Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Smash TV Contest ends Sunday, 9/7/14 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:20:26 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

It is definitely much easier to play this game with 2 controllers.A single try will suffice to convince anyone

Thinking about this game makes me want to figure out how to make a joystick conveniently un-lock and rotate 90 degrees for when I build my arcade double-Advantage controller eventually...

-------------------------

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:24:57 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
EDIT: new score updated later in thread

this game is super fun!

Edited: 09/02/2014 at 05:43 PM by mattyjmania

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:50:52 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Well, keyboard controls on this one are NOT kind... I don't recommend emulating unless you have a twin-stick controller.

Wasn't as rusty as I expected, since I managed to get a few rooms into Stage 3 (died a ton during Mutoid Man, but essentially no-deathed Scarface).
Ended up with 5.4MM.

I don't remember if I ever beat this one, as a kid, but I know I used to get at least to the Cobra Twins, and made it to the MC a couple of times.

Does anyone recall if the bonus score calculates after the Cobra Twins? Or do you not rack your Stage 3/4 bonus until after the MC?
I cleared the Cobra boss in one of my playthroughs last night.  The score doesn't rack upafterwards, I went into the next room and proceeded to die and get a Game Over.  Is Stage 3 esentially the last stage?  I've never beaten this game before, hope it displays a final score tally at the end.  I'll take a pic at the final boss (assuming the next on is) before he dies as a backup plan.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:52:44 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

Well, keyboard controls on this one are NOT kind... I don't recommend emulating unless you have a twin-stick controller.

Wasn't as rusty as I expected, since I managed to get a few rooms into Stage 3 (died a ton during Mutoid Man, but essentially no-deathed Scarface).
Ended up with 5.4MM.

I don't remember if I ever beat this one, as a kid, but I know I used to get at least to the Cobra Twins, and made it to the MC a couple of times.

Does anyone recall if the bonus score calculates after the Cobra Twins? Or do you not rack your Stage 3/4 bonus until after the MC?
I cleared the Cobra boss in one of my playthroughs last night.  The score doesn't rack upafterwards, I went into the next room and proceeded to die and get a Game Over.  Is Stage 3 esentially the last stage?  I've never beaten this game before, hope it displays a final score tally at the end.  I'll take a pic at the final boss (assuming the next on is) before he dies as a backup plan.

TECHNICALLY it is "Stage 4" after the Cobra Twins and before the MC, I think.

There should only be a couple of rooms before you get to the final boss, who is basically an extremely sup'd up version of Mutoid Man.

The game should definitely do the final bonus tally following the last boss fight, otherwise Stage 3/4 wouldn't yield any bonus points and that sort of goes against the entire design of the game.

Edited: 09/02/2014 at 03:53 PM by arch_8ngel

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:48:30 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
this game is SO much fun...also...WHY THE FUCK dont i own the SNES version of it?? i swore i did, but went to look and nope...

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:52:29 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

this game is SO much fun...also...WHY THE FUCK dont i own the SNES version of it?? i swore i did, but went to look and nope...
The SNES version is certainly much more true to the arcade roots.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:45:46 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Update 09.07.14: 7,809,835
died on key room 1...again

Edited: 09/07/2014 at 10:16 AM by mattyjmania

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:00:44 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
(old score removed).

Edited: 09/05/2014 at 10:19 PM by fatalfuryspecial

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:03:32 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I need to knock off the rust when I can play again on thursday. I beat the arcade version and the snes version back then,so I should be able to best this one with a bit of practice.

This past weekend for kicks I wanted to see if I could play around and try to emulate the two controller setup on nestopia. No dice,but I did end up making it to where I could control two players simultaneously which was sort of cool but not all that effective and definitely against the contest rules.

So one controller it will be for me.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:49:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I need to knock off the rust when I can play again on thursday. I beat the arcade version and the snes version back then,so I should be able to best this one with a bit of practice.

This past weekend for kicks I wanted to see if I could play around and try to emulate the two controller setup on nestopia. No dice,but I did end up making it to where I could control two players simultaneously which was sort of cool but not all that effective and definitely against the contest rules.

So one controller it will be for me.

I was doing two controllers with the keyboard in nestopia.

you just have to set up your input map with everything rotated 90 deg.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:58:33 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
i am now determined to beat this thing

so so so close!

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:22:02 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

so so so close!

Yeah, I'd definitely like to beat it, since I know as a kid I only ever made it to the final boss.

My 2nd play-through on the keyboard controls I reached the "Total Carnage" room in Stage 3, just over 6MM pts.

Hopefully switching to actual d-pads will take it up a notch and let me beat it...

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:47:55 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

so so so close!

Yeah, I'd definitely like to beat it, since I know as a kid I only ever made it to the final boss.

My 2nd play-through on the keyboard controls I reached the "Total Carnage" room in Stage 3, just over 6MM pts.

Hopefully switching to actual d-pads will take it up a notch and let me beat it...

double controller is SO clutch

I want to use the NES advantage once the contest is over, if i dont beat it with the double D pads

but i have a feeling a will

its just taking a toll on my wrists

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:57:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So a tip: use the shields as a melee weapon to save ammo!

I save-stated my way to the end boss, just to get my feel for the game back, and you should probably be well over 8MM by the time you reach the MC.

The two key rooms are BRUTAL. They seem ENDLESS, but they are worth a ton of points, and other than a couple of really rough patches are survivable.

Biggest tip for the end boss: try to stay above or to the side. He has lasers that almost reach the opposite end of the screen.
Grenades will get you killed on that stage.

Final bonus tally is considerable (almost 2MM on my run), so you end up with well over 10MM overall.

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 05:57 PM by arch_8ngel

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:43:15 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

So a tip: use the shields as a melee weapon to save ammo!

I save-stated my way to the end boss, just to get my feel for the game back, and you should probably be well over 8MM by the time you reach the MC.

The two key rooms are BRUTAL. They seem ENDLESS, but they are worth a ton of points, and other than a couple of really rough patches are survivable.

Biggest tip for the end boss: try to stay above or to the side. He has lasers that almost reach the opposite end of the screen.
Grenades will get you killed on that stage.

Final bonus tally is considerable (almost 2MM on my run), so you end up with well over 10MM overall.

I'm sure the MC is the same or similar,but with Mutoid Man if you stay northeast or northwest of him,he's pretty harmless as he won't try to run you down. With a one controller setup,what works well for me for the grunts is to stay away from the doors and move in a circular pattern. Or course if other types of enemies are present then I have to alter that strategy. Using the shield is awesome as a melee weapon. And be sure to keep shooting the bosses even as they are blowing up as you will still get points for shooting them...at least you do for Mutoid Man,so I suspect you do for the others.

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 08:44 PM by gutsman004

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:21:10 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
got a higher score than the one posted...but im not satisfied until i beat this shit

so close

stupid ass key rooms keep killing me

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:00:25 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Any thoughts on the best path?

I have been doing:

Stage 1: upper path to treasure room

Stage 2: lower path to lower treasure room

Stage 3: upper path to upper treasure room

I haven't really given the upper path on Stage 2 any attempts, so I don't know how that stands relative to the lower path.

But I see a distinct difference in the difficulty of the upper and lower paths on Stage 3.

The lower path seems to have much larger varieties of enemies per room, where the upper path is just tank-heavy and horde-heavy.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:19:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I have been doing:

I haven't really given the upper path on Stage 2 any attempts, so I don't know how that stands relative to the lower path.

But I see a distinct difference in the difficulty of the upper and lower paths on Stage 3.

The lower path seems to have much larger varieties of enemies per room, where the upper path is just tank-heavy and horde-heavy.

I will try to explore each path on each stage although tonight is the opening game of the NFL season so I will be glued to the TV for a few hours.

Edited: 09/04/2014 at 08:20 PM by gutsman004

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:02:19 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I have been doing:

I will try to explore each path on each stage although tonight is the opening game of the NFL season so I will be glued to the TV for a few hours.

I've been taking the upper path everytime because it seems to be the longest and therefore most lucrative one to take score wise.

Also, I cleared the game last night, and just incase anybody misses taking a picture during the score tally up, don't worry, you'll get a second chance.  After the credits roll, you get the default Game Over screen that shows your total score.

Edited: 09/04/2014 at 09:02 PM by Balloon_Kid

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:44:25 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Ugh! I've always been terrible at this game even on SNES.  Finally beat Mutoid Man though.  I don't know if I can do much better than this.

Gotta use the 2 controller method.  This game is damn near impossible otherwise.

Edited: 09/04/2014 at 09:44 PM by JamesRobot

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:21:21 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Edited score.

Edited: 09/07/2014 at 07:48 PM by gutsman004

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:58:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
How far did you get with a score like that?

Unless you got past the twin cobra boss, I don't think you can have quite that many points without the spamming Guillavoie mentioned (though I am sure it was unintentional)

edit: don't mean that to sound accusatory, it is just that I have never seen more than 7.5MM by the time you reach the twin cobras, and I am VERY thorough.

2nd edit:  it occurs to me that it may be a consequence of playing single-controller versus dual-controller, in that with a single controller you probably spend more time maneuvering and NOT shooting, versus dual-controller your kill-speed is likely higher, thus impacting the item spawn count.  

It very well may be that it takes you 10%-15% longer to get through most levels with just one controller.

Edited: 09/05/2014 at 09:45 AM by arch_8ngel

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:46:20 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

I've been taking the upper path everytime because it seems to be the longest and therefore most lucrative one to take score wise.

Also, I cleared the game last night, and just incase anybody misses taking a picture during the score tally up, don't worry, you'll get a second chance.  After the credits roll, you get the default Game Over screen that shows your total score.
The room count for the top and bottom paths should be identical.

Only the middle path (with no bonus room access) is shorter.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:58:28 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Unless you got past the twin cobra boss, I don't think you can have quite that many points without the spamming Guillavoie mentioned (though I am sure it was unintentional)

edit: don't mean that to sound accusatory, it is just that I have never seen more than 7.5MM by the time you reach the twin cobras, and I am VERY thorough.

2nd edit:  it occurs to me that it may be a consequence of playing single-controller versus dual-controller, in that with a single controller you probably spend more time maneuvering and NOT shooting, versus dual-controller your kill-speed is likely higher, thus impacting the item spawn count.  

It very well may be that it takes you 10%-15% longer to get through most levels with just one controller.

I have played many a contests with guts and never once suspected him of cheating, nor do i now, however i am also curious, not accusing like Arch, how he got the score that high

again, def not accusing as i know he is more than a stand up guy/player

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:01:27 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I think you're on the money (pun intended) with this idea.

Since playing with two controllers is easier than playing with one controller, I think you deserve a higher score playing the harder way.

---

As far as pathing goes, I always take the upper path.  I don't think this is true but I feel if I'm not careful taking the lower path that I'll miss the bonus room.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 09/05/2014 at 10:02 AM by arnpoly