Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What series played better on the NES than SNES

May 14, 2013 at 7:27:21 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: ruudos

Originally posted by: Rooster

In what sense does castlevania play better on NES than on SNES? Isn't super castlevania 4 like...Superior in every way?

Maybe in graphics and sound (well not maybe,)  but I prefer Castlevania III a lot more. More challenge, more replay value (because of the branching paths and different characters).

I actually think Super Castlevania iV is a bit overrated (it's still very good but I see people calling it the greatest game of all time). Maybe it is because I've never played it in the past or that my expectations of it were too high because of all of the praise it got. 

Yeah, the kiddies like SC IV because it's so easy.  No challenge when you can whip in every direction.  And why is every boss fight just a button-mashing slugfest?  At least in the original NES CV's you had to learn patterns (though I'll admit that just about any boss will go down quick with triple-shot holy water).

The problem with CV IV is that it goes for atmosphere, so instead of a pulse-pounding soundtrack that makes you want to kick Dracula's ass, you get these moody and forgettable non-tune background tracks (except for level one, which has awesome music), and instead of bright, colourful, and interesting graphics, everything is plastered in subdued pastel colours and shades of brown and gray.

Mostly, though, I want to know why I was able to beat CV IV on my first time through with no trouble at all... oh yeah, because it's too damn easy; that's not the Castlevania way.  The original NES Castlevanias are for hardcore gamers who care more about gameplay than anything else; Super Castlevania IV is for modern gamers who need to "feel like they are there" while cakewalking through one non-descript level after the next.  But for me, the only "feeling" I got from SC IV was that they had just discovered a new graphics chip and wanted to make a tech demo to see what mode 7 and all those other fancy effects could really do.

And that's all I have to say about that!

-------------------------

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

May 14, 2013 at 7:41:33 PM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan
I don't understand why everyone thinks the original castlevanias are so difficult to beat? They really aren't that tough. Ninja Gaiden was difficult, but castlevania really isn't...at all. It's a game, not a dick measuring tool. If you enjoyed it, then it did it's job. Personally, when I played through castlevania 1 and 3, I got a headache and was glad when I finished it. I don't particularly enjoy super castlevania 4 and better, but I don't agree that it was any more or less difficult. Also, dr.morbis you may have a point, you may not. But regardless, you really come off sounding like an incredibly butt hurt NES fanboy.

May 14, 2013 at 8:11:31 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I disagree with many of his points. Forgettable music? Did he play some sort of bootleg that replaced the music? Because the tracks I heard had me connecting my SNES to my stereo and listening to the sound test for hours as a teenager. The music was mind-blowing.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

May 14, 2013 at 8:12:06 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta

I don't understand why everyone thinks the original castlevanias are so difficult to beat? They really aren't that tough. Ninja Gaiden was difficult, but castlevania really isn't...at all. It's a game, not a dick measuring tool. If you enjoyed it, then it did it's job. Personally, when I played through castlevania 1 and 3, I got a headache and was glad when I finished it. I don't particularly enjoy super castlevania 4 and better, but I don't agree that it was any more or less difficult. Also, dr.morbis you may have a point, you may not. But regardless, you really come off sounding like an incredibly butt hurt NES fanboy.

Incredibly! Actually, I don't find the NES Cv's terribly tough at all; I've no-deathed the first two before. The difference is, you have to learn how to get good at them, you don't just pop them in and beat them like you do with the SNES one. The NES Cv's are like Contra: incredibly easy if you know what you're doing, but if you've never played the game before it's going to kick your ass. That's the difference to me; I may be able to cakewalk through Castlevania 1 right now on a lark, but I sure as hell couldn't when I opened up the game in 1988.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Edited: 05/14/2013 at 08:12 PM by Dr. Morbis

May 14, 2013 at 8:55:18 PM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
Rockman 7 didn't feel right to me, I had the Japanese version at the time...

Capcom should of made it on the NES

Battletoads/Double Dragon Better on the NES, I got the Genesis version also

[quote]I preferred SMW and never liked SMB3[/quote]

I hope your kidding, SMB3 is better

May 14, 2013 at 9:09:42 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Zing

I disagree with many of his points. Forgettable music? Did he play some sort of bootleg that replaced the music? Because the tracks I heard had me connecting my SNES to my stereo and listening to the sound test for hours as a teenager. The music was mind-blowing.

Likewise. I feel it has one of the most well-done soundtracks on the SNES. Even more amazingly so, it was one of the earliest titles to be released on the system. Simply incredible.

| gameplay and talk |

May 14, 2013 at 9:24:00 PM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan
Originally posted by: MarioMania

Rockman 7 didn't feel right to me, I had the Japanese version at the time...

Capcom should of made it on the NES

Battletoads/Double Dragon Better on the NES, I got the Genesis version also

[quote]I preferred SMW and never liked SMB3[/quote]

I hope your kidding, SMB3 is better

I don't really know how you can compare SMW to SMB3.  They're both great games.  I can't really agree that "one is better." 

May 14, 2013 at 9:49:46 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

I don't really know how you can compare SMW to SMB3.  They're both great games.  I can't really agree that "one is better." 

I think it's pretty easy to compare them. I mean, afterall, Super Mario World is essentially the evolution of what Super Mario 3 brought to the table. It's not like the jump from SMW to Mario 64, it still duplicated what was introduced prior, but with tweaking just about everything there was (some will say "improved upon", others won't).

As an aside, I personally prefer World over Part 3. I like that it's faster, is less floaty and slippery, and the worlds are longer and more involved. I'm not trying to discount SMB3 in any way, that game was incredible when it came out and is still fantastic today--I just find SMW to be bigger and better (for my tastes) in just about every way, so it's the one I revisit more frequently of the two.

| gameplay and talk |

May 14, 2013 at 9:51:35 PM
RetroMichel (41)
(Michel B.) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Punch-Out !!... The SNES one was really bad.

May 14, 2013 at 9:53:57 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Ninja Gaiden by alot. They ruined the music with the snes game if you ask me. The first game sounds like it was fucking butchered.

May 14, 2013 at 10:46:13 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: RetroMichel

I'll punch you out! I love the SNES one!

This is a hard question in my opinion. All sequels released on SNES feel liked upgraded versions of the NES ones. Megaman, Contra, Mario, Castlevania..... I guess I'll say Ninja Gaiden since the audio did suck.

Check out some awesome VG Metal music at my band's page (free music download!)
https://redfalconband.bandcamp.co...

May 15, 2013 at 7:15:11 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: ruudos

In what sense does castlevania play better on NES than on SNES? Isn't super castlevania 4 like...Superior in every way?

Maybe in graphics and sound (well not maybe,)  but I prefer Castlevania III a lot more. More challenge, more replay value (because of the branching paths and different characters).

I actually think Super Castlevania iV is a bit overrated (it's still very good but I see people calling it the greatest game of all time). Maybe it is because I've never played it in the past or that my expectations of it were too high because of all of the praise it got. 

Well I don't know about SCV4 being the greatest game of all time,but it's certainly better any of the Nes titles although part 3 is a masterpiece in it's own right especially the Famicom version with the full audio and extra special effects..But it's still not as good as 4 in my opinion.

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Edited: 05/15/2013 at 07:18 AM by DreamStar

May 15, 2013 at 7:24:52 AM
RetroMichel (41)
(Michel B.) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Originally posted by: DOPLIC

Originally posted by: RetroMichel

I'll punch you out!
This made me laugh !

May 15, 2013 at 3:24:12 PM
mcat999 (35)
< Kraid Killer >
Florida
The controls and physics in the Super Mario Bros series for NES is way tighter than Mario All Stars. The Mario All Stars remakes bore me while the NES ones are always a blast to play.

Punchout for Super Nintendo was not even close to the original.

I think Megaman 7 is a joke of a game but I love X.

http://http://www.twitch.tv/jumanjicastle/ - Playing classic games in high quality RGB Scart and Component

May 15, 2013 at 5:24:57 PM
blastocystosis (39)
(J W) < El Ripper >
Alabama
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Batman Returns is way more fun on the NES.

How can you be a bisexual and be in a wheel chair?? - ThatNintendoGuy
I was in the bathroom at the gay bar - rhetoric614