Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Games with MAJOR box art variations? Not counting REV-A, Hangtabs & Seal of Qualities.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:20:42 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
So I'm trying to figure out what I want to collect for a full major artwork variant set and I think I've got it down to this list

Licensed NTSC USA Games

Verified Original Variant Variant Type Description
  3-D Worldrunner 3-D Worldrunner (Solid black background) Graphic Design Gradient removed from black background
Yes Bases Loaded Bases Loaded Graphic Design Blue & Red stripe and Seal of Quality swapped placed from bottom left corner to bottom right corner.
Yes Bases Loaded Bases Loaded Graphic Design Orange "Jaleco" stripe at top changed to blue, Red stripe at bottom left corner removed.
  Goal! Goal! Graphic Design Yellow circular saw shape removed from middle left of box offering to donate $0.50 to the Youth Soccer Association.
  Mario Is Missing! Mario Is Missing! (No "Mario Discovery Series") Graphic Design Mario Discovery Series removed from box
  Mega Man 3 Mega Man 3 (w/ Stripe & No Text) Graphic Design Yellow stripe on bottom left corner, no text.
  NES Play Action Football NES Play Action Football (Small 4 Players Logo) Graphic Design Four Players logo changed from Big Red 4 with Blue outline to standard 4 Players logo.
  Ring King Ring King (w/ Stripe) Graphic Design Yellow stripe on bottom right corner with text "Tested and Proven by Ray Leonard Jr."
Yes Star Voyager Star Voyager (Solid black background) Graphic Design Gradient removed from black background
  Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario Bros. 3 ("Bros." on right side of logo) Graphic Design Bros. in Super Mario Bros. is moved from left side of logo to center, next to the "3".
Yes Tecmo Bowl Tecmo Bowl (Right side football) Graphic Design Red white & blue football moved from left side of box to right, Seal of Quality moved down, text added where football used to be.
  Tiger-Heli Tiger-Heli (Solid black background) Graphic Design Gradient removed from black background
Yes Winter Games Winter Games (Solid black background) Graphic Design Gradient removed from black background
  Bill Elliot's: NASCAR Challenge Bill Elliot's: NASCAR Challenge (w/ Promo) Promo Offer White circle with checkered flags on middle left offering a chance to win a trip to the Daytona 500
  Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (No Promo) Promo Offer Red circle on center left removed, used to offer a chance to win a trip to Dracula's hometown.
Yes Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (No Stripe) Promo Offer Red stripe on bottom left corner offering $10.00 Capcom coupon removed
  Gun.Smoke Gun.Smoke (No Promo) Promo Offer Blue Captain Commando sticker on bottom center removed.
  Mega Man Mega Man (No Promo) Promo Offer Blue Captain Commando sticker on bottom center removed.
Yes Mega Man 2 Mega Man 2 (No Stripe) Promo Offer Orange stripe on bottom left corner offering a $10.00 Capcom coupon removed
Yes Mega Man 3 Mega Man 3 (No Stripe) Promo Offer Yellow stripe on bottom left corner offering a $10.00 Capcom coupon removed
Yes Mickey Mousecapade Mickey Mousecapade (No Stripe) Promo Offer Yellow stripe on middle left offering $10.00 Capcom coupon removed
  Section-Z Section-Z (No Sticker) Promo Offer Blue Captain Commando sticker on bottom center removed.
  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (W/ Promo) Promo Offer Red brick on middle right offering a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut
Yes Family Fun Fitness: Athletic World Athletic World Redesign Family Fun Fitness branding removed, graphic design changed from Japanese style artwork to Western style.
Yes Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll (White Box) Redesign Box changed from red with Japanese style artwork to white with Western style artwork.
Yes Gun.Smoke Gun.Smoke (Photographic Artwork) Redesign Artwork changed from Cartoon style artwork to Photorealistic artwork, Promo Sticker removed.
  Hollywood Squares Hollywood Squares (Blue Box) Redesign Box changed from black to blue, logo is changed as well.
  Untouchables, The Untouchables, The (Red Stripe) Redesign Box changed from black to blue, artwork is swapped from movie screengrab to a black silhouette.
Yes Wayne Gretzky Hockey Wayne Gretzky Hockey (White Kings Logo Jersey) Redesign Box changed from Wayne Gretzky in a black LA Kings jersey to a white LA Kings jersey
Yes Wayne Gretzky Hockey Wayne Gretzky Hockey (White No Logo Jersey) Redesign Box changed from Wayne Gretzky in a black LA Kings jersey to a white no logo jersey
Yes Blades of Steel Blades of Steel (Konami Classic Series) Rerelease Red border around entire box with text "Konami Classic Series" on top.
Yes Gyromite Gyromite (Big Box) Rerelease Comes in a much larger box to accommodate the parts that go to the Nintendo R.O.B.
Yes Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda, The (Clasic Series) Rerelease Red stripe added to the entire top portion of the box with text "Classic Series"
Yes Metroid Metroid (Classic Series) Rerelease Red stripe added to the entire top portion of the box with text "Classic Series"
Yes Punch-Out!! Punch-Out!! (Classic Series) Rerelease Red stripe added to the entire top portion of the box with text "Classic Series"
Yes Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Classic Series) Rerelease Red stripe added to the entire top portion of the box with text "Classic Series"

Licensed / Unlicensed NTSC USA Games

Yes Gauntlet Gauntlet (Tengen) Licensing Gold border added to left and bottom sides of the box. Tengen Seal of Quality replaces the with Nintendo Seal of Quality. Tengen logo changed from white to red.
Yes Pac-Man Pac-Man (Tengen) Licensing Gold border added to left and bottom sides of the box. Tengen Seal of Quality replaces the with Nintendo Seal of Quality. Tengen logo changed from white to red.
Yes R.B.I. Baseball R.B.I. Baseball (Tengen) Licensing Gold border added to left and bottom sides of the box. Tengen Seal of Quality replaces the with Nintendo Seal of Quality. Tengen logo changed from white to red. Text in black stripe changed from yellow to gold.
  Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Nintendo SoQ) Republish Box changed from unlicensed Tengen gold box to licensed blue & yellow box. Artwork is flipped horizontally and logo is slightly changed from white subtext with black shadow to yellow text with orange .shadow.

Unlicensed NTSC USA Games

Yes King of Kings: The Early Years King of Kings: The Early Years (Gold Box) Redesign Box changed from black box with Joseph & Mary looking over baby Jesus to the Three Wise Men riding camels in the desert.
Yes Pac-Man Pac-Man (10th Anniversary Edition) Redesign Box changed from Tengen style Pac-Man to Namco style Pac-Man, Logo changed, text added under logo "#1 Video Arcade Hit Of All Time"
  Maxi 15 Maxi 15 (Yellow Box, Purple Sticker) Repackage Clamshell now included in a yellow box. Maxi 15 Sticker is now purple and clamshell back sticker goes around the bottom of box.
Yes 6 in 1 (Caltron) Six Games In One: Multigame Cartridge (Myriad) Republish Box changed from concept art from all six included games to a Neon Pink & Blue text. Publisher changed from Caltron Industries, Inc. to Myriad Games, Inc.
  Impossible Mission-II Impossible Mission II (AVE) Republish Box changed from villain on skyscraper shooting lasers to Protagonist pushing a woman while shooting his laser gun. Publisher changed from S.E.I. to American Video Entertainment
  Impossible Mission-II Impossible Mission-II (Yellow Warning) Graphic Design Warning label on bottom left corner changed from black with white text to yellow with black text.

So am I missing anything from this list or is that it for the major artwork variations not counting REV-A's, Hangtabs and Seal of Qualities?

-------------------------

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 02/23/2013 at 11:00 AM by PowerPlayers

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:23:57 PM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Gun.smoke has a major cart variant. I assume the box art would match that of the cart.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:24:11 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I don't see how you include blades of steel and don't include flying dragon.. you might want to check that out

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:25:39 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Ohh, beat me to the punch!

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:41:41 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
I actually didn't know about Flying Dragon! Completely forgot about Gun.Smoke though.

Anything else?

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:19:28 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Just remembered another one.

Hollywood Squares Blue Box vs. Hollywood Squares Black Box

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:19:38 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
You forgot the unlicensed ones:

Also Gun.Smoke cartoon art is the original and the profile art is the variant.

A few others I would consider:
SMB 3 ("Bros." at left and right on box/cart/manual) pretty obvious, but overall art remains the same
Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge (w/ and w/o large Daytona 500 trip offer)
there are a few others with offers on the box:
TMNT II
Mega Man 2 & 3
Castlevania 3

but these are all debatable as to how "major" the art difference is to the overall design.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:31:44 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
I have two criteria for a major variant.

1.) If the artwork is completely different than the original

or

2.) If the game is rebranded or re-released (FFF: AW, Zelda's, etc.)

I'm going to add a third criteria now though and that is...

3.) Promotional Offer on or off the box.

Also, I'm not doing unlicensed. But yes, those are great variants. Now do Sachen variants

Edited: 02/19/2013 at 04:33 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59:03 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
promo offers:
tmnt 2, castlevania 3

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
oh, and mega man, section z, and gunsmoke again (more promo offers)

Edited: 02/19/2013 at 05:00 PM by Bronty

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:01:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

You forgot the unlicensed ones:

Also Gun.Smoke cartoon art is the original and the profile art is the variant.

A few others I would consider:
SMB 3 ("Bros." at left and right on box/cart/manual) pretty obvious, but overall art remains the same
Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge (w/ and w/o large Daytona 500 trip offer)
there are a few others with offers on the box:
TMNT II
Mega Man 2 & 3
Castlevania 3

but these are all debatable as to how "major" the art difference is to the overall design.

ah yes beat me to it on some of those

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:02:38 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
wait, mega man 2? Are you sure you have that right Kenneth?

Maybe you mean MM1?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:06:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado
Yeah MM1 on the Captain Commando sticker offers, but I was talking about the printed on box offers on the bottom left corner of MM2 & MM3 ($10 off coupon). I only have them this way, so not sure if both exist, I'll have to check.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:09:54 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-...

Looks like on 3 they just omitted the text and left the yellow stripe. Didn't see any MM2 on ebay without offer, maybe someone can confirm it.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:52:21 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Yeah we talked about this in the variants thread in the help wanted section. Mickey Mousecapade has that same variant. The one with the offer and the one with the box but the offer blanked out.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:57:15 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Here's an old pic of mine.  Good ol Capcom variants.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:00:22 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Oh and this one too...  Non REV-A no Stripe, Non REV-A With Stripe, REV-A With Stripe.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:01:01 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado
Forgot the Mickey one and RR.

Erik, do you know if there is a Mega Man 2 without the offer on the box?

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:40:08 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Yes Megaman 2 is available without the stripe on the box. Though very tough to find.

Edited: 02/19/2013 at 06:43 PM by Braveheart69

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:52:36 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
For Winter Games there are two versions, one with a gradient and one with black backgound.
REV-A    Non REV-A 

Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:10:36 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Nice! It looks like we're starting to cross into the point where you have to debate what's minor and major. I personally consider that gradient a major variant. Also, thanks for the help Brave, if anyone knows this stuff it's you. Hope to catch up with you one day (Sachen, Spain and Netherlands will be killer though)

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:24:17 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Heh if you're going to count that winter games as a major variant then I have 4 box variants on star voyager for you to get.

Edited: 02/19/2013 at 10:27 PM by Braveheart69

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:45:03 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: vladictivo

For Winter Games there are two versions, one with a gradient and one with black backgound.
REV-A    Non REV-A 

Well thats true of all early acclaim games - tiger heli, worldrunner, etc

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:54:25 AM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Would you count Mike Tyson's Punchout and Punchout (ft. Mr. Dream) to be a variant since one is a rebrand technically?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:58:42 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Just thought I'd make mention...just because YOU don't care about unlicensed doesn't mean they shouldn't be mentioned. Stuff like this needs to be as complete as possible as a collector's tool. Even if it's a separate section (licensed stuff, then unlicensed stuff as a second list), it should still be listed.

Also, for completion sake, if you're doing publisher variants, there's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Mindscape/Tengen) and Pac-Man (Tengen/Namco), which may have eluded you due to being licensed vs unlicensed (although Pac-Man WAS licensed as well...yet another box variant, same as Gauntlet and RBI Baseball). Ms. Pac-Man actually has differences between the Tengen and Namco versions, so they wouldn't really be variants. And Impossible Mission II (AVE/SEI) had a publisher variant for the unlicensed list...although the two cart variants of the SEI version, from what I can tell, both had the same box.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee