Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ebay Return - Item as undescribed qeusiton

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:53:34 PM
Tom Cruise (0)
(J R) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Hey guys just curious about a return. I bought 4 vectrex games from an ebay seller with manuals and the poicture showed everything to be in nice shape. The listing stated the condition was simply used, no acceptable or anything like that. The description was that what was included in the pictures was what you got. So I bought them and everything was in good shape except when I opened the manuals they all had high scores written in the back. This wasn{t mentioned anywhere in the listing, nor was it in the photos. So I contacted the seller and he basically told me to screw off and that he wouldn't accept a return so I opened a case. And I stated the items were not as described by the pictures. there was no indication the manuals had been damaged by pen. And he sent me the following: 

This transaction was for a multi-item lot of 35 year old consumer items. These items are used and were described as such. They are not described as new, mint or like-new or collector's quality. The manuals, including the high score tables shown in the buyer's detailed photos, were previously used for their intended purpose. There is no conflict between the description of the items in the original listing the items that the buyer received. They are used items and there was no advertised or implied purpose of these items which has expired. The purpose of the high score tables inside of the manuals is to write high scores in them. The high score tables are used. They are still able to be used some more and the item is as described.

He basically says that he is right because he stated as used, but my question is will ebay still protect me under the money back guarentee as the items had damage to them that wasn't mentioned? 

Thank all! 

-------------------------
I feel the need.... the need for SPEED.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:56:49 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
eBay might side with you simply because you're the buyer. What was it listed as...wholesale lots? System? The category affects the condition being "used" instead of "acceptable" as you know, and honestly, I'm not sure that writing in the manual really counts for not as described here, even though I completely agree that that is something we as buyers would want to know before buying something.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:03:28 AM
Tom Cruise (0)
(J R) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I just checked and it was listed as video games and consoles > wholesale lots > games. The reason why I think it should be not as described is because the pictures hide any sort of damage and he made zero attempt to reveal the fact that they were marked on the high score pages. I would say that anything added after they left the factory would count as damage. But I guess well see.

I feel the need.... the need for SPEED.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:38:05 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
You might win a case. But I personally agree with the seller.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:45:00 AM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
It doesn't matter, eBay will side with you. But the seller is being a dick. This same thing happened to me, but I was the seller. I didn't realize some CIB Genesis games I was selling had some high scores and codes written in them. I listed them as very good or like new, but didn't mention any writing. The buyer unnecessarily confrontational and seemed pretty bummed when I offered him some money back but he accepted. Some people are just tools.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:12:00 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
How is the seller being a jerk? Honestly, I agree with the seller too. It was listed as a used lot, what you see is what you get sort of thing. How was that not as described?

OP - in my opinion, if you're going to be this picky on condition for used items, then do yourself a favor when the listings are minimally described and reach out to your potential sellers with a simple message stating you're a collector, and you're curious if there is any notable damage to worry about (rips/tears/ink/stickers etc). I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the seller likely had no idea and you did get what was pictured. It was purely communication, and not sure that solely falls on the seller. Same with expecting games to be shipped in a box, a simple message can go a long way.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:18:55 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah, I think you're being the problem in this transaction. It would be one thing if it was one game listed as Mint, or even Like New and perhaps Very Good. But when you get into a "Used" lot or an "Acceptable" game, wear that you didn't see is not a valid reason for a return. It is impossible to take a photo of every single aspect of every single item in a large lot and a buyer should have a reasonable expectation that some items will be in better condition than others.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:06:04 AM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I buy a good amount of stuff on eBay and have purchased stuff just because it came up and didn't thoroughly read the condition or look at all the pictures. I am at fault for buying that stuff without taking the time to look at it properly or for not reaching out to the seller for better clarification. I would think good shape would be intact possibly with some writing on it and creases ( cgc 4.0 ) but if it was acceptable I would think holding on for dear life near the stapling and stains (like a cgc 2.0 comic). Again that varies from person to person.

Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:13:18 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Personally, I wouldn't care about that... but I feel like writing in manuals at least deserves a mention. I guess he could justify it by saying 'used' means that these tables were used.... but still, you should let someone know. And it wasn't a huge lot, just 4 games. That should be easy enough to flip through in a few seconds. Even if the guy was selling huge lots you could do what some other big sellers do and say they may or may not have markings inside.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:23:16 AM
alpenanews0506 (78)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
OP - You seem to have a lot of trouble with buying and selling on eBay between all of your refund, partial refund and not as described threads you create here. Maybe you should find another avenue to buy and sell games through. What you are doing now does not seem to be working for you.

Edited: 01/05/2018 at 12:06 PM by alpenanews0506

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:04:43 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
I love when I find stuff like that in games. My copy of MUSHA had a small review written in the back by the previous owner who was most likely a teenage boy. It was fun to read his review. i don't see why people get up in arms on this kind of stuff.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:18:48 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
So were the photos of the manuals in the listing? Did the photos show the high score tables?

Sounds like you didn't check out the photos well enough and are trying to blame the seller for buyer's remorse.

I personally don't see a problem in the seller's point of view.

If you want dead mint items, don't buy anything not listed as mint!

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:45:52 PM
BigHero1006 (26)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
I agree with some of the above however, it makes me wonder about the seller. A good EBay seller would accept the return of the items (on your dime for postage) and reissue the auction or BIN with corrections. At least that is what I would do.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
I agree with the Seller here.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:06:38 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
No matter the outcome, at least you did right by contacting the seller first. I had a lady neg me without contacting me, and when I contacted her about it, she went up in arms and had nothing to do with me. It was all because the items I sold her (old 80s toys) had rust on them that I neglected to post (I didn't see it, yet it was obvious that an old toy is going to rust). She said she was going to get a refund and keep the items and even threaten litigation on me if I contacted her again so I just contacted Ebay and they sided in my favor.

I'm siding with the seller because I've been in his/her situation. We all make mistakes and may even miss things when listing, but with condition being subjective to begin with, it's going to be difficult to get what you want if you don't ask questions first and neither side communicates.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:09:37 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Yeah, gonna have to side with the seller here. You seem to have a lot of issues with transactions on eBay...

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:13:31 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Yeah, gonna have to side with the seller here. You seem to have a lot of issues with transactions on eBay...

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:51:02 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
It's so annoying to do every possible thing you can documenting the condition of the item only for the seller to go UM ACKSHUALLY I DESERVE MY MONEY BACK AND TO KEEP THE ITEM and there's nothing you can do because eBay hates sellers and people are constantly abusing this system
Seriously considering quitting eBay over this, not saying you're doing this but I really wish people would remember sellers are people too, and are only human, most consider things like a little writing in the part of the book specifically designated for writing in to be a non-issue, and don't have time for being yanked around with bullshit when we're just trying to get money to buy food and not everybody is an expert on everything they're selling
I seriously had a buyer scam me for a refund over a $7 DLC code that was definitely still valid when I sent it to them, and had a buyer scam me because an expensive Sega CD game got a crack in shipping even though I packed it as well as I could, and in both cases they got to keep the money and the item
Again, not saying this is you or anything, but this is to everyone, if you ever see that start to become you, please knock that shit off for the good of the community
Less sellers feeling kind and generous in dealing with customers, their patience being exhausted, will have a chilling effect, and the deals that we love to search for will gradually slide towards non-existence if people keep up this behavior because why bother?
One of the greatest things about NA is that it's infinitely more fair and equal to buyers and sellers over eBay

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:18:50 PM
Vanzant (0)
< Little Mac >
I'm not going to take a side over this. However, what I can tell you is that going forward, you should "Ask the seller" and list your basic questions / concerns before making a purchase.

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:02:33 PM
gliptitude (0)
(J D) < Crack Trooper >
Ohio
I think it is worth noting the price of these items, how they were presented, and that they were listed under "wholesale lots".

Here is the item listing, which actually sold at a negotiated price that was about 20% less than the BIN price still listed on that page:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectrex-...

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:21:49 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
I would not expect the seller to open and examine each manual and describe the condition of each page. "Used" covers it. Unless he specifically stated that the condition was "mint" or "like new" or at least "excellent," this is the kind of thing I would expect. I would personally have absolutely no problem with it.

Edited: 01/07/2018 at 07:37 PM by Ichinisan

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:25:14 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: beardcore84

I love when I find stuff like that in games. My copy of MUSHA had a small review written in the back by the previous owner who was most likely a teenage boy. It was fun to read his review. i don't see why people get up in arms on this kind of stuff.

You have a picture of that?  

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:00:04 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: gliptitude

Here is the item listing, 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectrex-...

About what I expected. The manuals are closed and there is nothing said regarding the condition or interior and they are "used". Nothing is wrong with this listing IMO even if every line was written on.

I mostly buy and almost never sell so that's my perspective.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:11:00 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Nightmare buyers keep me up at night. Literally. I mean, all it takes is one guy trying to screw me over an UltraHDMI and there goes nearly a thousand dollars and a lot of my financial stability for the next few months.

OP: Sellers are people too. Please don't be a monster.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:15:37 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Originally posted by: beardcore84

You have a picture of that?  

Robert Hunter, wherever you are, nice review!  

Edit: Sorry this image is so huge. I tried editing it three times to make it smaller but it won't get any smaller.  

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Edited: 01/07/2018 at 08:17 PM by beardcore84