Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So I decided to play (and complete) Zelda II... II > I

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:38:30 AM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
The Dark Souls of Zelda is the secret best Zelda.

-------------------------

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:54:03 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I never understood why some bash this game really. 
My guess would be that the learning curve is too steep for some people and they aren't willing to learn to play the game.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:57:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
This game was a hit and really popular when it came out. Not sure exactly what happened with all these people hating on it. It's completely unfounded. This game is as awesome now as it was back then. I still prefer the first one,but not by much.

On a side note,Simon's Quest gets the same treatment with just about the same circumstances and I love that game too.

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:00:25 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bootload

I played it for 2 weeks but found myself dying in the caves a lot and would have to walk all the way from the town back to the cave I was in but it took forever because I kept running into those stupid monsters on the map and having to walk to the end of the screen before I could get back to the map again. It's incredibly annoying. Then I get back into the cave and have no idea where to go.
I have finished:

- The Legend Of Zelda
- The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
- The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
- The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Dragon Warrior
- Dragin Warrior II
- Dragon Warrior III

All of these games are similar but not nearly as annoying. After 2 weeks of trying I didn't even want to play it any more.

You see, you have personal and valid reasons to not like it, that is okay in my book.

P.S. I don't get the mention of DW I-III in your post, but kudos for beating these cool RPG!

I found those also stop you on the map to make you deal with an immediate situation but they have a point, you battle for gold and experience. With Zelda II, they stop you on the map but it's pointless, all you're really trying to do is get back to the map. It's a waste of time. That's why I mentioned those.
No, it's just like any other RPG in the fact that those encounters are experience building.

They aren't as efficient at building experience as traditional RPG encounters, though, given the larger static EXP rewards that exist in Zelda 2 that are there to find.

I think part of the "issue" with a newcomer perspective to Zelda 2, is that if you treat it like a traditional RPG, you probably don't expect to die nearly as much as you will and that might be frustrating.

But anybody picking up the game for the first time needs to know that they will die A LOT until they learn the game and where to go to get stronger, faster.
That is going to involve exploration and figuring out the safest places to get early powerups.

And that exploration is going to involve missteps into areas you can't survive that kill you quickly.  It's the nature of the game.

Unlike the original Legend of Zelda, you don't have a nice screen-by-screen reference for difficulty, where you can't turn back quickly and run to safety.
You could be on a path for awhile and suddenly find yourself massively outclassed by the local monsters.

Unlike the 3D Zelda games, you don't have the fairly linear hand-holding of regional progression, or more hit points than you know what to do with.

It's definitely the hardest Zelda game, by far.  But having the patience to learn the game is worth it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:53:51 AM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

This game was a hit and really popular when it came out. Not sure exactly what happened with all these people hating on it.

All the casual grrrrl gamers in later years latched on to Zelda, but found Zelda II too challenging, and so hated it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:15:32 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I played it for 2 weeks but found myself dying in the caves a lot and would have to walk all the way from the town back to the cave I was in but it took forever because I kept running into those stupid monsters on the map and having to walk to the end of the screen before I could get back to the map again. It's incredibly annoying. Then I get back into the cave and have no idea where to go.
I have finished:

- The Legend Of Zelda
- The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
- The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
- The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Dragon Warrior
- Dragin Warrior II
- Dragon Warrior III

All of these games are similar but not nearly as annoying. After 2 weeks of trying I didn't even want to play it any more.

You see, you have personal and valid reasons to not like it, that is okay in my book.

P.S. I don't get the mention of DW I-III in your post, but kudos for beating these cool RPG!

I found those also stop you on the map to make you deal with an immediate situation but they have a point, you battle for gold and experience. With Zelda II, they stop you on the map but it's pointless, all you're really trying to do is get back to the map. It's a waste of time. That's why I mentioned those.
No, it's just like any other RPG in the fact that those encounters are experience building.

They aren't as efficient at building experience as traditional RPG encounters, though, given the larger static EXP rewards that exist in Zelda 2 that are there to find.

I think part of the "issue" with a newcomer perspective to Zelda 2, is that if you treat it like a traditional RPG, you probably don't expect to die nearly as much as you will and that might be frustrating.

But anybody picking up the game for the first time needs to know that they will die A LOT until they learn the game and where to go to get stronger, faster.
That is going to involve exploration and figuring out the safest places to get early powerups.

And that exploration is going to involve missteps into areas you can't survive that kill you quickly.  It's the nature of the game.

Unlike the original Legend of Zelda, you don't have a nice screen-by-screen reference for difficulty, where you can't turn back quickly and run to safety.
You could be on a path for awhile and suddenly find yourself massively outclassed by the local monsters.

Unlike the 3D Zelda games, you don't have the fairly linear hand-holding of regional progression, or more hit points than you know what to do with.

It's definitely the hardest Zelda game, by far.  But having the patience to learn the game is worth it.

This is spot on, arch_8ngel.

I feel a lot of the misunderstanding with this particular title is the RPG element. People are/were expecting a traditional top-down style like the original Zelda. What they got instead was something totally different. If you've never played an RPG, or have no clue in general, you're going to just naturally avoid enemies and not build up much EXP. Then, you'll hit dead ends sooner. This is where most will claim "the game sucks", "is too hard", etc. I know that's what I did from like, 1997-2012ish with that game.

Edited: 06/06/2016 at 11:16 AM by NostalgicMachine

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:18:48 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

I feel a lot of the misunderstanding with this particular title is the RPG element. People are/were expecting a traditional top-down style like the original Zelda. What they got instead was something totally different. If you've never played an RPG, or have no clue in general, you're going to just naturally avoid enemies and not build up much EXP. Then, you'll hit dead ends sooner. This is where most will claim "the game sucks", "is too hard", etc. I know that's what I did from like, 1997-2012ish with that game.
Even with traditional RPG experience, I think the game is a lot more unforgiving in terms of forcing you to accept some level of failure as you learn your way around.

Even a newcomer can grind through a Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy game without ever dying.
The odds of somebody no-deathing Zelda 2 without extensive experience are pretty much zero.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:46:13 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Even with traditional RPG experience, I think the game is a lot more unforgiving in terms of forcing you to accept some level of failure as you learn your way around.

Even a newcomer can grind through a Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy game without ever dying.
The odds of somebody no-deathing Zelda 2 without extensive experience are pretty much zero.

Agreed.

Zelda 2 was one of my favorite games as a child. The first time I beat it , I was probably between 10 and 12, and I was hanging out with some kids on my bus route who had previously beaten it before, so they hooked up with some hints on where to go what to look out for.

I never once remember playing it and thinking "man, this game sucks", but I did get frustrated at the difficulty back then (probably would curse it out now as well haha).

Excellent game IMO.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:55:47 AM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Zelda II is still one of my favorites and at the time no one knew it was that huge of a departure because Zelda 3 was not out yet. I really liked how creative companies were in this era.

That being said I must have been doing something wrong in this game because I remember beating the first palace. Then I braved death mountain and will never ever forget those damn alligators. Once I finished this part and got the hammer the game opened up for me. I really liked that you could replay the game with full power after you beat it so you could teach the game a lesson.

Good game and I still have my copy from November of 1988. I got this one early on a trip to Florida right before the big chip shortage. No one in school believed I had the game so I had to bring the manual to show proof lol.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:04:22 PM
viirevox (0)
(Retro Vox) < Cherub >
Tennessee
I very much agree with OP! So many good memories with Zelda 2. The soundtrack is great, and while difficult - it was a challenge that felt great to overcome and certainly worth the time I put into it as a kid. I enjoyed it much more than the original, which is saying a lot since I also spent a great deal of time on the original. Were certainly 2 golden gems in my cartridge collection as a kid.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:58:23 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I really like Zelda 2, I also really like Zelda. Never did understand the bad rep the second one gets, it's probably my favorite Zelda title.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:01:00 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Zelda 2 forces you to go through arguably the hardest part of the game early on when you're not even prepared for it.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:45:32 AM
Dangoo87 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
England
Annoyingly catchy sound track due to the brentalfloss music vid. Didn't really enjoy playing the game though, i'll stick to being a OOT and WW fanboy.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Recently Completed: Shovel Knight

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:42:17 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: mbd39

Zelda 2 forces you to go through arguably the hardest part of the game early on when you're not even prepared for it.
Arch: I suppose this is true, and my position is a rather biased one lol. I first played/found out this game even existed when I was like 8 or 9 in the late 90's. I saw the cart on the shelf at the Saugus FuncoLand, and the fading "platinum" shell immediately grabbed my attention. Too bad the game didn't   I'd never really played anything RPG related, so it was ALL news to me!

Mbd: That was my biggest gripe, and I think it's a lot of people's. Death Mountain is a real bitch...even when you're where you should be level wise.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:22:16 AM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
I honestly didn't think Death Mountain was that bad. It just forced me to spend about one play session leveling up my stats and then I was ready.

This wasn't like I was playing Castlevania III and it took 1-2 weeks just to complete one level after trial and error.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:59:04 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Losing all of your EXP in Zelda II is akin to losing all of your hearts in Simon's Quest. Both games are equally confusing and frustrating at certain points IMO.

Edited: 06/07/2016 at 07:59 AM by NostalgicMachine

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:36:06 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Losing all of your EXP in Zelda II is akin to losing all of your hearts in Simon's Quest. Both games are equally confusing and frustrating at certain points IMO.
While that can be frustrating to new players, you notice it pretty quickly and should learn the importance of risk management when you are close to leveling up.

In terms of Death Mountain... it is tough, but nowhere near as tough as the final leg of the game, IMO.  Part of the challenge, though, again comes down to expectations.

A new player will die, probably many times, while mapping the mountain range and cave system.

Once they figure out the likely best path, they can make the run with some lives in reserve and attempt to avoid combat whenever possible (and using magic evasively).

This whole discussion has me wondering if OSG ever managed his level one run of the entire game.  I recall his thread about it kind of dying off after the fifth palace.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:40:39 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

While that can be frustrating to new players, you notice it pretty quickly and should learn the importance of risk management when you are close to leveling up.

In terms of Death Mountain... it is tough, but nowhere near as tough as the final leg of the game, IMO.  Part of the challenge, though, again comes down to expectations.

A new player will die, probably many times, while mapping the mountain range and cave system.

Once they figure out the likely best path, they can make the run with some lives in reserve and attempt to avoid combat whenever possible (and using magic evasively).

This whole discussion has me wondering if OSG ever managed his level one run of the entire game.  I recall his thread about it kind of dying off after the fifth palace.

He made it to firebird last I remember (and saw). He almost beat him, too, but it takes something like 80 or 100 hits at that low of a level.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:31:30 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: dra600n

He made it to firebird last I remember (and saw). He almost beat him, too, but it takes something like 80 or 100 hits at that low of a level.
A Lvl 1 run sounds like an absolute nightmare  

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:45:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It definitely puts to shame those of us that brag about our minimalist runs in Zelda 1.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:51:06 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire

It definitely puts to shame those of us that brag about our minimalist runs in Zelda 1.

This is true...

...Though I still personally like the original LoZ better  

I might bust out AoL think summer and take it for another spin. I have a feeling it will be a bit more enjoyable now that I've been through it all, and know where to go/what to do.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:17:04 AM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: mbd39

Nintendo Hard™

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:39:06 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
I'm a huge Zelda fan and really didn't struggle much with this one, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I did read some tips and tricks to help me out which probably defeats that argument entirely. I recall the dark caves being a PITA and then you find/earn the candle? Then there was the trick to defect Dark Link super easy. Without any guidance I probably wouldn't have been able to complete it on my own.

I'm still playing through all the Zeldas but tend to enjoy them with some guidance (strategy guide/tips n tricks etc).

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:58:18 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
I only ever played Zelda II briefly, and found it too different from the Zelda I knew and loved (and difficult), so I never got very far.

I decided I'm gonna play through every Zelda game this year though. Right now I'm halfway through Zelda I and I'm gonna tackle Zelda II next. I'm actually kind of nervous because I'm playing on the original hardware and I have a feeling it's gonna give me a really hard time.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:06:18 PM
diddles_mcbean (22)
(Diddles McBean) < El Ripper >
Virginia
Originally posted by: ZBomber

I only ever played Zelda II briefly, and found it too different from the Zelda I knew and loved (and difficult), so I never got very far.

I decided I'm gonna play through every Zelda game this year though. Right now I'm halfway through Zelda I and I'm gonna tackle Zelda II next. I'm actually kind of nervous because I'm playing on the original hardware and I have a feeling it's gonna give me a really hard time.
I just played through it a couple weeks ago for the first time.  Like you, I wasn't fond of it as a kid because it was a little hard and too different from the original.  But I have to say, having played through it recently, that game gets an unfair reputation.  I would still consider it on the difficult side but as long as you focus on leveling and grinding a bit near the beginning it will make the game much less frustrating.  I had 39 deaths in my playthrough which I consider to be good especially considering that my save from my childhood had like 70 and I only made it to the second palace!

POLYKILL.COM - Video games, podcasts, videos, etc.

I have a podcast just like the next guy.  Find it here:
Polykill Podcast - iTunes

Complete list of retro game stores