Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew World Championships 2012 - it's finally released and available for purchase today. Now available at Retrousb.com.. Manual available in first post for download.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:19:57 AM
HoS Master (0)
(Big HoS) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Bought yesterday!

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:15:22 PM
viaton (7)
(Pete ) < Little Mac >
Finland
Fantastic! Ordered!

-------------------------

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:04:33 AM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
Oh crap! How'd I just catch this!? Really hope there's enough to stick around for a week or so. Just dumped a bunch of cash into a big purchase.

Butts Make Farts.

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:53:12 AM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: HoS Master

Bought yesterday!

Lol. Even the HoS Master gets in on the fun!

VideoGameSage.com

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:04:29 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Got mine today! Half way across the US in 2 days!

BTW, love the black sleeve!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:22:12 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Just got mine!! dang that was fast

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:27:42 PM
plc268 (5)

< Little Mac >
Texas
Got mine as well. Problem is, is that my cart seems to lock up after the fourth round and won't go into frogger. It's locked up after other games as well, but I've yet to get to frogger.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:12:16 PM
spawn (118)
(Tony R) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Is this release limited?

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:13:24 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
Where can I find the dip switch settings? Sorry if this is a dump question.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:14:35 PM
facm (7)

< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
I think the DIP switches match the NWC 1990 settings, minus 6 seconds. so using L as the left side when you're holding the cart to read the label:

LLLL: 4:58 (Mine was received with this setting, high score is 678,800)
RLLL: 5:18
LRLL: 5:36
RRLL: 5:54
LLRL: 6:15 (This is the NWC 1990 finals time setting)
RLRL: 6:32
LRRL: 6:51
LLLR: 7:10
RLLR: 7:28
LRLR: 7:47
RRLR: 8:06
LLRR: 8:25
RLRR: 8:43
LRRR: 9:02
RRRR: 9:40

Collection:
Homebrew carts: 28 | Repro Carts:30 | Numbered LEs: 11

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:01:45 PM
plc268 (5)

< Little Mac >
Texas
Ah this is explains why I thought it was locking up. I didn't even notice the dip switches.

Most of my time gets wasted on NES virus cleaner, as I'm absolutely terrible at it.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:58:20 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
I suck at virus cleaner as well. I was thinking I was pretty bad since I only make Frogger once and it was long enough to get 2 frogs home. I feel pretty decent now know that I was playing with 4:58.

I did find if you pause on one of the games that allow paus, for a significant amount of time (my baby has me pausing games constantly) you have infinite time. I played Frogger on infinite lives for a good 6 levels before resetting the game.

Other than that, it is fun to play these on the regular NES since I can't buy some of them. Got to the Homebrew scene too late. Ultimate Frogger is now on my "to buy" list.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:20:24 AM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
Pennsylvania
Oh shit! There's a high score thread. Who knows, maybe even Big HoS and Paul will get in on the action!?
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

VideoGameSage.com

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:40:50 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I suck at virus cleaner as well. I was thinking I was pretty bad since I only make Frogger once and it was long enough to get 2 frogs home. I feel pretty decent now know that I was playing with 4:58.

I did find if you pause on one of the games that allow paus, for a significant amount of time (my baby has me pausing games constantly) you have infinite time. I played Frogger on infinite lives for a good 6 levels before resetting the game.

Other than that, it is fun to play these on the regular NES since I can't buy some of them. Got to the Homebrew scene too late. Ultimate Frogger is now on my "to buy" list.
Yeah Virus Cleaner sucks. I never seem to clear it. Even when I start the game on Virus Cleaner, it eats up the majorrity of my time. Here's some tips from an LE owner:

Official Competition time is 6:15 Dipswitches should be set to LLRL. Hit start on P1 controller to begin. P2 controller is not used unlike NWC.

The seagull pooping game is pretty basic and simple but to get the timing right you need to poop before you reach the target.

For Slappin' Bitches I highly recommend reccomend use of a turbo controller such as NES Max or Advantage. Set turbo to max and Hold A the entire time and spin the joypad/stick rapidly to fire in all 8 directions. You'll need to get 50 kills to advance but you can take infinite damage. Slappin' Bitches is the biggest time waste in the game, just like Rad Racer in NWC, you have to slog through.

Chunkout is straitforward elimiate chunks of two or more blocks. More blocks = more score. Pro tip: The more blocks you eliminate at once, the more points you get per block eliminated. Pick a color (different shapes are also treated as different colors) and eliminate everything else. At the end, you'll get a solid mass of one color which eliminated can easily net 600,000 or more. Since I never seem to finish the game, I typically get the bulk of my score from Chunkout using this strategy.

Virus Cleaner: objective is to collect the virus but I have no freakking idea what I'm doing. It's hard a heck to avoid the sparks and when you die you typically respan in some random location which may or may not be helpful. Clear 15 Virii to advance to Frogger. I can never seem to finish this one...

Frogger is self explanatory (don't touch cars or fall into the water) but the leftmost bay is the trickiest to land in. Get points by advancing to the Frog bays at the top. Also if you see a pink frog (female) collect it as she is worth tons of points. You can't affort to dalley around like in the main game because it is timed, however as you have infinite lives and you get points simply by advancing forward, it pays off to be fast and take risks.

Like NWC World Championships before it (Select+B on P2 controller to start on Rad Racer) there are skip-a-level codes: Press Dpad+Start to begin on any stage (each Dpad direction starts a different game). You can use this mode to play your favorite homebrew or as practice for the dreaded Virus Cleaner.

If you enjoyed any of the Homebrews, Frogger and Chunkout are available at RetroUSB. Slappin' Bitches and Virus Cleaner are available on the "Streemerz Action 53 part one" Homebrew Multicart by InfiniteNESLives. Lots of great stuff on that cart as well. It is loads better than Action 52, Catron/Miriad, or Maxi-15. Get the multicart here:
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/a...

Sadly it appears Action 53 is OOS, although a ROM download is available.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 03/30/2014 at 10:19 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:52:19 AM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
Pennsylvania
Huh, I really didn't think virus cleaner was that bad. I have the game on the Action53 multicart and I think it is an extremely solid homebrew. The level played on the HBWC isn't an easy one but with infinite lives it isn't too bad. The hit box in virus cleaner doesn't give much for wiggle room and the little man has a very consistent speed which can be hard to get used to. If you give the whole game a try, maybe the difficulty on the HBWC will be less of a initial shock.

You should try your hand at the high score stardust, just read the rules You'll be asked to leave your turbo controller at the door and get at least 1 pt in Frogger.

VideoGameSage.com

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:04:35 AM
facm (7)

< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
@Stardust: I think there are 3 small mistakes in your post.

A: Competition time settings are LLRL.

B: Slappin' Bitches needs 50 kills to advance. At least it did on the shortest time setting for me.

C: The Action 53 cart has been out of stock forever. INL hasn't taken down the checkout button for the cart but it's always out of stock.

Collection:
Homebrew carts: 28 | Repro Carts:30 | Numbered LEs: 11

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:16:32 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Huh, I really didn't think virus cleaner was that bad. I have the game on the Action53 multicart and I think it is an extremely solid homebrew. The level played on the HBWC isn't an easy one but with infinite lives it isn't too bad. The hit box in virus cleaner doesn't give much for wiggle room and the little man has a very consistent speed which can be hard to get used to. If you give the whole game a try, maybe the difficulty on the HBWC will be less of a initial shock.

You should try your hand at the high score stardust, just read the rules You'll be asked to leave your turbo controller at the door and get at least 1 pt in Frogger.
LOL, I got Action 53 so gotta try that game out again. They should have included one of the easier stages since the HBWC shouldn't be hard but about getting the best score. I may post a score later if I can finish the game

@facm: I corrected my post, thanks for pointing that out. You're right, it's sold out. I thought I was lucky the first time when I got one, but later just assumed it had been up the whole time since.

We're sorry, the following item(s) isn't available at this time:
Streemerz Bundle "Action 53 func16 vol1"
Item number: streemerz_run2
Options: Grey non-numbered: Grey…

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 03/30/2014 at 10:20 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:24:17 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
I have started to figure out Virus Cleaner. When you die, you respawn back to the last virus your collected. My strategy is take it slow and easy. Watch just the electric bolt you are trying to pass. If the next virus is close to the virus you just collected and you die trying to get it, make a mad dash as you are invincible for a short amount of time after a respawn.

I think that you have to get to 50 kills in Slappin' Bitches on the version I purchased. I'm not sure, I'm too concentrated on the game when it switches.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:49:11 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Virus Cleaner is one of the best homebrews that's been released so far. So good! The level in the competition cart is indeed hard. I remember the first time I played it I was furious that he'd included a level so hard. But after you play it over and over you start to get better at it, and I think it's the best part of the competition cartridge.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:55:14 AM
plc268 (5)

< Little Mac >
Texas
With virus cleaner, you can create a portal whereever you are by pressing A. So if you keep one of these on one side of the map, if a virus pops up near it, it'll be super easy to get to. Pressing B clears this portal so you can place it somewhere else.

Edited: 03/30/2014 at 10:55 AM by plc268

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:28:43 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
Originally posted by: plc268

With virus cleaner, you can create a portal whereever you are by pressing A. So if you keep one of these on one side of the map, if a virus pops up near it, it'll be super easy to get to. Pressing B clears this portal so you can place it somewhere else.
I haven't figured out how to use this yet. I lay the portal down, but I don't know how to jump back to it.
I always get stuck in the upper left corner. That is by far the toughest corner to get out of. I really wish I could still buy this on a real cart, it is pretty fun.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:28:18 PM
plc268 (5)

< Little Mac >
Texas
Pressing A again when the portal is up automatically teleports you to that portal.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:24:14 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Posting the manual for your downloading pleasure.

Sorry I forgot to do this until now.

Also attaching it to the first post.

Edited: 03/30/2014 at 03:25 PM by NewUser123456789