Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

You and your friends are dead. Game over. Friday the 13th NES.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:29:53 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
Originally posted by: SamSpade

One of my favorite games. The real key is to get the fastest three characters loaded up with torches lighting up the fireplaces on the first two days all the while gathering as much medicine jars from the woods and caves as you can early. The other characters are good defense to help out and you'll end up getting machetes for them as well if you kill enough zombies. After the second day, Jason is way too fucking fast to take out consistanly in the cabins so the idea is, you want to draw him out and fight him 2D style, he'll leave after enough damage and just follow the trail after him, usually, you can get a few chances to wipe his ass out that way and beat the game. Honestly, if he attacks the cabin of kids near the lake, that's a death trap to go in there and rescue them, sacrifice a few of the children and wait for him to attack one of the camp counselors again. Simply warp to the house he's attacking and head outside.

I can beat this game pretty consistanly with all the camp teens alive but it's damn near if not impossible to save all the children. Anyways, I love this game and the best advice I can give is to avoid fighting Jason's mother for the sweater or pitchfork, I never found it needed or worth it to get those items and fight her on the second or third day. Fuck, I love me some Friday the 13th.

I actually like to get the sweater at the end of day 2. Yeah, you take some damage, but on day 3 you're healthy again and you take less damage with it on. The pitchfork, though isn't worth it for me unless I can get a whole lot better at dodging that bodyless bitch's attacks.
What's with the cabins in the woods? Everytime I find one, it's empty anyways? What the hell are they for?

-------------------------
Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:26:04 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: 0xero0

Originally posted by: SamSpade

One of my favorite games. The real key is to get the fastest three characters loaded up with torches lighting up the fireplaces on the first two days all the while gathering as much medicine jars from the woods and caves as you can early. The other characters are good defense to help out and you'll end up getting machetes for them as well if you kill enough zombies. After the second day, Jason is way too fucking fast to take out consistanly in the cabins so the idea is, you want to draw him out and fight him 2D style, he'll leave after enough damage and just follow the trail after him, usually, you can get a few chances to wipe his ass out that way and beat the game. Honestly, if he attacks the cabin of kids near the lake, that's a death trap to go in there and rescue them, sacrifice a few of the children and wait for him to attack one of the camp counselors again. Simply warp to the house he's attacking and head outside.

I can beat this game pretty consistanly with all the camp teens alive but it's damn near if not impossible to save all the children. Anyways, I love this game and the best advice I can give is to avoid fighting Jason's mother for the sweater or pitchfork, I never found it needed or worth it to get those items and fight her on the second or third day. Fuck, I love me some Friday the 13th.

I actually like to get the sweater at the end of day 2. Yeah, you take some damage, but on day 3 you're healthy again and you take less damage with it on. The pitchfork, though isn't worth it for me unless I can get a whole lot better at dodging that bodyless bitch's attacks.
What's with the cabins in the woods? Everytime I find one, it's empty anyways? What the hell are they for?
You can get a machete or an axe in them if you have a key for it. I always til this day get so turned around that I never bother with it. Not worth it especially when it's easy to get the machete fighting Jason's mom on day one. The axe is a little bit stronger but honestly, three torches and that's all you really need to fuck over the boogeyman with the hockey mask for good.

The sweater is a toss up, day three, I focus really hard on ending Jason in maybe two encounters so I never take enough damage to warrant the extra boost. The real key is locking that shit down on the trails on day three and stay away from the cabins unless you're running through kids faster than Michael Jackson.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:07:36 AM
NES_Punk (0)
(NEST In the World) < Little Mac >
Ohio
Fun but hard game. Love having it in my collection since I'm a huge horror fan. One of those cheap easy to find games that's probably an early addition to most collections. I prefer ANOES and JAWS myself though.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:56:28 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
This thread makes me want to play this game lol.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:20:45 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

Does anyone have a CIB copy of this game that they'd be willing to sell/trade for? I REALLY want it for my collection!

Yeah, actually PMA has one for sale here. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:16:53 AM
Warped (12)
(Ken O) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
 I can help for anyone who ever decides to beat this. I decided to polish off this game once and for all back in October. I owned it as a kid, and loved it then and ignore the haters today.

I am going to tell you the key on doing it. Or better yet, watch:

Get the torch right off the bat by first having Mark or Chrissy in that start cabin by the lake. Keep resetting your game until you get them either one there. Watch the above video and follow it step by step after that. Once you have the first torch, go around and light the fireplaces so you can get the 2nd torch in the cabin as a backup.

With 2 torches, Jason is toast.

For day 3, fight him OUTSIDE the cabins and spam that A button. You'll do it - after 25 years I finally did.

Goodluck.

Edited: 03/11/2013 at 12:17 AM by Warped

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:45:41 AM
Player_01 (1)

(Ryan Johnson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
This guy Brisulph does an excellent YouTube play through of this game.

. Really made me appreciate a game I thought was garbage on reputation alone without having tried it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:11:55 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: otterpop

You may all think you've killed Jason but cmon everybody knows......nothing this evil ever dies!!!!

Evil will allways win because good is dumb!

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:51:20 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Warped

I can help for anyone who ever decides to beat this. I decided to polish off this game once and for all back in October. I owned it as a kid, and loved it then and ignore the haters today.

I am going to tell you the key on doing it. Or better yet, watch:

Get the torch right off the bat by first having Mark or Chrissy in that start cabin by the lake. Keep resetting your game until you get them either one there. Watch the above video and follow it step by step after that. Once you have the first torch, go around and light the fireplaces so you can get the 2nd torch in the cabin as a backup.

With 2 torches, Jason is toast.

For day 3, fight him OUTSIDE the cabins and spam that A button. You'll do it - after 25 years I finally did.

Goodluck.
This is effin' awesome man, thank you!!!

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:31:14 AM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Looks very similar to the speed runs my brother and I worked out, though we did ours on a live console and didn't have the benefit of TASing it like these other "record" times.

Edited: 03/11/2013 at 10:31 AM by Firebrandx

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:28:39 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
AVGN is just a fun show. But he gave some games a bad rap, Friday the 13th fits into the category. While by no means is it perfect, it is a fun game. I've beaten the game many times (though I wish I had some of the tips you guys have posted back when I was a wee lad!) I've always enjoyed it because there was a little bit of strategy involved. Some of the counselors were better than others. Hidden weapons, items, things like that.

Actually, its one of LJN's best offerings on the NES.

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:28:16 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
The game is a blast once you figure out the patterns and all the quirky stuff that needs to be done to "trigger" them. That last video with the three minute play through is the perfect example of this!

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:02:53 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Man I played the hell out of this game as a kid and loved it.

I was saddedned by it's disgrace when it appeared on an episode of AVGN .

If you stay out of the woods, the game can be a ton of fun.

What's in those woods anyways aside from a shat-ton of wolves and a bunch of vitamins?

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:25:58 PM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
I'm glad I have this game CIB because it is beautiful on the shelf! Love the artwork!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26:59 AM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

What's in those woods anyways aside from a shat-ton of wolves and a bunch of vitamins?

A couple of cabins that may or may not have weapons in them. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:07:30 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: 0xero0

Originally posted by: Commander Santa

A couple of cabins that may or may not have weapons in them. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

It's honestly never worth it unless you know the patterns. You'll just end up going in circles, jumping over wolves and going up/down random paths.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:10:58 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I played the game when I was little at a friends house and had no idea what the heck was going on. Never really went back to it again.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:14:49 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Still on the hunt for a CIB copy; I messaged the suggested user on the previous page, but if anyone else has copies they are looking to sell, definitely get in touch!

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02:09 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
BUMP.

So, since I've been playing this game again recently, I've come across a new frustration; dodging Jason's attacks on the second day. His double-strike attacks are so fast, it's nearly impossible to get off a second dodge before he starts nailing you. Is the key to go left to right/right to left, and not stick to one direction? I must be doing something wrong.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:38:31 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
I only dodge left myself. Dodge the first attack earlier so that you're back in position to dodge again before his second attack.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:26:11 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
^That's what I'm trying to do, idk if it's just the particular character I'm using. I'm sure Mark and Chrissy are naturally the fastest for everything, including dodging. I had an awesome strategy of literally "passing the torch" and switching counselors before each cabin battle, and kicked Jason's ass on the first day in about 20 minutes. Now I just need to get the dodge timing down!

Thanks for your help, dudes!

Edited: 03/31/2013 at 08:26 AM by NostalgicMachine

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:09:02 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

^That's what I'm trying to do, idk if it's just the particular character I'm using. I'm sure Mark and Chrissy are naturally the fastest for everything, including dodging. I had an awesome strategy of literally "passing the torch" and switching counselors before each cabin battle, and kicked Jason's ass on the first day in about 20 minutes. Now I just need to get the dodge timing down!

Thanks for your help, dudes!
Best thing to do is to avoid him in the cabins which is easy to do unless he goes for the kids near the lake. If a counselor gets an alert, switch to that character and head outside, you'll end up fighting Jason outside where it's easier to inflict alot of damage on him if you have the right weapons. On the third day, I often just let Jason wipe out a few of the kids if I have any to spare, it's one thing to dodge him in the cabins on day 2 but on day 3, it's damned near impossible so that strategy is especially effective and you should have a few torches to kick his ass then. On day two, it's hard to dodge but still very possible to survive a fight and you should have some extra medicines from screwing around in the woods or caves so that gives you a few extra hits.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:21:44 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Its been a couple years, so I'm playing this one again.
Like Jason, my love for this game cannot be destroyed.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:37:54 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Probably the best Game Over screen of all time.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:51:42 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: littlesamson

Ah so many memories with this game. It is true if you understand the game triggers that the game can beat extremely fast. I remember beating this a few times - the ending was such a disappointment : / .

But the game over screen more than makes up for it lol