NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Wireless Controller?

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:15:56 PM
Selective_Memory (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Traveller

Hey

With the Turbo function, how do you reset it back to normal? I haven't tried using it yet, but is there a way to know when the function is off again?

I just hold the button and keep pressing the turbo - button until it's off. If it's off you won't see the LED blink anymore when you press and hold the button.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:07:45 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: 1337bcc1991

Originally posted by: 1337bcc1991

Are the LLE purchasers still entitled to one of these included in the LLE purchase price?

Any word...?

Yes.

Every time I've seen someone ask this question, he refers people to "the private thread."

As someone who didn't purchase the LLE, I don't know what this thread is called.

Now, for what I do know (very little), the LLE people are getting wireless controllers with clear shells. These shells still haven't come in.

From what I understand, they are SCHEDULED to arrive in August. But it's from China, so that is probably a guesstimate.

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:13:47 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

From what I understand, they are SCHEDULED to arrive in August. But it's from China, so expect March.

Fixed that for you.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:09:04 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
pro tip: give em a charge once you get them.

IF the controller doesn't blink right away, don't freak: leave it plugged in for a while- it'll eventually start to blink, indicating that it's charging.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:12:32 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Really hoping to see these in the mail soon. Wanna put em through their paces!

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:14:06 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I very much like this wireless AVS controller and how it works. Very much worth the cost. Good work!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:32:28 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Speak of the devil! Got my box of controllers, heading home to play!

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:16:34 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Can someone who has used the controller after a couple of weeks give their feedback on the AVS wireless and the comparison between the original NES and other clone controllers?

I'm just curious of the opinions of the controller after others have been able to get several hours and days of usage and comparisons to the original NES and other clone controllers.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:38:51 PM
toma (0)
(Tomas Guinan) < Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
Got mine in the mail today. Initial impressions are a little mixed to be honest. It's definitely responsive, but I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics. It feels kind of big, flat, and hollow. I think I would've preferred the classic rectangle without the grips to be honest. The grips just aren't working for me. They're flat and stick out to the sides instead of angled backwards like a modern controller, so instead of being comfortable, they just kind of feel in the way. They also make the top corners feel more prominent than on a normal NES controller somehow... I dunno... Something just feels off about it. Sorry. I wanted to like this so bad, but it just doesn't fit my hands at all. The other thing about it is that it's incredibly loud, and the buttons have very little travel when pressing them, but that's just likely years of experience with membrane controllers talking.

http://www.spoonybard.ca

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:17:47 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: toma

Got mine in the mail today. Initial impressions are a little mixed to be honest. It's definitely responsive, but I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics. It feels kind of big, flat, and hollow. I think I would've preferred the classic rectangle without the grips to be honest. The grips just aren't working for me. They're flat and stick out to the sides instead of angled backwards like a modern controller, so instead of being comfortable, they just kind of feel in the way. They also make the top corners feel more prominent than on a normal NES controller somehow... I dunno... Something just feels off about it. Sorry. I wanted to like this so bad, but it just doesn't fit my hands at all. The other thing about it is that it's incredibly loud, and the buttons have very little travel when pressing them, but that's just likely years of experience with membrane controllers talking.

One of my gripes is the noise. It's fine during the day with the music going but with my insomnia I'm often up later than my wife with the music turned down, and this controller is so loud when nothing else is making noise that I played worse just because I was subconsciously trying to press buttons less.

Also, for shmups (the genre I play most by far) it's honestly not great. I'll have to give it more time to be sure but thus far the d-pad is not smooth enough to make the minute movements that are required for high level shmup play. I'm sure with tetris where you click click click click the d-pad to move it's fine, but I need to go from holding it down directly to tapping and then back, and the d-pad seems to be primarily built for either tapping, or holding it in for long periods, not alternating between the two. An analog will likely still be my go-to for shmups, and sadly I've yet to find a really solid one for the NES.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:14:50 PM
toma (0)
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: Gloves

One of my gripes is the noise. It's fine during the day with the music going but with my insomnia I'm often up later than my wife with the music turned down, and this controller is so loud when nothing else is making noise that I played worse just because I was subconsciously trying to press buttons less.

Also, for shmups (the genre I play most by far) it's honestly not great. I'll have to give it more time to be sure but thus far the d-pad is not smooth enough to make the minute movements that are required for high level shmup play. I'm sure with tetris where you click click click click the d-pad to move it's fine, but I need to go from holding it down directly to tapping and then back, and the d-pad seems to be primarily built for either tapping, or holding it in for long periods, not alternating between the two. An analog will likely still be my go-to for shmups, and sadly I've yet to find a really solid one for the NES.

I just picked up the controller backwards, and I think if the bevel had been on the back instead of the front, it would have made a huge difference in improving the feel of this.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:48:25 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
Even the negative points made make me crave it even more. No update in regards to shipping since the 20th, on usps.com, when it left San Francisco 🤔

And the damn 5.5.2 update on the WiiU has put a damper on my Zelda journey 😱

Edited: 07/27/2017 at 12:36 PM by Tsurugi_Takuma

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:27:19 PM
toma (0)
Nova Scotia
I'm not really trying to rip the controller apart or anything. It just didn't live up to my expectations. Microswitched buttons sounded good in theory, but in practice they feel like every button press is clicking a mouse. Maybe I could get used to it, but I dunno...

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:08:30 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden

I'm not really trying to rip the controller apart or anything. It just didn't live up to my expectations. Microswitched buttons sounded good in theory, but in practice they feel like every button press is clicking a mouse. Maybe I could get used to it, but I dunno...
If you don't like it you can always use the electronics in it to build a wireless arcade stick, that's just an idea that popped into my head here 😁
Or there might be a way to somewhat muffle the clicky sounds + I guess you could do some reshape of the "grips" of the controller to suit you better?

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:34:57 AM
toma (0)
Nova Scotia
Oh I definitely plan on playing with it. Maybe I could transfer the internals into another controller since it uses a standard layout

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:59:14 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden
Mine finally arrived, they look beautiful and it feels like they will fit my hands. Would have liked them a bit heavier, but that is easily fixed. Better light weight, postage wise, when sending them over the pond!

Need to charge them some and then time to take them for a test spin with some Battle kid 2!

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 11:00 AM by Tsurugi_Takuma

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:24:08 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Holding down the A and B button for long periods of time, it starts to hurt. Not so much the joints in my hand as simply the skin on the thumb. It may be that I need to push more lightly, but I am getting indents in my thumb while playing shmups, and they hurt.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:25:30 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Holding down the A and B button for long periods of time, it starts to hurt. Not so much the joints in my hand as simply the skin on the thumb. It may be that I need to push more lightly, but I am getting indents in my thumb while playing shmups, and they hurt.

Bandaids.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:28:09 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Bandaids.

What a... Bandaid solution.

Lol maybe Retrousb should send out gloves to people effected by this, like Nintendo did for Mario Party.  

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:03:26 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: zi

pro tip: give em a charge once you get them.

IF the controller doesn't blink right away, don't freak: leave it plugged in for a while- it'll eventually start to blink, indicating that it's charging.
For mine, i just hit one of the a/b buttons and it started charging instantly.  I think it was in "sleep" mode.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:11:10 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Hate to say I completely agree.  I love Retrousb products, but am honestly disappointed in the controller, especially considering the high price.  Overall, functionally speaking it gets the job done and it doesn't seem to have lag.  However, the controller overall sort of feels like a prototype.  It's unexpectedly rather loud, the explanation of every button sounding like a mouse click is spot on.  I'm just not sure I'm going to get used to the microswitches either, particularly with the dpad.  I think they'd be great for Tetris, but trying to play Pac-Man I was severely disappointed.  Idk, with a lifetime of quiet controllers with smoother rubber/plastic dpads and buttons, just not sure I can adjust and be comfortable playing certain games with it.

Ending rant here, overall I will continue to use it to see if my feelings change, but the first impressions were rather rough (as in if I were at a store test driving, I would not have purchased).  Just honest feedback for folks, given the price of this thing.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:16:37 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Just ordered mine. I love the AVS and I am sure I'll love this controller. Keep up the great craftsmanship Retro USB.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:38:00 PM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden
Had a quick session of Battle Kid here while the missus is asleep upstairs, and can confirm that it is kind of loud. Seems like the plastic casing acts like a cone in a speaker, I would think a layer of silicon inside would reduce sound by quite a bit! Any thoughts? That and some lead weights and I'm good to go!

With that said, I'm really happy with the product so far.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:25:27 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Hate to say I completely agree.  I love Retrousb products, but am honestly disappointed in the controller, especially considering the high price.  Overall, functionally speaking it gets the job done and it doesn't seem to have lag.  However, the controller overall sort of feels like a prototype.  It's unexpectedly rather loud, the explanation of every button sounding like a mouse click is spot on.  I'm just not sure I'm going to get used to the microswitches either, particularly with the dpad.  I think they'd be great for Tetris, but trying to play Pac-Man I was severely disappointed.  Idk, with a lifetime of quiet controllers with smoother rubber/plastic dpads and buttons, just not sure I can adjust and be comfortable playing certain games with it.

Ending rant here, overall I will continue to use it to see if my feelings change, but the first impressions were rather rough (as in if I were at a store test driving, I would not have purchased).  Just honest feedback for folks, given the price of this thing.

Been super duper busy and starting a new job Monday. Haven't been checking nintendoage but I ought to have. I literally just found out about this controller and ordered one. I play a ton on custom microswitch joysticks so the clack, clack, clack is a part of my daily Atari ritual. Can I say that here? LOL!  

The price is a bit spendy but only marinally more so than an 8bitdo + FC30 (love the beveled edges on the FC30). Originally I was gonna buy two and dump one of the PCBs in an NES controller shell, but factoring in price I only bought one so gonna keep it stock unless the shell really bugs me. Gotta be honest, the thing ain't winning any beauty pageants...

If I decide to do a transplant, I'll either need to forgo the turbo buttons altogether or route out the holes which would be incredibly easy to f*** up, especially using a 1/8" dremel bit.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 07/30/2017 at 07:31 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:45:52 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Tsurugi_Takuma

If you don't like it you can always use the electronics in it to build a wireless arcade stick, that's just an idea that popped into my head here 😁
Or there might be a way to somewhat muffle the clicky sounds + I guess you could do some reshape of the "grips" of the controller to suit you better?

Awesome as it would be to add wireless to one of my custom joysticks, I just normally throw a couple Retrobit extensions on it and I'm good. What I would love is a RetroUSB reciever that accepts an NES plug so I don't have to remove the CD4021 and custom turbos...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/302...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 07/30/2017 at 07:48 AM by Kosmic StarDust