Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

OCD Collectors taking originality of video game preservation to the Extreme Is it a mental disorder or extreme nitpicking

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:36:52 AM
kwaza (3)
(Ricky T.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
So lately, Ive been noticing a trend in some video game collectors becoming way to obsessive in the condition of their games. For example, ive noticed that some collectors will refuse to buy any games that have any type of damage to the labels of their games. That includes tiny scratches, scuff marks, label peeling, corner damage of any kind. For example, a few weeks ago, I sold an NES game in basically mint condition on Ebay without any scratches or scuff marks on the label. However, the buyer returned the game for a refund because apparently one of the bottom corners of the label was peeling slightly. Really, people are now complaing about peeling of labels, sigh. I didnt mention it in the description because quite honestly, I couldnt even tell it was peeling, it was extremely minor. Heck, when I recieved it back, it wasnt peeling that much, not even 1/4th of inch was it peeled off. The corner wasnt even ripped or anything. But whatever, I got it back and gave refund. Sold it again and second buyer was very happy and was impressed with condition. Go figure.

Also, ive been reading that some collectors wont even use any type of abrasives to clean their games pins. Understandable to a certain point but not entirely. Some collectors condone using Brasso or rubber pencil erasers to clean any corrosion on the pins of their games because they remove the metal on the pins. Apparently to them, it kills the value of their games. Like seriously, these products only remove like a tiny miniscule layer of metal on the pins, its not like these products completely destroy the games to make them unplayable. Its only when you scrub the hell out of the pins with these products that it starts doing damage to the pins. Using small amounts will not do much harm. I use a product called Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish to clean my games and only a tiny amount with a paper towel will wipe off all grime and corrosion without causing any damage.

Then there are the really OCD collectors that will only buy disc based games that have absolutely no scratches at all. They only want MINT like new condition. I guess I would want all my games like new as well, but come on, when they start complaining about 1 tiny scratch on a semi mint disc or any micro scratches that are only visible on cetain angles of the light, thats just taking it to the extreme. Heck, Ive seen some collectors complain about small amounts of corner wear on their games manuals and cover art. Like seriously, youre in a market that sells used games that can be 10 to 40 years old, of course most games out there are gonna have some sort of wear from previous handling and use.

Some people wont even buy disc based games that have been resurfaced in any way. Their argument being that they remove layers of the disc making the game unplayable. I believe this statement to be a untrue. For example, I have an expensive disc buffing machine (RTI Eco Pro 2) in which I use to repair disc based games. It does an excllent job at repairing and removing most scratches on a disc. Ive put some games with really bad scratches for long amounts of time in the machine and never had much trouble playing them. Basically, from my understanding of these machines, you can put a disc inside it for over an hour and it still wont reach the data layers. Just buffers the disc enough to remove or minimize the scratches.

Heck, im not even gonna get into replacement labels, replacemement cases, exchanged cart back covers or Game Rom PCB donor swaps. I dont agree with fake repros but I do feel some replacement parts are ok in certain situations. Il leave this area alone though as this is considered the gray area of game preservation.

Sorry for my rant, just thought id share some of my frustrations with how very obsessive some collectors are starting to become. Im not an OCD collector, I dont mind some wear on my games, as long as they are original games and work fine with minor repairs that are needed. If one of my games no longer saves, then I will resodder a new battery and be happy it saves again. I wont complain about the value just because the original battery is no longer installed like some OCD collectors do.

Edited: 03/08/2017 at 05:07 AM by kwaza

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:01:53 AM
The Age of Genesis (17)
< Crack Trooper >
It's nice to have stuff in mint condition, but a little wear and tear gives a game some character. I didn't keep my games from childhood mint. There are limits, though. Expecting something to be completely scuff free is unreasonable. You're probably going to scuff it yourself on accident. A peeling label I would be annoyed with if it wasn't mentioned in the description. It's easy to find games without peeling labels.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:02:36 AM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
I've seen these types of collectors too. To each their own but it seems like you're going to stress yourself out more than anything by being that picky. I just question how much they are enjoying the hobby at that point.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:03:38 AM
abandoned_account (6)

< Crack Trooper >
Alaska
The only way to really preserve your games is to encase them in amber. They'll stay minty that way, and in 65 million years they'll be able to drill out the digital DNA and clone Mario and Sonic.

-------------------------
This account has been abandoned.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:04:49 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Personally I want my games as Mint as possible, and will pay well for condition. In terms of selling on eBay, make sure you list your items as "Good" or "Acceptable" and you should instantly weed out a good portion of the "OCD" type as you would describe them. If you list anything as Like New, or sometimes even Very Good, then it had better look quite nice or you may be setting yourself up for a complaint.

On the flipside, I have noticed a ton of people selling "Like New" or "Very Good" stuff that has all sorts of undisclosed damages. I got a Genesis game with ink writing in the manual, an NES game with the rear manual cover ripped off, TG16 CIBs with significant creases (one even missing an inner flap), and that was all within the last month. Even I know better than to expect Mint (you'll always be disappointed), but severe flaws like this should be disclosed.

Ultimately it's a fine balance between the two. Everyone has their own condition preferences and they should be listed as appropriate to avoid any unhappy buyers.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:12:32 AM
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
About five years ago I knew a guy who collected N64 cart only. He was so obsessed with condition that he would buy sealed games, open them, and take the cart out. He is who I got most of my N64 "heavy hitter" boxes from. He probably opened 30-40 sealed games, no joke!

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:12:58 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I guess I would put myself in the middle somewhere, it "completely" depends on what I paid for it.

If I pay the price of a mint/very good game and once I get it it is nowhere near that, I would be upset.

If I see a game with some wear and it is considerably under market value, bet your ass I am going to get it, especially if I want to play it.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:13:07 AM
MarioRomano (0)

(Mario Romano) < Cherub >
Connecticut
I support this OCD type of collecting. More scraps for me  

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:15:57 AM
kwaza (3)
Arizona
Originally posted by: Mike_TV

The only way to really preserve your games is to encase them in amber. They'll stay minty that way, and in 65 million years they'll be able to drill out the digital DNA and clone Mario and Sonic.

Haha true. Now ive noticed this alot as well lately where people put their expensive games in clear cases. I think this is fine, no beef with people who do this. I own a Little Samson in nice condition but I dont feel it needs to be encased in a clear plastic case forever, never to be played. I play that sucker every few months and store it next to all my other NES carts. The only times I agree with encasing games in clear cases are for protecting sealed games or for displaying games as trophies on a shelf or something. Ive always felt games were meant to be played, not be displayed as trophies. Too each their own though, we all collect for different reasons.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:21:46 AM
kwaza (3)
Arizona
Originally posted by: Milwaukee_Nintendo

About five years ago I knew a guy who collected N64 cart only. He was so obsessed with condition that he would buy sealed games, open them, and take the cart out. He is who I got most of my N64 "heavy hitter" boxes from. He probably opened 30-40 sealed games, no joke!

Damn, thats crazy. This is exactly what I mean about OCD collectors. Having to buy new copies in order get mint carts is the best way to get like new. I just feel sorry for peoples wallets when they collect this way. Hey, at least you benefited from him and getting all the boxes  

Edited: 02/22/2017 at 09:22 AM by kwaza

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:53:46 AM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Theres a lot of ocd guys who like it mint, me being an example. But i still say screw those people you describe because some of those techniques are just too extreme and unnecessary overkill. Case in point, take the nes shell which is practically bomb proof and these ocd people treat them like artifacts by putting a cart in a sealed baggie. I get the whole protecting a box and manual since paper is much more fragile and i get the whole preservation and condition is everything. But at the end of the day i guess its to each their own.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:02:36 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Theres an amount of mental illness that people dont always talk about. Why else would someone buy games they have no intention of playing, just to put a check mark on their list? Im into having good quality games, but theres a balance to being picky, and being crazy. And theres also a balance of 'am I getting a very good deal because the game is slightly damaged or at this price I should just wait for a mint one'.

I would say selling super high end games that are badly damaged is probably the hardest thing to do aside from just doing a 99 cent auction. Anyone thats gonna spend big money on a game might as well just get it in the best shape they can.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:05:17 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I was selling some games last year and the guy asked me for angled pictures of the label gloss. Definitely felt that was overkill.

As for end label damage or corner peeling I will absolutely turn it down immediately unless it's a great deal. I'm a stickler about having good labels but won't get upset about them not being "mint."

May the force be with you.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:08:12 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Theres an amount of mental illness that people dont always talk about. Why else would someone buy games they have no intention of playing, just to put a check mark on their list? Im into having good quality games, but theres a balance to being picky, and being crazy. And theres also a balance of 'am I getting a very good deal because the game is slightly damaged or at this price I should just wait for a mint one'.

I would say selling super high end games that are badly damaged is probably the hardest thing to do aside from just doing a 99 cent auction. Anyone thats gonna spend big money on a game might as well just get it in the best shape they can.

I'm absolutely up for buying damaged high end games but if I were to I expect to get a decent discount from the fair market price.

May the force be with you.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:11:43 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Originally posted by: guitarzombie

I'm absolutely up for buying damaged high end games but if I were to I expect to get a decent discount from the fair market price.

Of course, but its tough to judge whats 'fair'.  I saw someone selling a Samson that looked like it was dug out of a hole, like completely yellowed like a Clemens cart, and the label ripped and almost devoid of color.  I think they were asking 725.  At that point, why not just save a bit more and get one in great shape?

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:15:03 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I have a bigger problem with people throwing the OCD term around like that. Real OCD is a major problem, being anal about the condition of video games is nothing in comparison.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:23:28 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: jonebone

Personally I want my games as Mint as possible, and will pay well for condition. In terms of selling on eBay, make sure you list your items as "Good" or "Acceptable" and you should instantly weed out a good portion of the "OCD" type as you would describe them. If you list anything as Like New, or sometimes even Very Good, then it had better look quite nice or you may be setting yourself up for a complaint.

This. Even when I am selling a mint game that has no issues that I can see/touch/taste/hear I still list them this way just to weed out possible issues.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:27:02 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: empire

I have a bigger problem with people throwing the OCD term around like that. Real OCD is a major problem, being anal about the condition of video games is nothing in comparison.
yep. yr just being picky, or a dick trying to save a buck during a sale, not OCD. 

"oh, i spent the last three hours organizing my games, I have OCD." - no, you have bad time management skills.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:27:49 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
Other
Personally I think a bit of damage adds some character. I'm definitely not at Paul's level of love for the bashed and broken carts, but I like getting deals and am more than glad to save some cash. That being said, yellowing and discoloring of plastic really bothers me (looking at you, barrelsAndRivets' SNES collection...)

However, I can't completely dismiss the OCD collectors. With few exceptions, none of these are one-of-a-kind items. There are thousands if not millions of copies out there. To each their own if you ask me.

I don't even bother trying to unload non-VG+ stuff on ebay for the exact reasons you outline. Local trade-in is how I usually approach those.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:34:26 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
What is a good word to use if someone is a little too obsessive about the organization and condition of games?
I get it -- You apparently can't be 'slightly OCD' or be 'on the OCD spectrum'. You're either balls-deep into obsessively washing your hands and reseating that hat on the hat rack for hours, or you ain't OCD, right? So what's a good term to use? Overly Anal?  
Disclaimer: Not trying to make fun of people with real OCD -- I've almost never said 'OCD' that I know of, but I certainly hear it misused a lot. I'm just curious what term people should be saying instead  

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 02/22/2017 at 10:36 AM by NickTLG

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:48:49 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
I have actual doctor-diagnosed severe OCD and everything in the OP applies directly to me, except for all the shitty attachments he's added like the constant complaining and the returning of everything that isn't 100% perfect. Funny because he's attaching shitty practices from people who probably don't even have OCD onto the reputation of those who do. I'm not an offended Starbucks-hipster and of course you can speak in any manner you please, just sucks to see collectors like myself who take pride in their dealings and integrity to other collectors being broadly painted that way. I just buy things as mint as possible and hope for the best that it shows up safely. I buy what meets my standards of condition and pass on what doesn't. I don't feel like there's a lot of meat on an argument against that.

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:02:18 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
If it's a game that's important to me, I'll pay for better condition. But for the most part I'll take a scuff or too if that means it's cheaper. I collect CIB, going for pristine copies would be frustrating and expensive

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:02:28 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Yeah, some people can be picky, but I don't mind. It's what they want.

I'm personally not like that to that extreme, but I do buy any regular normal wear condition game first, and later if I want to upgrade, I use the worn cart as trade bait toward the minty cart as to soften the blow on the price. Of course, if it's something very slight, I'm still cool with it and hold onto it just in case something else better comes along. The cycle continues...

But-- there are people who just have buyers remorse and try to find every minuscule thing wrong with it to want to return it. So there's that you might want to take in consideration, although I would say not everyone's like that though.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:02:52 AM
kwaza (3)
Arizona
Originally posted by: cirellio

What is a good word to use if someone is a little too obsessive about the organization and condition of games?
I get it -- You apparently can't be 'slightly OCD' or be 'on the OCD spectrum'. You're either balls-deep into obsessively washing your hands and reseating that hat on the hat rack for hours, or you ain't OCD, right? So what's a good term to use? Overly Anal?  
Disclaimer: Not trying to make fun of people with real OCD -- I've almost never said 'OCD' that I know of, but I certainly hear it misused a lot. I'm just curious what term people should be saying instead  
Naaah, I really do consider some collectors to have OCD, a good 5-10% of collectors. Ive dealt with very picky collectors before and those are easier to deal with although still annoying. The OCD collectors im referring too are the ones who have set goal and never change their minds about their collecting habits. People who buy only complete mint copies, no damage at all, with every single manual, inserts and plastic inside. If one thing is missing, they wont buy it. Or the ones who protect all their games in plastic baggies and on top of that, seal each one in clear plastic cases for extra protection, because god forbid 1 little tiny scratch to the label will destroy its value.

Cant forget the collectors who avoid all players choice, Nintendo Selects or similar rereleases like the plague. To them, it must be first edition or its worthless. And worst of all, I consider sealed game collectors to have the most OCD of all. You know, the ones who lower a games value significantly, almost to half the value all based on 1 tiny little rip or tear or scratch on the plastic. Now im not saying all sealed game collectors are like that, im just saying i notice more people like that in that area of game collecting.

Edited: 02/22/2017 at 11:16 AM by kwaza

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:07:19 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I always try to buy games as close to mint as possible. I'd pay more just for a better condition. As Jonebone said a lot of people list things as "like new" and when I receive them - they're not even close to "like new". I'm very forgiving when it comes to condition. I mean there's a fine line btween "like new" and "very good". I never expect a game in perfect condition no matter how it's listed. But there is a HUGE difference between "like new" and "acceptable". If I buy a game labelled as mint and I receive it and there's a tiny scratch on the disc or two, whatever I'm not going to return it and it won't bother me much. But if there are a ton of scratches and the case is cake in grime , or a cardboard box is ripped or crushed, but was labelled as mint - then we've got a problem. Another trend I've noticed lately is if something is CIB the seller will rate the condition of the disc/cartridge only. "Like new" cartridge/disc is great, but then I get the game and the box is crushed or ripped or has an unremovable sticker, or whatever. It sucks because I rate the package as a whole, not just of the media itself.

Regardless of all that, there are some super picky collectors out there, you can't please everyone, and as such I always list my stuff a grade lower than I think it should be to keep expectations a bit lower so they're not disappointed. And by the same token I expect things I order to be a grade lower than its listed for and usually I'm not disappointed, but other times I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edited: 02/22/2017 at 11:07 AM by AstralSoul13