< Bowser >
Washington
Double post.

Edited: 05/02/2016 at 03:31 PM by pegboy

May 2, 2016 at 3:31:30 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
I could post the videos if you want, I'm still not really proud of the Ghost Valley one though since I wanted to do the full 5 laps with that jump and was only able to get up to 3 for the contest. You basically have to do a boosting technique (which are very hard to describe) combined with jumping at the last possible instant. It's not trivial to pull off and I really need a lot more practice on that track before I can do it consistently.

The Vanilla Lake time is more just a matter of figuring out a good path and executing it without hitting any obstacles or slowing down. Also not easy, but easier than the Ghost Valley jump IMO.

May 2, 2016 at 3:37:05 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Originally posted by: pegboy

It was fun coming back to play this one, I hadn't touched it in probably 10 years but it is and always has been my favorite racing game. It was refreshing to see that my Rainbow Roads skills were still there, and I somehow got my best time drunk off my ass on champagne. I did have to put a bunch of time into Vanilla Lake 2 as I was never any good at that track and my original score was in the 58 second range.

I really wanted to get a Ghost Valley time in the 1:02 range but could never get the shortcut jump for the full race (got 4 laps once but failed on the 5th...fuck).

I might continue working on some of these times, I'd like to at least break all those Twin Galaxy "records". What I like about this game is I don't need huge blocks of uninterrupted time to play it since I don't have much free time these days.
Now that the contest is over, mind showing us how you were able to make that jump?

I'd also like to see how you guys dipped into the 55 and lower on VL2.  Very impressive stuff!

It has to be done at full speed with a boost frame perfect. 

Like I said, my score is what a normal person can hope to achieve at super mario kart with practice. You 3 in the top 3, but especially miles and pegboy know the tricks.

I knew pegboy made the ghost valley jump the second I saw his score. Its impossible to get that time without it. Im thinking maybe I can get to 55 on Vanilla lake. Would take a flawless run of not accidently barely hopping the water and losing a millisecond of speed. Once I got 59 I knew I could do a tad better and got the 57 and just called it quits.

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 05/02/2016 at 03:39 PM by quest4nes

May 2, 2016 at 4:20:24 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Mario Kart seems like it was a popular selection. Good to know, because I plan on doing "greatest hits" selection of games in several years

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131