read all of these with the characters' voices. The soundtrack is so epic and so are the sound effects. Star Fox 64 really shines in everything and is very close to being a perfect game.

Astonishing game.

Yoshi's Story is completed. Last one for this post ! It's a really simple game and is regrettably not as good as Yoshi's Island on the Super Nintendo. The Yoshis can be quite annoying sometimes and the game is just so easy that it is boring. It's unfortunate since I love Yoshi and his universe. However, Yoshi's Story is just too childish and lacks of challenge. One very positive aspect of the game is its visual. Yoshi's Story looks great, even by today's standards. Also, it doesn't have that baby's whining, which is a huge asset to the game. Finally, it's not a bad game, but not a very good one too.

OK game.

Edited: 02/08/2017 at 08:10 AM by RetroMichel

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:37:00 AM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Epic post Michel. You really want this year to be the year.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks Fighter Destiny 2 is a letdown. The characters are ugly and the new ones ( that aren't reskins of old characters ) don't feel as unique or balanced as the original characters. More stages have lag than in Fighters Destiny 1, the music is worse, the announcer is one of the worst fighting game announcers of all time. The mode for unlocking special moves is longer, more tedious, and the characters you save to the memory card have random stat modifiers for health, attack power, recovery speed, and special move damage meaning that, if the game had a competitive scene, playing with all balanced move sets would be impossible since each person would have diffrent stats on their controller paks. Even though I went through to the effort of unlocking the Joker in the original I just can't bother with unlockong Cherry in the sequal.

I do know someone who has only played sequal and he likes it so I imagine if Fighters Destiny 1 didn't exist I would like it more. I know I'm a bit fanboyish but I'll jump at every opportunity to talk about Fighters Destiny

Edited: 02/08/2017 at 06:44 AM by Shellshocker18

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:35:28 PM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
Blast Corps is beaten. This was the first time I've actually finished it

I realize there are some other missions if I go for gold on all the normal stages which I'm not sure when I'll do today or not. I've got gold on most the levels already so it wouldn't take long.

Space Station Silicon Valley is done too. If you can tell by my icon it's one of my favorite games. It's happens to fit the username I've always had as well so it's pretty perfect

I have played it to absolute death so I don't play it much now but I've beaten it more than 50 times and speedrun it for a little bit. Was never able to beat it 99% in under 3 hours but did get a normal run in under 2 hours with a 1:55 which was cool.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:30:07 PM
Italia64 (1)
Italy
Amazing Job guys.
Beaten NHL Blades of Steel '99/NHL Pro 99. I won the Stanley Cup in 50-60 mins I think.
Nice game, responsive controls and easy to learn, but NHL 99 is much better.
Graphically Blades of Steel is not good at all, Konami showed much better visuals in sport games like ISS66/98/2000 and International T&F 2000.