Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Rad Racer Contest ends Sunday, 10/3/13 at 10 PM NA time

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:18:18 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: LukeAF24

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

This is my personal best performance ever, and although I'd like to build on it, unfortunately my thumbs are killing me!  The best advice I can give is to slow the fuck down for turns, and know when to lay off the turbo...just because you can get that epic speed boost doesn't mean you should.  Takes a bit of practice, but it's not too tough.  That said, I highly doubt I'd have a better run than this any time soon, seems like it was a fluke, but I'm enjoying this one (surprisingly, forgot how much I liked Rad Racer as a kid), so I'll definitely be attempting it again this week
Nice run! Especially for never getting past level two. The biggest tips are indeed to brake, brake and more brake. If you don't know the course by heart, slam on the brake as soon as you see the turn signs on the side of the road. The biggest thing to remember is going 'slow' for 3 seconds is infinitely better than crashing. Another tip is to pick your spots when passing cars. Don't get over anxious. Go slow and take your time when they cut you off and block you in. Especially once you are past level 2 and they purposely try to demolition derby you right off the road. 

Yeah, I noticed that, but if you wait long enough, one of them speeds up/slows down.  Not sure if it holds true throughout the game, but I noticed I could rear-end those cars as well, which would drop my speed a bit instantly by around 50 mph or so.  I actually used that to trim speed heading into turns sometimes, if the timing was right.  And once you're past a car, it never comes back from behind you, so if you can get the car boxing you in from the side to disappear, you're more or less golden.  Also noticed that cars that change lanes only change between two of them, so if they're switching too fast just go to the lane they aren't moving into...again, no idea if that holds true throughout the rest of the game, but it does at least to that point.  Finally, I found if you wipe out on the twisty part of the Grand Canyon level (stage 3), you would actually come to a halt on the road instead of being knocked to the side...this made for a faster recovery time than on the other levels.  I found I crashed there more often than elsewhere, and just limped through the checkpoints, so you do have a tiny bit more leeway than on most other stages. 

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:37:53 AM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

I've always enjoyed Rad Racer- a great deal, actually.  However, I've never sat down and properly mastered/beat the game.  Here's hoping that this contest will be the impetus to change that. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:40:43 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Braking is key. Even when taking a corner you can change lanes if you hit your brake for a second. Also if you stay in the 160 - mid 170 km/h range when taking corners you will be fine. I've found that you can be going full speed right before you take a corner as long as you can brake and get down to that above mentioned range,you will stay on the road. For some of the smaller curves,the speed can be higher. Also when you face a situation where you are boxed in and a car is taking up every lane,either bump one of them flush (on straightaways) or brake. When you do this usually one or two of the cars will separate from the group,giving you the clearance to punch the gas and get by. And try not to wreck on the first leg of the courses. They usually have the shortest margin of error since there is less time. If you can get past the first leg of the stages,the second legs give you more leeway....most of them anyway.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 12:42 PM by gutsman004

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:12:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

F*CK!!! I had a really stupid second of inattention, and I crashed near the end of the race. and I nearly broke 50K!
Also, someone should update the scores in Gradius and in the leaderboard :/

It will be done today.  I have a life outside of NintendoAge that keeps me very busy.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:25:34 PM
ProtoScott (26)
(Mr. SpaceBeard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
I would like to thank K3VBOT for sending me a picture message right when I needed to take a picture of the screen for this. Luckily, I had my ipod next to me as a backup.

Hey you!! Got some Mega Man games??? Wanna sell 'em???

Well Click here ----> http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it isn't checked off PM me!!

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 07:58 PM by ProtoScott

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:46:22 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

Yes!

Edited: 03/08/2013 at 07:18 PM by SwiftFrost

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:55:13 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I beat the game, but forgot to pause before I crossed the finish line and it was too late. Had to take a pic of the scrolling high score in the 'demo.' Hope this suffices. I should be able to get 68kish by the end of the week, hopefully.

That's fine, Luke.  For anyone else who beats the game, if you can't get the score before the game finishes, take your picture of the scrolling high score in the demo like Luke did.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:01:46 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:22:54 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Man,was hoping to see the leaderboard up so I could at least see me in first place for a bit. I have work to do tonight. Goonies 2 will have to wait.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:25:58 PM
milesp1 (23)
(Miles ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 07:26 PM by milesp1

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:27:32 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I beat the game, but forgot to pause before I crossed the finish line and it was too late. Had to take a pic of the scrolling high score in the 'demo.' Hope this suffices. I should be able to get 68kish by the end of the week, hopefully.

I just had the same thing happen except I didn't know the high score stayed on the demo screen so I lost it. Oh well, I should be able to beat the game again tomorrow if I have time to play.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:00:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
The leaderboard is all up to date. Since guillavoie posted the contest this week, I will post the scores so far in the leaderboard thread. They will be in the 3rd post with the rules for game and the upcoming games list:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:43:42 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

The leaderboard is all up to date. Since guillavoie posted the contest this week, I will post the scores so far in the leaderboard thread. They will be in the 3rd post with the rules for game and the upcoming games list:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

Awesome. Going to see if I can reclaim the lead tonight. Since learning of using up on the D-pad my scores have increased,but so has my recklessness. Lol. And Bimmy,I expect to see a good score from you next week. Lol.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:59:21 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

For anyone else who beats the game, if you can't get the score before the game finishes, take your picture of the scrolling high score in the demo like Luke did.

How do you get to the demo screen? I just beat the game again and I can't get it off the "The End" screen to take a picture of my score.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 09:01 PM by bearcat-doug

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:03:24 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Alright let's do this.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:08:24 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

For anyone else who beats the game, if you can't get the score before the game finishes, take your picture of the scrolling high score in the demo like Luke did.

How do you get to the demo screen? I just beat the game again and I can't get it off the "The End" screen to take a picture of my score.

There's 2 ways to do it.  After you pick your car, it takes you to the demo screen where you press Start to begin the race.  Just wait a little bit on the screen and eventually your high score will appear below the speedometer.  The second way is after you get a Game Over.  After the Game Over screen goes away, it takes you to the demo screen where you can wait to see your score.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:16:33 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

There's 2 ways to do it.  After you pick your car, it takes you to the demo screen where you press Start to begin the race.  Just wait a little bit on the screen and eventually your high score will appear below the speedometer.  The second way is after you get a Game Over.  After the Game Over screen goes away, it takes you to the demo screen where you can wait to see your score.
I tried waiting it out and it's still flashing "The End" after about 15 minutes so I guess there's another way to restart it after you beat the game. I finally gave up and hit the reset button and all that did was make the ending play over again.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 09:21 PM by bearcat-doug

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:35:11 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I tried waiting it out and it's still flashing "The End" after about 15 minutes so I guess there's another way to restart it after you beat the game. I finally gave up and hit the reset button and all that did was make the ending play over again.

I've never beaten it, so I'm not sure what it does at the end.  Did you try pressing Start to see if it would restart the game?  Luke, we need your help on this one.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:38:18 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I've never beaten it, so I'm not sure what it does at the end.  Did you try pressing Start to see if it would restart the game?  Luke, we need your help on this one.
I tried pushing start and every button combination that I could think of. Like I mentioned, I even rolled the dice on pushing the reset button and all that does is make the ending play again.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:26:14 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I googled it. Took a bit of searching to find. This website says to "press and hold A then press start."

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:34:20 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I googled it. Took a bit of searching to find. This website says to "press and hold A then press start."

I found that too, but it didn't work either. Apparently that's just a code to continue on the same track after a game over. I'll just have to try again tomorrow. I beat the game two times in a row with a 64k and 66k score so I should be able to do it again. I guess I'll just have to pause it before the finish line on the last track next time and try to be quick with snapping the picture.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:12:56 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I want to hear what luke did as I died on level 8,but replayed it for practice and beat it and couldn't figure out how to get it off the ending screen.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:10:24 AM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
I haven't done one of these contests in a couple years I think. Anyway, I like this game so here goes.
My first attempt was better, but this is the one I got  a pic of.
I always hated the fifth track. Every damn car is a ramp.

Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:28:45 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Why do I get the feeling that Course 5 is going to be the make-or-break point in this tourney? I can now coast through the first few races, but can't seem to perform well on Course 5. Did about an hour of practice on it, so hopefully tomorrow I can improve my score, if not see the next race, but it seems like I've more or less hit a wall at this point.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:38:20 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Why do I get the feeling that Course 5 is going to be the make-or-break point in this tourney? I can now coast through the first few races, but can't seem to perform well on Course 5. Did about an hour of practice on it, so hopefully tomorrow I can improve my score, if not see the next race, but it seems like I've more or less hit a wall at this point.

Right now my wall is leg 2 of course 8. You have zero margin of error. Even if you don't crash you might not make it. What sucks about it are the constant rolling roadblocks impeding your progress. This game should be called roadblock racer or suicide driver. It would be nice if the douchebags who crashed you crashed themselves,but no....apparently in a high speed collision your car is flung 25 feet in the air doing multiple barrel rolls while the other car is completely unscathed. Yep,that's completely realistic.

Edited: 03/06/2013 at 04:39 AM by gutsman004