Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

baseball blows

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:05:18 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Just got home from watching my boys high school baseball team play. 3 1/2 hrs to play 4 innigs...I go because my boy plays but I cant stand baseball I think pool, darts and bowling are more exciting. Why dont they put in time limits in baseball or limit each batter to 1 pitch I think that would make it more interesting.

-------------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:57:53 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
your crazy man!!! but then again im not the greatest person to ask... I play college baseball out here in cali so im kinda in love with the sport.... useually people who dont like baseball are the basketball and football fans where the sport isnt fast enough for them but you said you like pool darts or bowling.... many find those sports slow and boreing to watch... my brother actually bowls for fresno state so im partial to that sport too..... and no it shouldnt take 3 1/2 hours to play four innings... shoot we useually play 9 innings in 2 - 3 hours....

Edited: 03/30/2007 at 10:58 PM by Hogie1418

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:33:49 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I never did like baseball myself. Not really into much for sports though, outside of hockey and rugby. Just not my thing I guess...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:06:56 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
It took 3 1/2 hours to play 4 innings, and it's a HIGH SCHOOL team?! I remember back when I was in the 3rd/4th grade league it used to take forever to finish innings, usually becuase the pitchers couldn't get the ball over the plate. What's the hold up if it's a high school team? They should all have enough experience to play faster than that.

I'm not much a fan of baseball either. "Great American sport" my ass. It amazes me that Baseball is so popular here in the USA, yet a great sport like Soccer is so unpopular.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:39:53 AM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
Originally posted by: burnambill333
It amazes me that Baseball is so popular here in the USA, yet a great sport like Soccer is so unpopular.

A American who likes soccer But yeah , soccer is way more fun then Baseball. Do you play it yourself ?

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:47:43 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
soccer????? that is the one sport I refuse to watch. sorry guys I just dont get it..... I find rugby to be very fun to watch.... one of my friends plays and I always go check out his games.... those guys are crazy, I dont know how they take some of the hits they take and get up like it never happened.... but to me baseball is one of the more difficult sports to play, but I can see how it could be boring for someone to watch if they do not enjoy it or truely understand the sport.... Thats probably why I do not like soccer, It just seems like nothing ever happens.... but thats why there is more than one sport out there, everyone has there own thing....

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:54:39 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Where I live (and Nistle can vouch for this as well), people could care less about baseball, soccer, and even football to a degree. Everything here is college basketball, college football, and recently, NHL hockey.

I personally love (in this order): NFL Football, NHL Hockey, college basketball, tennis, {add 10 more random sports here}, then soccer, then baseball.

-Dain

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:06:19 AM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

soccer????? that is the one sport I refuse to watch.
Thats probably why I do not like soccer, It just seems like nothing ever happens.... but thats why there is more than one sport out there, everyone has there own thing....

Nothing happens ? Soccer can be art !! Just watch these guys

These guys play indoor soccer and are even more skilled

Edited: 03/31/2007 at 01:33 PM by KennyB

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:19:31 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: KennyB
A American who likes soccer But yeah , soccer is way more fun then Baseball. Do you play it yourself ?

I've played league soccer since I was 5, stopped after high school, though I have been known to attend pick up games every once in a while. <3 soccer.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:35:39 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Well seeing as how I just got back in off the golf course after playing 18 I will let you guess what I like. Curiously enough though I played baseball and soccer into high school but I was a big time swimmer. Placed at Nationals every year in college, state in high school district champion, got to travel all over for year round team including Hawaii which was awesome, etc....

Seriously thoughfan wise, big time NFL Football, College basketball, Women's Tennis (I'll let you figure out why LOL), but I do love my Seattle Mariners even though they always suck a**.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:51:26 PM
BlueMadcap (6)
(Ben Mason) < Little Mac >
Australia
I can't take it any longer...... IT'S FOOTBALL, NOT soccer.... Even in Australia the governing body has changed it's name to Football Australia from soccer Australia recently and I await a name change for the national team from the Socceroos to something less crappy.
BTW, PLAY UP POMPEY.....

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:28:03 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
That's the reason it will always be called Soccer in the US -- we already have Football here, and it's a different beast (as you know). Americans simply wouldn't be willing to change the name of American Football to something different, even though the entire world plays "football" as a different sport (or Futbol, etc). I personally think it's a shame that soccer isn't popular here. I see how passionate other countries are with their Football and think it's pretty cool. I guess we're just as passionate about American Football, but unfortunately, the rest of the world could seem to care less. Granted, I know there's a European league, but the ones I've watched had about one tenth of the seats filled.

Personally, I couldn't live without American Football -- it's always been a part of my life. From the earliest time I could remember sitting on the couch next to my grandfather eating popcorn, I've been watching football. Go Broncos!!!!! And Panthers too! (I'm a born and raised Broncos fan though)

-Dain

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:39:35 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Football is a great sport non stop action and a time limit as in basketball, hockey ,soccer. Thats what makes baseball so long and boring. The game I was at there was 40 plus walks 4 pitching changes etc. I still say baseball would be more enjoyable if each batter got one pitch .you either hit it stuck out or walked. a foul would count as a out. My intepatation of a baseball game on TV

pitcher takes the mound close up of pitcher. close up of the batter, back to the pitcher, fan eating nachos in the stands, comontators, back to the pitcher. back to batter, fans entering the park. pitcher..finally throws strike.then 5 minutes of panning around the park. another pitch. repeat process. if the batter keeps fouling off the ball he can stand there for ever..I dont have anything against people who like baseball but I myself would be more excited watching a fishing tournment.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:17:18 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Hogie1418those guys are crazy, I dont know how they take some of the hits they take and get up like it never happened....

When I played, I took a hit to my knee. Hurt like a bitch but I got up, kept playing, and finished the game...another 35 minutes or so after. Went to the doctor and found out I tore the cartilage in my knee almost completely out. Amazing what adrenalin can do.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:37:28 AM
Gamefreak (1)
(Clint Shelton) < Crack Trooper >
California
The beauty of baseball is that there is no time limit. The team thats leading can't just milk the clock. There are no nil-nil ties in baseball. We play til someone wins.
It can be boring at times, but it can also be very dramatic. I swear I had two minor heart attacks durring game 5 of the 2004 ALCS

As for Soccer, it's not hard to see why it's so popular, and it has nothing to do with it being a good game.

1. Soccer is cheap to play. Roll up a bunch of rags into a ball and two villages can play against each other. (this is the main reason for it's world wide popularity)

2. Easy rules to understand. Kick ball, don't use hands. So the two villages don't even have to speak the same language and it wil not impede them from playing.

Go RedSox!!!

up up, down down, left right left right, B A, Start

Everything in the universe revolves around this code.

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:16:24 PM
michiganfan2 (123)
(Mike Pitsch) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I love baseball and watch it all the time in season. I was at game 3 and 4 of the ALCS and game 2 of the World Series last year. Seeing that walk off home run in game 4 to put my beloved Tigers into the World Series was the 2nd best moment of my life. #1 was the birth of my son and #3 was my wedding day. That's right, #1 Birth, #2 ALCS Home Run, #3 Wedding

Edited: 04/01/2007 at 12:16 PM by michiganfan2

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:39:09 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Not sure I would but a wedding in the top 10, haha. Maybe the top 10 worst days, lol. Stupid marriage.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread