Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Mighty Bomb Jack Contest ends Sunday, 9/25/16 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:14:17 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Wish I wasn't so busy. I dumped a lot of time into Mighty Bomb Jack when I beat it a few months ago.

-------------------------

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:28:55 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
I never gave this an honest go because it seemed so simplistic -- however, i'm having a lot of fun with this one.

Edited: 09/25/2016 at 03:00 AM by barrels

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:21:25 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

I never gave this an honest go because it seemed so simplistic -- however, i'm having a lot of fun with this one.

Yeah it's not bad. I've been trying to figure out the best method for racking up a big score quickly (within the rules). I'm getting there. If I could get over 500k that would be super.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:08:33 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I doubt that anyone here will approach Tom Votava's record of over 22,000,000 for this game, unless Bea decides to play... http://www.twingalaxies.com/showt...)

http://www.champow.com/index.php?...

Edited: 09/20/2016 at 12:12 AM by mbd39

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:46:33 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I intend to put some effort on this one this week, mostly because finishing at top 3 on the action/platformer category would be pretty cool.
But between resigning from my company and selling my shares, belly and pole dancing classes, wooing this lady at my belly dancing classes, my life is at a bit of a hectic spot right now to put proper effort into video games.
And between spending a Saturday pushing buttons on a game to score high or spending it with sweet girl kisses and making other skilled uses of my fingers, the latter wins by miles.
But we will see. No way I will beat that Twin Galaxies score this week, though.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 09/20/2016 at 06:24 AM by Bea_Iank

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:37:29 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

I intend to put some effort on this one this week, mostly because finishing at top 3 on the action/platformer category would be pretty cool.
But between resigning from my company and selling my shares, belly and pole dancing classes, wooing this lady at my belly dancing classes, my life is at a bit of a hectic spot right now to put proper effort into video games.
And between spending a Saturday pushing buttons on a game to score high or spending it with sweet girl kisses and making other skilled uses of my fingers, the latter wins by miles.
But we will see. No way I will beat that Twin Galaxies score this week, though.

I've figured out some good legit point-racking methods. I'd like to get over 500k and then I might be done.

I could see you getting over a million if you become obsessed with this game though.

Edited: 09/20/2016 at 11:37 AM by mbd39

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:00:23 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
new score below, old score 743,430

This thread is too quiet. Let's show some love for this game. I'm having a blast (!) with it, spent about 6 hours straight playing yesterday and into the night.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 05:19 PM by Krunch

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:20:46 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

This thread is too quiet. Let's show some love for this game. I'm having a blast (!) with it, spent about 6 hours straight playing yesterday and into the night.

Did you beat the game already?

I'm not even trying to beat it. I'm just going for a decent score. I probably won't top yours but who knows.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:26:31 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: mbd39

I'm not even trying to beat it. I'm just going for a decent score. I probably won't top yours but who knows.

No I didn't even come close. At the risk of possibly costing myself my first #1 score, but in the vein of friendly competition and to get more people interested in the game, I'll tell you my secret.

In the end-of-level bonus rooms, collect one single bomb to make another one light up. Then, only collect lit bombs (every time you collect a lit bomb, another one will light up). If you collect 23 lit bombs, you will get a special bonus of 50,000. This adds up at a quicker or equal rate than the normal levels in most case.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:32:05 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

No I didn't even come close. At the risk of possibly costing myself my first #1 score, but in the vein of friendly competition and to get more people interested in the game, I'll tell you my secret.

In the end-of-level bonus rooms, collect one single bomb to make another one light up. Then, only collect lit bombs (every time you collect a lit bomb, another one will light up). If you collect 23 lit bombs, you will get a special bonus of 50,000. This adds up at a quicker or equal rate than the normal levels in most case.

I already knew about the bomb bonus, but it's not easy to get because of enemies. You can still get a high bonus even if you don't manage to collect every lit bomb as long as you collect a lot of them.

Did you find the hidden 1up in stage 3 near the palm tree?

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:42:20 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

I already knew about the bomb bonus, but it's not easy to get because of enemies. You can still get a high bonus even if you don't manage to collect every lit bomb as long as you collect a lot of them.

Did you find the hidden 1up in stage 3 near the palm tree?

Apologies Michael. Last time I checked your score it was still in the 200's, so I assumed you didn't know about it. Yes the bonus is fairly hard to get, moreso on later levels. And there are definitely lots of other points to be had on the bonus levels.

I haven't found the 1UP on level 3. I knew there had to be a secret somewhere around there since its such a dead space and I always check random spots but haven't found anything yet.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:52:00 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
You definitely have to keep moving in this game. Take your time and you're immediately surrounded by enemies with no means to escape except by using mighty coins. Sometimes they'll spawn right on top of you, or you'll jump right smack into an enemy that has just appeared.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:03:24 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

You definitely have to keep moving in this game. Take your time and you're immediately surrounded by enemies with no means to escape except by using mighty coins. Sometimes they'll spawn right on top of you, or you'll jump right smack into an enemy that has just appeared.

Yeah, and you really don't want to be blowing your Mighty Coins just to get out of a bind. Those need to be used acquire points, or extra lives.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:44:32 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Getting over 500k in this game is not easy even with all the bonuses. The enemies get ridiculous by stage 6.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:50:48 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I will give it a try later tonight to feel the game after I am back from the gym and my dancing classes.
It might catch my fancy enough for me to put an effort on it.  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:36:13 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Did 150K points on my first run. It is a fun game, but I am having some hard time getting used to the jumping mechanics.
He falls down way too slow, making it hard for me to avoid enemies.
We will see how this will evolve. I will try to put a try or two every night till I get a score worth posting.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:02:05 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Did 150K points on my first run. It is a fun game, but I am having some hard time getting used to the jumping mechanics.
He falls down way too slow, making it hard for me to avoid enemies.
We will see how this will evolve. I will try to put a try or two every night till I get a score worth posting.

You can abort a jump at any time by pressing the jump button again. To do a short jump just press the button then quickly press it again. Rapidly pressing the jump button lets you hover. The jumping is floaty and the controls are unusual, but you get used to it.

This seems like your kind of game.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:28:04 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I've tinkered a bit but really have not yet had the time to sit down and really try a run. I have at least made participation but I'm guessing I won't go much beyond that this week with the way it's been going.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:57:31 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I'm just gonna take a no thank you on this game. It's way to awful and way too stressful for this week. Not even remotely fun.

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:25:34 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I like this game, but the way it throws enemies at you is ridiculous. By level 7 if you even stop to open a chest, a bunch of enemies will materialize around you and trap you.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:29:09 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
I can't believe this made Seanbaby's list of 20 worst NES games. I know I'm enjoying it more than the average person would, but still, there are games far worse than this in the library.

Just goes to show not to take anyone's opinion as gospel.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:44:49 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I can't believe this made Seanbaby's list of 20 worst NES games. I know I'm enjoying it more than the average person would, but still, there are games far worse than this in the library.

Just goes to show not to take anyone's opinion as gospel

It's good, but it is HARD as well as being the kind of game that practically demands a walkthrough/guide. Renting or buying it back in the day with no internet would have been a frustrating experience.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:50:19 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
I haven't tested this, but I think if we weren't going for points we would be having a much easier time. There's really no chests worth stopping for if you played this way...don't need to refill your timer nor would you need mighty coins (under the theory that if you're just ripping through the levels you won't get caught by enemies in any extreme way. You can't use coins in the bonus levels anyway).

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:57:53 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I've figured out how to get over 340k by the beginning of level 3, but I'm still having trouble reaching 700k. I'm getting close. Once I'm finally over 700k then I might call it quits. That should get me a decent top 8 spot.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:09:58 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
That's really high for start of level 3, I'm not sure why you're doing. My highest at that point is about 220K.

I think you're definitely safe to get top 8 with 700K. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this game. Maybe it's the end-of-year effect.

My goal is 1 million. I'm out of town all weekend so whatever I post Friday night will be my final score.