Excellent YouTube Channel on Video Game Speculation / Investing

Sep 11 at 3:08:21 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: startyde

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It's why I don't like to break things into mere sentence summaries like Arch advocates, because a lot of the details and nuance are lost and assumptions fil the void. 

Nowhere did I advocate for "mere sencence summaries".  

Are you accusing me of TLDRing your opinion? ;p

I can see why you might find it difficult to provide summaries that don't lose the nuance    

-------------------------

Sep 11 at 3:09:59 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States

It's why I don't like to break things into mere sentence summaries like Arch advocates, because a lot of the details and nuance are lost and assumptions fil the void. 

Nowhere did I advocate for "mere sencence summaries".  

Are you accusing me of TLDRing your opinion? ;p

I can see why you might find it difficult to provide summaries that don't lose the nuance    

Haha, fair enough ;p

Sep 11 at 3:10:30 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: romiked2689

Wait who buys arcade machines at today's prices to flip??? I love arcades with a passion but does any really think they are getting an investment when they buy? 
Depends on the machine and the price...

While not quite the same thing, pinball machines of the right era tend to appreciate (or at the very least have a very stable value) so at worst you are generally just tying up capital and won't see a loss beyond the opportunity cost.

Anything cheap enough will sell fast and be a good investment! I got a twilight pinball machine for 4K that was a steal at the time probably is still the same seller had a medieval madness if you know pins that game was gold and then got remastered now not gold. 

On the same note I have a Darius and food fight both are high dollar machines that probably go up more probably because scarcity and those machines complete are difficult or expensive 

Sep 11 at 6:17:38 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: jonebone

Cliffs for those of us interested but not willing to invest hours of time into watching?
TLDR: Guy's entire career is in antiques and collectables, and gives good distinctions between speculating and investing.  Having bought coins, currency, comics, cards, toys, games and legos since the mid 90's, gives advice on the few things actuallly worth investing in, as most everything else is generational and will inevitably be a loss. 
I watched the one video that was the shortest and most relevant to my interests, VGA vs Wata scale.  He did okay but I certainly wasn't impressed enough to think that he's some miraculous gifted collecting expert.  Pros and Cons:

Pros - He knows a lot about a lot.  Well rounded.  He was able to break down the scales pretty well.

Cons - He's clearly not an expert in games.  He says he graded DWIV and Snow Brothers because they were both "uncommon".  A DWIV cart worthy of grading?  Eh.  Then he says he can't tell why one is a 8.0 and one is a 9.0.  Granted, Wata does grade carts brutally and he's not saying he's a grader, but he's basing his expert Wata assessment off having touched 2 graded items.  He also cites the Heritage auction sale of a "$26k complete DK Jr" which is wrong on all 3 fronts, $28.8k, sealed, and DK3.  Sure he's shooting from the hip but if you're citing stuff where you don't even know the details then clearly it wasn't that important to you and you don't have much of an expert opinion on it.

End of day, investing in video games has paid off extremely well for many of us if you know what you're doing.  He strikes me as the guy who has a set amount every month, say $1,000 and he just grabs a bunch of collectibles off eBay with it.  That's not how you do it.  You do it by hunting down deals and buying things below their market rate.  You put in time and effort that pays you handsomely when you flip finds at a profit and you continually reinvest those profits all along the way.  You treat it as a hobby that you enjoy, not some savings account where you set it and forget it.  

Neat video but I don't think I'd watch anymore.  

Having watched almost all of his videos, he is more of an actual investor/speculator in many collectibles markets. I also don't believe his "specialty" is video games, as he often cites making tons of money in his career from coins, comics, and toys. Albeit, he was an eBay seller in like '99 flipping rare Atari games, so he knows a vast amount, but not intricate nuances of factory sealed 1st prints, for example.

The channel is more geared to discussing macro economic trends that have or may affect collecting niches, as well as looking at how specific collectible markets have sustained, grown, fell over the years, and how you might be able to avoid losing money of you want to enter collectibles as a legit asset class. It's not often someone gives such a frank look into different collectible markets, and talks about the speculative nature from the perspective of seeing people make a lot of money, and also lose a lot of money. I found them interesting to slap on at 1.75x and listen haha.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Sep 11 at 8:42:37 PM
snk2d4ever (70)
(Chris M) < Crack Trooper >
Indiana
He criticizes the buyer of the 9k NFR Halo on HA and then goes on a tangent about something he doesn't seem to understand. He should of at least read the auction description...

Entertaining though.

Sep 13 at 10:08:13 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Listened to another one:

In this one he mentions selling a "MINT" CIB Snow Brothers for $650 at TMG this past summer (I was at TMG as well). Acting like his return (says he bought for $200 in 2012) was too good to refuse, and he tried to educate the buyer that he was paying quite a high price.

Well shit dude, I would have gave you $800 easy then, and I'm sure it'd pull $1k+ on ebay... if his "Mint" is truly Mint (I'm a bit doubtful since he couldn't even distinguish between a 8.0 and 9.0 Wata cart).

So yeah, he might have a lot of experience and seems fairly educated, but he doesn't know the CIB / Sealed market very well IMO. He undersold that easy.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 13 at 11:07:01 AM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States

Listened to another one:

In this one he mentions selling a "MINT" CIB Snow Brothers for $650 at TMG this past summer (I was at TMG as well). Acting like his return (says he bought for $200 in 2012) was too good to refuse, and he tried to educate the buyer that he was paying quite a high price.

Well shit dude, I would have gave you $800 easy then, and I'm sure it'd pull $1k+ on ebay... if his "Mint" is truly Mint (I'm a bit doubtful since he couldn't even distinguish between a 8.0 and 9.0 Wata cart).

So yeah, he might have a lot of experience and seems fairly educated, but he doesn't know the CIB / Sealed market very well IMO. He undersold that easy.
You should point that out to him Jone, he replies back to all comments. You two can become boosm buddies...OR DEADLY ENEMIES!!! ;p

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 11:07 AM by startyde

Sep 13 at 5:16:52 PM
Filter81 (1)

< Tourian Tourist >

Cliffs for those of us interested but not willing to invest hours of time into watching?

I watched two of the videos.

The important points I came away with:

1) Don't invest in modern PS4/Wii U/Switch sealed games, it's not the same market as vintage sealed games.  There are too many of the new ones, they can be re-released, and too many people are hoarding them sealed.  

2) Don't invest all of the money you have into one place where you are forced to sell something in a hurry to raise money

3) Buying an Action 1 CGC 9.0 / SMB 1 sticker sealed are a different market with a different pool of buyers than someone buying a Giant Size X-men 1 or a $2000 nintendo game.

Good advice but nothing earth-shattering.  

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 05:53 PM by Filter81

Sep 13 at 8:26:50 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland

Listened to another one:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cVg..." width="500">>

450 return is to good to pass up! Not trying to be like that buy 450 is nothing what someone gamers are pulling in. 

Sep 13 at 8:54:23 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Watched a whole bunch of vids this week while commuting to work. I like the contrarian nature and grounded approach.

Even if i dont agree with everything he says im open on different opinions. There is also sound investment advice about setting up your life first and then diversify into collecting/investing with a part of your net worth, not ALL of it. Opportunity cost and lack of liquidity are two very important considerations when buying sealed games.

My criticism though is that the videos could be shorter, more concise, and with less rants and redundancy on certain topics. I also feel like he is scratching the surface on topics but not going in depths down to the details that can make a difference.

All in all thanks startyde for sharing im definitely looking forward to future videos.

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 08:54 PM by Jim Jimmer

Sep 13 at 11:34:30 PM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
ya i think he's right, been saying it since day one. graded games is fine now kids, silly but fine. 20 years from now... worthless. Remember atari? valuable once and nobody cares now... hell my kids dont care about nes which is my die hard... just saying. Please dont plan your retirement on your hobby. Im not selling either, but because i love it... not trying to make money

Sep 13 at 11:48:50 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

ya i think he's right, been saying it since day one. graded games is fine now kids, silly but fine. 20 years from now... worthless. Remember atari? valuable once and nobody cares now... hell my kids dont care about nes which is my die hard... just saying. Please dont plan your retirement on your hobby. Im not selling either, but because i love it... not trying to make money

Selectivity has always been key. Always. And the people that have made money and will make money moving forward have a knack for anticipating and speculating. That's moreso what he is saying. Don't just purchase anything and expect the price to keep rising, exercise caution and become an expert in the field before throwing around large amounts of money.

Also, your kids don't have to care about NES, they have to care about Nintendo IPs. Those are what need to live on are stay within the public consciousness. Now that the MCU has concluded, it'll be interesting to see what happens to key comics in the coming 5-10 years.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Sep 14 at 1:53:45 AM
Alf Pogs (4)
< Crack Trooper >
California
Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying the videos. I'm more of a collector with a side of investor than a speculator. But I always enjoy consuming information on all sides.

My only real issue is his verbal tick. He says "okay" in a somewhat condescending manner all the damn time. It drives me nuts.

Off and on NES collector since roughly 1996.  Only need a couple more.
Lightly collect other stuff, too. But NES is the only complete set I'll ever try to get and it's only because I got in early.
Full on collector dork who also collect 80's action figures (primarily GI Joes) and comic books. The occasional card as well.

Sep 14 at 9:01:06 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I feel like you guys misunderstand what "Cliff's Notes" would actually cover...    

I wouldn't consider "Cliff's Notes" to be equivalent to the zero-information "TLDR" one-liners that have become popular over the last few years.

I hear ya, but some topics cant be boiled down alas, like investing, esp when the topics range over 40 years of collectables with their own markets and trends. The TLDR version is, this channel covers that, haha.
I have a hard time believing that a video channel couldn't be readily distilled into a synopsis that takes a fraction of the time to read as it would to watch.

Any topic can be summarized more effectively than a TLDR one-liner, no matter how complex or nuanced.

I'm also in the camp where a peeve of mine is people making videos to disseminate information that could MUCH more quickly be read than watched, and much more quickly be written than produced in video format.

I understand why they do it for video ad revenue.  But it doesn't make the inefficiency of it any less annoying.

An MTG channel Alpha Investments basically repeats the same few points over and over with different examples, he makes like two videos a day just talking to the camera. Some people just wanna put on some background noise about entertainment speculation!
People still watch Rudy? 

What's wrong with Rudy? He has over 3000 patreon subscribers and his videos hit thousands of views within a few minutes - clearly folks are still watching him even if you don't.

And, FWIW, Rudy is more knowledgeable about MTG than this guy is about video games.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Sep 14 at 2:15:58 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >

Listened to another one:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cVg..." width="500">>

I think you’ve misunderstood the entire point of his channel. It isn’t about boasting on his collection or his knowledge of the games market, but it’s talking in broad aspects of the mindset you need to apply as a collector/speculator. 

If you’re a pro in the sealed games market, then the channel probably isn’t for you if you only plan to collect games only and nothing else. If on the other hand you plan to invest/collect then it’s definitely a good channel for grounded opinions as opposed to a lot of the bubbly channels which boasts a lot more than they actually know.