Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Need Help with Game & Watch Restoration Squish needs metallic decal

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:56:15 PM
melodious_punk (2)
(Kevin Fredericks) < Crack Trooper >
Nevada
I am restoring a Squish Game & Watch. It was in really bad condition with a shattered case, faded polarizer, and warped cel screen. 

The final piece I need to address is the faceplate/decal. It is missing entirely and this item is intended for historical accuracy. I am inclined to leave it in current condition, but if anyone has a Squish G&W and could provide a scan it would really help. I can create a reproduction decal on a metallic sticker, and some info on the thickness and material of the G&W decals would also be really helpful.

GUT REACTION WARNING: I am an Anthropology Graduate developing an exhibit for the University of Nevada, Reno on the history of handheld gaming for the Kids University summer program. I am not profiting from fake reproductions.

-------------------------
Force without justice is violence. Justice without force is useless.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:33:17 AM
dry_bowser (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I have one and I'll try to get you a scan. You need the plate that is on top of the lid when closed correct?

When you say warped cel screen, do you mean the silver reflector behind the LCD? Any pointers on how to restore that?

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:26:54 AM
melodious_punk (2)
(Kevin Fredericks) < Crack Trooper >
Nevada
I would be very grateful. Yes, the metallic plate on top with the art is missing. Does it feel like the aluminum plates from old Archer/Radio Shack equipment? Like the kind that would bend and deform if peeled off?

By "cel screen" I mean the graphical overlay on the top and bottom screens. And it's not great yet. I should have taken pictures for others' curiousity. I am currently applying VERY gentle heat and lots of flattening pressure with clamps and polished steel. I'm also using this process to flatten a deformed CIB Game Boy box I recently acquired and it's a slow but reliable process.

As for the silver reflector, what are you experiencing? I wonder if I could get better contrast with a little polishing. If you boil silver in water with aluminum foil and baking soda it removes all tarnish.

-------------------------
Force without justice is violence. Justice without force is useless.

May 16, 2018 at 4:55:11 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I know this post is old but I can answer some.

The silver reflector behind the LCD is called a polarizer and you can buy them on ebay or elsewhere, then it would be a matter of cutting it to fit. If you had the further tech you could I suppose try and print the old screen art to it, but even without at least the game is visible. Each 90 degree turn of that polarizer (with the right side forward) will either work or not, just need to figure out which. That polarizer is the same one you'll also find in that whole family of Gameboy 8bit handhelds and in those it's not a separate piece but it's glued to the back of the lower (there are 2 plates) level of glass that makes up the LCD panel.

The top part of that G&W with Squish on it, that is just like those archer/radio shack overly thin metal based stickers they used completely. If you could get someone who can (or if you can) get such materials and then get the kind of inks that match and would adhere to it you could repop the top of the thing, and I would bet you could have a healthy business of it on ebay as I don't remember those being made when I used to own the things years ago as I once had a collection I've mostly sold away.