Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Master System Weekly Contest Round 8: Vigilante Ends 01/21/18 11:00 PM NA Time

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:05:33 AM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Hello and welcome to the eighth round of the first Sega Master System Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Vigilante.  It's like Kung Fu, except your girlfriend's name is Maria instead of Syliva.  This spiritual sequel doesn't loop, so get as many points as you can before the end!

Rules:

-Play until Game Over
-Highest score wins

For general contest rules, click here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1st: bimmy_lee (94,700)
2nd: mbd39 (70,200)
3rd: Yoshi (43,400)
4th: Richardhead (26,400)
5th:
6th:
7th:
8th:

Edited: 01/21/2018 at 05:41 PM by Red

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:33:21 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 01/21/2018 at 05:16 PM by mbd39

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:34:22 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Okay... I'm kinda starting to get the hang of this one. It's still an extremely mindless beat em up full of cheap hits from being grabbed and double teamed.

Edited: 01/14/2018 at 06:54 PM by mbd39

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:02:10 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Not to derail the thread too much, but anyone interested in the progress of my Master System collection, I just added these three games to my collection last week.  I definitely recommend everyone try these games out as they are a lot of fun.  Golden Axe Warrior is a big time Legend of Zelda clone, but it's done really well and pretty fun to play.  The copy I got is the US version with the UPC sticker on the back of the case.  Anyone who is a fan of the Aleste series should play Power Strike.  It's definitely one of the better shooters on the system (at least for the NTSC collection).  Sagaia, a European PAL exclusive, plays quite a bit like its counterpart on the Genesis, but I found it to be a little easier.  I got about halfway through the game before I noticed a spike in difficulty.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:10:00 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Not to derail the thread too much, but anyone interested in the progress of my Master System collection, I just added these three games to my collection last week.  I definitely recommend everyone try these games out as they are a lot of fun.  Golden Axe Warrior is a big time Legend of Zelda clone, but it's done really well and pretty fun to play.  The copy I got is the US version with the UPC sticker on the back of the case.  Anyone who is a fan of the Aleste series should play Power Strike.  It's definitely one of the better shooters on the system (at least for the NTSC collection).  Sagaia, a European PAL exclusive, plays quite a bit like its counterpart on the Genesis, but I found it to be a little easier.  I got about halfway through the game before I noticed a spike in difficulty.

Interesting.

I've never owned a Master System and as a kid I only ever met one family who had one (I remember we played Astro Warrior and a game similar to Spy Hunter that was probably Action Fighter). I've played some games on emulators before, never got much into it, but this contest has been my first real intro to the system. I know that it was much more popular outside the US.

Have you tried Vigilante? It's like a very poor man's Kung Fu crossed with a very poor man's Double Dragon. I didn't know anything about it when I picked it. I just wanted to play a beat em up.

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:30:51 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Interesting.

I've never owned a Master System and as a kid I only ever met one family who had one (I remember we played Astro Warrior and a game similar to Spy Hunter that was probably Action Fighter). I've played some games on emulators before, never got much into it, but this contest has been my first real intro to the system. I know that it was much more popular outside the US.

Have you tried Vigilante? It's like a very poor man's Kung Fu crossed with a very poor man's Double Dragon. I didn't know anything about it when I picked it. I just wanted to play a beat em up.

I didn't own a Master System as a kid either, but I grew up with two neighborhood friends who had one.  I distinctly remember playing Double Dragon and Pro Wrestling, but don't recall other games I played.  They used to swap games back and forth all the time.  Since then, I had an interest in the Master System, but didn't acquire one until almost two years ago.  I love collecting for it and the games are a lot of fun to play.  If you're interested in collecting for it, most of the games are pretty easy to get CIB for a reasonable price.  There are a few heavy hitters, though, like Golden Axe Warrior, Power Strike, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing, Ghouls n' Ghosts, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, amongst others.  The system was popular over in Europe, but way more popular in Brazil.  To me, the North American library of games is pretty average with a lot of generic games, with the exception of games like Double Dragon, R-Type, Rampage, Altered Beast, the Alex Kidd games, Golden Axe, the Wonder Boy games, and Phantasy Star, amongst others.  The European PAL exclusives are pretty solid, and include a lot of 8-bit counterparts to Sega Genesis games, like Alien Storm, Mercs, Sagaia, Forgotten Worlds, Gain Ground, and Streets of Rage 1 & 2, amongst others.  A lot of Master System games got ported over to the Game Gear, so people who didn't dabble much in the Master System but had a Game Gear were able to play those games.

I did play a little bit of Vigilante last night and it is very much like a cross between Kung Fu and Double Dragon.  It definitely gets pretty challenging as you progress through the game.  If you enjoy Vigilante, you might like Black Belt on the Master System.  That one is very similar to Vigilante.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:35:04 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:35:58 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mbd39

Okay... I'm kinda starting to get the hang of this one. It's still an extremely mindless beat em up full of cheap hits from being grabbed and double teamed.

Oh, I hate the grabbing and the instant health loss. Its a bunch of shit.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:11:38 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
This game is a turd burglar!
Gonna come in last this week!

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:20:17 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Pretty fun game.  I find the regular enemies a breeze to kill with the nunchuks, but I find it easier to fight the bosses bare-handed.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:11:12 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Not sure why the damn photo is sideways but here’s all I could muster up !

Edited: 01/21/2018 at 11:14 AM by Richardhead

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:58:34 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
There's a hilarious glitch where you can be far away from the second boss and your punches will still hurt him. You can see it in this video here. What a well programmed game, lol.