Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New Forum Name POLL

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 11 at 10:04:48 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I don't like any of them   Lots of stores/websites/communities already exist with terms like 1up, Level Up, Retro, etc. I like when game sites have a stronger identity like Giant Bomb or Polygon. Just my 2c.

Hit it right on the head. I can't even look at those terms anymore without cringing a bit. Every youtube channel, every website, every store, "1up" this and "Pixel" that. Something totally original would be way better. Not that anything I'd think up would ever be in contention, but I know we can do better than what's up there. I'm not drawn to those names at all, quite the opposite.

-------------------------
My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Oct 11 at 10:05:28 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I get that the folks in charge of this project want to involve the community, but really, ya'll should just be making the decisions without us since this feels so overly convoluted and annoying. Folks want a new community, that's a given. We don't need to be a part of anything other decision making process on things like this, IMO.

The longer this discussion continues, the less excited I am for it.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 11 at 10:07:54 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: dra600n

I get that the folks in charge of this project want to involve the community, but really, ya'll should just be making the decisions without us since this feels so overly convoluted and annoying. Folks want a new community, that's a given. We don't need to be a part of anything other decision making process on things like this, IMO.

Yeah I am starting to think you are right.  We aren't making any progress here. 

Oct 11 at 10:08:53 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
If nothing else, this at least gives us some ideas and general direction to take. I personally also agree with that something unique and non-generic-sounding would be great.

Frankly none of us are professional... name... comer-up-withers... See? xD

Oct 11 at 10:11:45 AM
____________ (15)

< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State

TL;DR - end the poll and give us the purple ganon

Oct 11 at 10:25:11 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: B.A.

Yeah I am starting to think you are right.  We aren't making any progress here. 

If nobody goes “fuck this name is amazing” on the team, keep at it. None of the suggested names are good IMO. Choosing something just to get started isn’t the best decision. 

I have a few more thoughts on the whole thing, but I don’t think it’s a public discussion. If you want, I can PM you them. 

Oct 11 at 10:26:45 AM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
intendotapes

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Oct 11 at 10:27:00 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I hope that at least when this new forum goes live the people who have been here and moved over to the new one get some sort of ambassador status  

But yeah I also agree the names in the poll are generic AF. I don't like Purple Ganon either but it's hard to come up with something relevant yet unique.

Oct 11 at 10:27:04 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
DigitPress2.com

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 11 at 10:28:07 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I don't like any of them   Lots of stores/websites/communities already exist with terms like 1up, Level Up, Retro, etc. I like when game sites have a stronger identity like Giant Bomb or Polygon. Just my 2c.

This is the best idea I've seen.  Something just vaguely gaming related.  Actually finding a name like that that sounds decent sounds really tough though.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Oct 11 at 10:30:40 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
ButtonMash.com

And it's available.

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 10:32 AM by AstralSoul13

Oct 11 at 10:31:30 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

Google Purple Ganon and see the first thing that pops up. It's the urban dictionary definition. If we named the site Purpleganon we would either be right below or above that link to Urban Dictionary. It would turn a lot of people off from the site.

Someone suggested Violet Ganon in the other thread and I actually like that one a lot too.

All the titles in the poll are really dumb and generic sounding. Something like Purple/Violet Ganon at least has some personality and history behind it while also conveying that it's a video game site. The urban dictionary listing also wouldn't be the first thing that pops up once the site actually took off and there were actual topics that brought people to the site. Plus there isn't much to stop people from going on and adding a urban dictionary entry for any name you pick really.

I honestly think having any of the generic names in the poll would be much more detrimental to the forum's growth long term than one that currently has a dumb urbandictionary page.

Oct 11 at 10:33:01 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: ZBomber

Google Purple Ganon and see the first thing that pops up. It's the urban dictionary definition. If we named the site Purpleganon we would either be right below or above that link to Urban Dictionary. It would turn a lot of people off from the site.

Someone suggested Violet Ganon in the other thread and I actually like that one a lot too.

All the titles in the poll are really dumb and generic sounding. Something like Purple/Violet Ganon at least has some personality and history behind it while also conveying that it's a video game site. The urban dictionary listing also wouldn't be the first thing that pops up once the site actually took off and there were actual topics that brought people to the site. Plus there isn't much to stop people from going on and adding a urban dictionary entry for any name you pick really.

I honestly think having any of the generic names in the poll would be much more detrimental to the forum's growth long term than one that currently has a dumb urbandictionary page.

What is with the dick hard obsession over purpleganon and/or ties to NA?

Oct 11 at 10:34:49 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Quaze

Hit it right on the head. I can't even look at those terms anymore without cringing a bit. Every youtube channel, every website, every store, "1up" this and "Pixel" that. Something totally original would be way better. Not that anything I'd think up would ever be in contention, but I know we can do better than what's up there. I'm not drawn to those names at all, quite the opposite.

This is the issue with trying to make a site at this stage of the interwebs. Many names are taken... unless you look at those other not so widely used site endings .whatever.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Oct 11 at 10:45:25 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Purple Gannon is daf. New people looking it up are going to look at that urban dictionary definition or see that it's an old joke from NA that they keep relishing. It's great to have memories and nod to them. However, on the Internet it's old and pathetic to outsiders.

Oct 11 at 10:45:28 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

Originally posted by: ZBomber

What is with the dick hard obsession over purpleganon and/or ties to NA?

Once you engage in your first purple ganon with another collector it's difficult to not get obsessed.

Oct 11 at 11:07:01 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Gloves

If nothing else, this at least gives us some ideas and general direction to take. I personally also agree with that something unique and non-generic-sounding would be great.

Frankly none of us are professional... name... comer-up-withers... See? xD
And no matter what you pick, someone is going to have an issue with it.

Frankly, as long as it doesn't do something to trip up people accessing it at work (www.xxxpurpleganonmeanspenisallda...), it'll be fine. Good software, good image tools, a database for games, not too many subforums, and we're good.  

Oct 11 at 11:10:58 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Video Game Collector Community
VGCC.com
Keep it simple

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 11 at 11:11:14 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
And direct

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 11 at 11:12:27 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Video Game Collector Community
VGCC.com
Keep it simple
Already taken.

Oct 11 at 11:30:40 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
deadmarios.com (if I give it to gloves)
spreadgun.com
electronic boogaloo or elecboog
As I Lay Gaming
The Wings of the Gloves
Kefkas Palace
Clingerwinger
Volkmires
Bimmylee
Naked Krunch

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 11:31 AM by Brock Landers

Oct 11 at 11:41:10 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Curious what the rush is and/or if there is a deadline when a name needs finalized?

Three days seems a bit rushed to me, just talking out loud a bit - I agree the suggestions/options so far are a bit casual/wacky.

Wish I was better at thinking outside the box. Video Game Collector Community (VGCC) seems more prestigious, despite being taken, I suggest something more prominent like this.

Oct 11 at 11:48:14 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

That definition was submitted by a long time member here lol.

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 11 at 11:49:58 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
New UD definition submitted. If it gets through, up and downvote away

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 11 at 11:50:04 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Curious what the rush is and/or if there is a deadline when a name needs finalized?

Three days seems a bit rushed to me, just talking out loud a bit - I agree the suggestions/options so far are a bit casual/wacky.

Wish I was better at thinking outside the box. Video Game Collector Community (VGCC) seems more prestigious, despite being taken, I suggest something more prominent like this.

There's no deadline, nor any rush.

Not sure where people are getting the impression there is a rush? We just wanted to gauge interest in a short list of names we kinda dig. We have plenty time to go back to the well.