Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do I really need to play every other Zelda game?

Jun 16 at 4:05:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder
That is why I am more interested in playing Adventures of Link, since it devianted from that formula.

You'd love Majora's Mask.

Jun 16 at 4:07:46 PM
KokiriChild (29)
(Mitch the Silent Kokiri) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Try Majora's Mask, it really changes up the gameplay with the three day mechanic. Or BotW as others have mentioned. If you liked the style of LA, I also insist you try A Link Between Worlds, its one of the Top 5 Zeldas, IMO.

-------------------------
Nintendo 64 Collection (NTSC): 145/296

Jun 16 at 5:28:26 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Originally posted by: Gloves

I feel like this is a troll thread.

I was framed I tells ye!  ...oh, wait. 

Jun 16 at 5:57:40 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

Jun 16 at 6:03:12 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: KokiriChild

Try Majora's Mask, it really changes up the gameplay with the three day mechanic. Or BotW as others have mentioned. If you liked the style of LA, I also insist you try A Link Between Worlds, its one of the Top 5 Zeldas, IMO.

He claims BotW is "the same Zelda formula". You're being trolled.

Jun 16 at 6:04:42 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Totally is a must to play the others.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Jun 16 at 6:41:46 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
Originally posted by: OptOut

I know people have wrong opinions on the internet, but this takes the cake!

I can't even. Literally, I can't even.

I loved this game... and thus I never ever want to play another game like it. WTF? Like, Mega Man 1-6 are all the same damn game, and I love playing all of them... and the multitude of hacks of them, and the clones of them....

Jun 16 at 7:03:44 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

Jun 16 at 7:48:44 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Gloves

He claims BotW is "the same Zelda formula". You're being trolled.

and “with platformers, pretty much everything is different. The level designs and the mechanics can have a drastic affect on game play. But zelda and many rpgs are just very silimar.”

Jun 16 at 9:08:34 PM
GreenKoopa (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Victoria
2d to 3d zelda is a major change.

Oot and majoras mask are both amazing entries. They have 3d remaster on 3ds. Must play next.

Wii and wii u versions I enjoyed, but are similar(ish) to the n64 games.

BoTW is a major step up again. Must play.

Jun 16 at 9:38:28 PM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
The frustrating thing about this thread is that there are few multiple decade long running franchises that do MORE to change up the formula of each game than they do with Zelda. Every Zelda game has some significant change or new mechanic to differentiate it from the others...

Whatever OP has been smoking, keep clear guys! Seems like someone cooked up a VERY bad batch!

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 16 at 10:24:32 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Not the best troll thread but I'll still bite.

Why would you play any other entries of any game series after the first if it's all just a "rehash?" For that matter, tons of platformers are derivative of Super Mario Bros. That doesn't mean that absolutely none of them are any fun.

Do you need to play every one? No. But you should at least play some of the better ones.

Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, and Between Worlds are some of my favorites. Minish is great original standout in the series.

Also Link's Awakening borrows heavily from Link to the Past in style and "formula." Shouldn't you at least play the OG instead of the rehash? I would say LttP defined the Zelda formula.

Edited: 06/16/2019 at 10:25 PM by JamesRobot

Jun 16 at 10:31:23 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Part II of the "Game Boy is the greatest system of all time" troll?

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jun 16 at 11:13:17 PM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
I hate minish cap

Jun 17 at 12:30:44 AM
ZeldaFan042 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
North Dakota
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

You had me until this. I enjoyed the DS games and I don't understand why they get as much hate as they do.  

WTB  <--- Please sell me a GameCube prototype controller!!!
Originally posted by: Stryphos
Originally posted by: Foochie776

What's an Apple Pippin?
Remember in the Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn threw that piece of fruit and hit him in the head after asking for second breakfast?  Yeah, that's an apple.

Jun 17 at 2:51:02 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
OP, you seem like a fun person

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jun 17 at 4:09:06 AM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: ZeldaFan042

Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

You had me until this. I enjoyed the DS games and I don't understand why they get as much hate as they do.  

I only played Phantom Hourglass, but let me try to explain

*Wonky controls that feel imprecise. *worst soundtrack in the series by far. The music you'll hear the most are ten second loops with no attempt to sound interesting *that dungeon you keep having to enter repeatedly. Not to mention the stealth stuff within it.

I did finish the game, and I enjoyed it well enough, but it is by far the worst game in the series. A bad zelda game is still a pretty decent game though.

OP. If you're gonna play anything else in the series, make it Breath of the Wild or Link to the Past. Avoid Skyward Sword at all costs.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Jun 17 at 5:52:33 AM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
ALTTP is by far my favorite Zelda title ,and the original Zelda on the NES is my second favorite..

Jun 17 at 6:50:29 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
It's a shame Phantom Hourglass seems to have put so many people off of playing Spirit Tracks, it would seem that a lot of people didn't like Phantom Hourglass, so they never even bothered with the second game. That's a shame because IMO Spirit Tracks is head and shoulders better than PH, it basically makes the prior game feel like a tech demo by comparison.

Some very small changes, like equipping items to a shoulder button, populating towns and other destinations with more to do, more visual variety, plus better weapons and dungeons (and no repeating bullshit), and I think a better story and more side quests...

If you have only played the first one, and liked or thought it was OK, give Spirit Tracks a shot. If you absolutely HATED Phantom Hourglass, then probably this also won't work for you, but it might!

Plus the trains are FUN! There, I said it... I love the TRAINS! Leave me alone, I like them, lol!  

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 17 at 7:09:38 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I hate all video games equally

Jun 17 at 8:16:16 AM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Oh yes same formula! God lets go play some super smash, Mario kart, Mario party. Hell, any Mario. Troll to the max lets go. 

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 17 at 8:18:27 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
nope.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 17 at 11:32:16 AM
KREATIVEassassin (0)
< Cherub >
Illinois
I should probably stay out of this but I agree with OP to an extent. A lot of Zelda games reuse the same items, locations, and music and if you're not a fan of the series I can completely understand why someone would think it's a rehash. I've been very down on Zelda games for years now, so I get where he's coming from. I think it's weird that everyone is jumping him for feeling like the Zelda formula seems repetitive when it is.

That being said, A Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time. Play that one if you liked Link's Awakening. Then again, I don't really like Link's Awakening, so maybe that's not a good suggestion for someone who does.

Jun 17 at 11:55:13 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: KREATIVEassassin

I should probably stay out of this but I agree with OP to an extent. A lot of Zelda games reuse the same items, locations, and music and if you're not a fan of the series I can completely understand why someone would think it's a rehash. I've been very down on Zelda games for years now, so I get where he's coming from. I think it's weird that everyone is jumping him for feeling like the Zelda formula seems repetitive when it is.

That being said, A Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time. Play that one if you liked Link's Awakening. Then again, I don't really like Link's Awakening, so maybe that's not a good suggestion for someone who does.

OP claims to have only played the one Zelda game, AND that they LOVED it. 

Jun 17 at 12:09:59 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
It's only one of the best gaming franchises in history. You have a limited amount of time in your life to enjoy games, choose wisely lol.