Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

THey ever get games like Pokemon Yellow and FF7 working right?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:15:05 AM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: Oddzball

Originally posted by: darkchylde28

I think also the original NES was a little more tolerant of the sloppy construction of bootlegs, and if the manufacturers of those bootlegs got it to work, they said, "eh, good enough" and shipped it. Who was going to complain, anyway?

The AVS is a more, ahem, "sensitive" machine owing to the way the FPGA works and those same sloppy bootlegs throw a ton of different variables at it. As KHan said, if Bunnyboy had access to every variation, he could probably get them all to work (at the risk of possibly breaking something else.)

Hmm, I wonder if I should send him my personal Xexyz...

That's why I was thinking of the values of the components I know for a fact have built-in percentage based variances.  If a poorly built pirate/clone cart is hitting at the far edge of that variance (or just past the officially documented variance but actually within what the chip will actually tolerate), I would think the digital "this is the exact value and/or range" status of the virtual components inside of the FPGA could/would get hung up on this.  If that's what's going on, great!  In a sense, anyway.  Great, in that we now know specifically that it's a limitation of the FPGA itself versus bunnyboy accidentally coding for a 300 ohm resistor when it should have been 30 ohm (or such).  I think being able to point out that the handful of compatibility issues are a result of hardware limitations but can still be patched (the latter visible, but only if you read through a lot of threads which angry customers haven't been inclined to do) will go a long way to being able to assuage those upset about those specific issues as well as quiet (silence?) naysayers of the system.

Regarding your personal Xexyz, it might not be a bad idea.  However, if it were pointed out what, if any, specific component is potentially causing the timing issues, you might be able to test the values of said component right there at home.  I don't know if Xexyz has a capacitor on the board (or the odd resistor soldered onto the back somewhere, as some carts have), but if it does, it's possible you could provide the "fix" data without having to part with your cart, even temporarily.

People keep saying "sloppy" bootleg copies, yet my board in the bootlegs are pretty much the same looking/build quality as most of my other NES carts. And again, it works on a SOAC NES clone, but not the AVS? IE retro Portable DUO etc? Seems odd to me...

Well, you can't judge it by looking at the circuit board. That's like trying to diagnose a car's engine without popping the hood or starting it. You got to see how it was programmed, etc.

Plenty of original hardware have choked on bootlegs over the years.

If you want Bunny to fix it, send him a copy and return postage. It's probably only going to cost $6 or so.
I dont really know Bunny that well tbh, he hasnt even confirmed that he can or is willing to do that...

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:58:20 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I don't think you have to know him to reach out to him to work on the issue. His support email is always open.

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:07:24 AM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
What email?? I sent an email to retroUSB and their response is basically non committal about ever fixing it frankly. Is thwre someone else i should be emailing?

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:27:39 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Booted up FFVII on the Nt mini. Works fine.
This is the Advent Children version that includes the translation and other adjustments.

-------------------------

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:55:14 AM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: romevi

Booted up FFVII on the Nt mini. Works fine.
This is the Advent Children version that includes the translation and other adjustments.

Just out of curiousity, did that same copy not work on the AVS, but worked fine on the NT?

And just curious if you remember where you purchased from. Maybe we can get a running list with the most common copies out there.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:23:34 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Sorry, it was via the ROM on the SD card. I applied the patches myself.
I booted Pokemon Yellow as well after I applied the patch and it worked. Not sure about physical carts, but the ROMS through the SD card worked perfectly. At least for the 10-15 minutes I spent testing them.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:25:33 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I wonder if the patch can be applied to ones on a flash cart. Can't see any reason they couldn't.

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:41:08 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

I wonder if the patch can be applied to ones on a flash cart. Can't see any reason they couldn't.

Same thing as what I did, I would imagine. Just download the translation patches for the games and apply them to the clean ROMs.

- Socrates

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:30:00 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
To my knowledge, the NT mini supports mappers that the Everdrive/Powerpack doesn't.

One reason that I bought an FF7 cart was because it doesn't work on an Everdrive N8... the other was.... well, it's pretty awesome having FF7 NES right next to my PS1 copy on my shelf.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:12:23 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
The EverDrive and PowerPak will never run Final Fantasy VII or Pokemon Yellow. Final Fantasy VII or Pokemon Yellow are two megabyte games and the the EverDrive and PowerPak only have enough storage capacity for one megabyte games. The translated ROMs (both varieties for FFVII) appear to work fine in the Analogue Nt Mini when its flash cart function is used.

Every reproduction cart I have ever seen for these two games use 3.3v logic level flash chips. The NES expects 5v logic level chips and will work with 3.3v chips with translation buffers. Without translation buffers, the ability of a NES to work with these games is marginal and they may shorten the lifespan of your console considerably. I wonder if the original untranslated 60-pin cartridges from Shenzhen Nanjing, which should use +5v chips, would work in the AVS.

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:22:30 PM
EmperorOfTigers (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
It would be really cool if the AVS could run Pokémon Yellow. I am thinking of getting Pokémon Yellow and thinking of getting an AVS. Would be cool to see them work together.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:09:32 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

The EverDrive and PowerPak will never run Final Fantasy VII or Pokemon Yellow. Final Fantasy VII or Pokemon Yellow are two megabyte games and the the EverDrive and PowerPak only have enough storage capacity for one megabyte games. The translated ROMs (both varieties for FFVII) appear to work fine in the Analogue Nt Mini when its flash cart function is used.

Every reproduction cart I have ever seen for these two games use 3.3v logic level flash chips. The NES expects 5v logic level chips and will work with 3.3v chips with translation buffers. Without translation buffers, the ability of a NES to work with these games is marginal and they may shorten the lifespan of your console considerably. I wonder if the original untranslated 60-pin cartridges from Shenzhen Nanjing, which should use +5v chips, would work in the AVS.

That whole bull about it somehow shortening your console lifespan was kinda unfounded IMO. And Ive NEVER had it not work on probably half a dozen real consoles, so this whole marginal thing is kinda BS as well.