Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"It's a nice deck" "excellent condition" subjective?

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:33:05 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I guess I missed "pulled out of butt" from the listing description. I mean, if the board is fine, just swap out the corroded shielding. Also, I hate to be THAT guy, but replacement rubber feet and Nintendo hotline stickers do exist. I would see replacing the rubber feet as a selling point as it would have a better grip. Personally, I can live with the crack in the front, but theres not a whole lot you can do about that.

Where I draw the line, is the cords. Man, screw that! The power cord looks like it got blown up in an outlet and when you are missing parts of the sheeth in the av cables, its time to replace them! Also, did someone shoot the jumper pack with a bb gun? Why is there a hole? Overall, I have no clue what funtastic sets are selling for, but it sounds like it was a decent deal.

-------------------------
Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 10/13/2017 at 02:18 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:24:14 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
I wanna know who the 4 people who voted this "nice" are, show yourselves!

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:07:05 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Wow, so did it work?
Reset button did not.

Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

I guess I missed "pulled out of butt" from the listing description. I mean, if the board is fine, just swap out the corroded shielding. Also, I hate to be THAT guy, but replacement rubber feet and Nintendo hotline stickers do exist. I would see replacing the rubber feet as a selling point as it would have a better grip. Personally, I can live with the crack in the front, but theres not a whole lot you can do about that. Where I draw the line, is the cords. Man, screw that! The power cord looks like it got blown up in an outlet and when you are missing parts of the sheeth in the av cables, its time to replace them! Also, did someone shoot the jumper pack with a bb gun? Why is there a hole? Overall, I have no clue what funtastic sets are selling for, but it sounds like it was a decent deal.
The jumper pak hole was where someone ripped out the screw post. It left a hole on BOTH sides. Ichinisan and I already have replacement feet. Cleaning and restoring is easy enough except for the crack, as you noted. That's why Ichinisan said he probably would have bought it even if the seller had described it correctly. Again, the complaint isn't the condition (we've had/sold worse!). The complaint is in how that condition was described.

By "parting out" he really means mixing and matching with the rest of our consoles. We already switched the motherboard, jumper pak, heatsinks/EMI shielding, PSU, etc and raided another junk console for the missing mounting hardware. It's actually fully modded, cleaned, and ready to go with a 3D printer cart slot (for a clean, no-cut import mod).

The thing about Jungle Green is it predates the Funtastic series thanks to the DK64 bundle. Because it also continued to sell as a Funtastic color, it's easily the most common alternate color. Still my favorite though.  

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:15:56 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Idk why you wouldn't just ask for a refund and return the item. If I buy something from a big box stores, and I'm not satisfied with my purchase, I take it back and get my money and then buy the product that I really want. I think it's so weird that ppl play these feedback games on eBay. It's your money. Get what you want from it and call it a day. Also, for $60 do you realistically think you'll get an immaculate jungle green N64? At a certain point, do we need to be honest with ourselves and think that if we don't pay top price we shouldn't expect top quality? Should we ask ourselves, if this was in good condition, shouldn't the seller be asking more?

Not a big box store.

I've been paying less and getting more. This was $71 total.

I was in a rush and didn't check everything out as thoroughly as I should have. I would have moved on if I realized.

Definitely does not need to be "immaculate." Just decent.

So not only did you overlook the condition which apparently is an important factor for you but you also don't think that this console is in decent condition? Also, because youve gotten better deals in the past, you expect to just keeping getting good deals on great condition consoles?

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:36:14 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Idk why you wouldn't just ask for a refund and return the item. If I buy something from a big box stores, and I'm not satisfied with my purchase, I take it back and get my money and then buy the product that I really want. I think it's so weird that ppl play these feedback games on eBay. It's your money. Get what you want from it and call it a day. Also, for $60 do you realistically think you'll get an immaculate jungle green N64? At a certain point, do we need to be honest with ourselves and think that if we don't pay top price we shouldn't expect top quality? Should we ask ourselves, if this was in good condition, shouldn't the seller be asking more?

Not a big box store.

I was in a rush and didn't check everything out as thoroughly as I should have. I would have moved on if I realized.

So not only did you overlook the condition which apparently is an important factor for you ...

Yeah. My bad. My eyesight is poor and I didn't even want to try and look on my phone. I accepted the assurance from the seller -- on a service where the seller doesn't get paid unless I decide that I'm happy with the item (Mercari).

... but you also don't think that this console is in decent condition?
Missing many parts and screws. Reset button didn't work. Heavily corroded, scratched, chipped, and gouged. Everything covered in dirt. Everything.

As I said: I'm not picky. I would have bought it anyway for the right price.

It was not in decent condition. Certainly not "excellent" condition or "nice" as the seller emphasized. I accept fault for buying it. I'm just venting that there are people who will say anything to make a sale.

... Also, because youve gotten better deals in the past, you expect to just keeping getting good deals on great condition consoles?
Certainly. Every time we decide to do UltraHDMI, we go online and get a Jungle Green N64 (Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, LetGo, Mercari, etc). We even did it by mail through eBay for one of them. This was one of the more expensive ones so far, but also the worst condition. After inspecting it and deciding not to use it, we immediately went online and got a much cheaper one with a matching controller. I would need to have my brother tell me again what the exact price was.

It literally went like this: We decided we didn't want to use that one. Checked some apps. Found one. Messaged the seller. Then drove off to get it. Done. We even search the next state over and try to find some other items in the area at the same time.

Jungle Green doesn't seem to be all that expensive to acquire. Maybe there's some confusion about that. Because of the DK64 bundle, Jungle Green is far more common than other Funtastic consoles. Half of the ones we have purchased came with the Expansion Pak too.

Edited: 10/13/2017 at 09:58 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:55:32 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Not a big box store.

So not only did you overlook the condition which apparently is an important factor for you but you also don't think that this console is in decent condition? Also, because youve gotten better deals in the past, you expect to just keeping getting good deals on great condition consoles?
He explained all that. Again, this is not about the condition of the console or his mistakes that he acknowledges. It's about people deliberately describing it inaccurately (the opposite of a mistake).

Now, take a look at the pics in the OP one more time. You see the one from Mercari? Did you notice that the only issue Ichinisan described that's even visible is the crack over the controller port? Take another look and honestly tell me that you would have noticed that AND known that it was a crack. I sure would not have thought that was a crack.

It sounds like you would rather level criticism at someone who has already admitted his mistakes. He wanted to discuss people who will directly lie to you about condition but you insist on dwelling on his mistakes. Something tells me he didn't share just to have his mistakes exaggerated and thrown back in his face as ridicule. That's a deck move.

Seriously: Be civil.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:09:16 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Thats a shit deck if you ask me. 

I know you guys will clean it and make it nice, but I would have given that guy a "poor" rating. 
Yep. He would have too if he had the time to test and look closer but he didn't want to hold the seller's payment up while we worked on a better condition system.

Mercari acts like an escrow and doesn't release payment to the seller until the buyer says it's "Great" or "Good." Since we didn't know the full extent until a week later, we thought it still warranted payment, hence, the "Good" rating (AKA, borderline unsatisfied).

In that context, "Good" really means not "Great" and really is borderline for requesting a refund. The only other option, "Poor," would have started the returns process before we were aware that it was bad enough to warrant that. Even knowing all this we still would have bought it for ~$55 (nearly his asking price) if he were honest. I've paid the much for similar condition in the past.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:18:59 PM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
(John Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland

Originally posted by: Indigo_Streetlight

If he posts the condition as "good", he shouldn't be talking up the condition to "excellent"-- I can agree with that. Though as soon as I read about how you didn't look at the pictures or ask more questions before making the purchase-- right there your post lost a lot of steam.

Yes. My lack of dilligence is why I didn't rate him as "poor." My only complaint is that some people will blatantly misrepresent something to get a sale. Pretty sleazy.

Originally posted by: Indigo_Streetlight

P.S. What you're describing with the reset switch could be caused by accumulated dust, shake it and the connection is restored.

Yeah. I did a lot more fiddling before I disassembled it and that didn't seem to help. The board was upside down while we had the meter probes on it. Working the reset button in that position could be why it started working.

Yeah, I'd watch out for anyone who uses a one-liner in their description; I tend to write a bible myself since there's a lot of flaws that would never show up in my pictures. This guy's probably from the opposite school; he'd rather process the occasional return instead of cluttering up the buyer's field of vision with text.

That night the Captain’s granddaughter
Would celebrate her birthday
“I’ve come a long way,” said the Captain,
“From Lost Christabel this night.
Accompanied by my dog familiar,
To blast your rafters with my surprise.
Granddaughter, It’s a foreign mirror
Taken from the jungle by crime!”

~ Blue Oyster Cult - Magna of Illusion

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:47:41 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
  -- on a service where the seller doesn't get paid unless I decide that I'm happy with the item (Mercari).
I know you keep saying you know you fucked up and it's your own fault and so forth. But you also keep saying this, and I'm really confused to why you let him get paid.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:17:50 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: gunpei

-- on a service where the seller doesn't get paid unless I decide that I'm happy with the item (Mercari).
I know you keep saying you know you fucked up and it's your own fault and so forth. But you also keep saying this, and I'm really confused to why you let him get paid.
It's in the OP: he didn't want to hold up payment over the minor issues he was aware of. He discovered the true extent a week after giving the lowest rating that still releases the funds. You and I have the benefits of hindsight but it's blinding us to the moment that decision was made.

I'll go into WAY too much detail if it helps us understand his decision at that moment:

The package was delivered and the seller was asking for feedback long before Ichinisan would even be home to receive it (moments after the Nest camera notification showed the delivery driver dropping off the package). I was stopping there on my lunch break to feed the cat and secure the package when Ichinisan saw me on camera and asked me to open/test the N64 really quick.

Initially I told him that I didn't have the time but he said that the seller was already asking for payment and must need it ASAP (if he was watching tracking that closely). I recorded myself opening the box, made sure it booted a game, then called Ichinisan to describe it while I headed back to work. I told him it was "dusty" and mentioned the crack that wasn't too bad. Ichinisan sounded disappointed but I wasn't aware of how it was described to him. I told him that it would probably clean up nicely, but I was in such a hurry didn't even turn the lights on to see through the shell.

Having not seen it himself, all he knew at the time was what I told him. I didn't know what the seller had said to him.

I was about 5 mins late getting back to work from my lunch break. Ichinisan wasn't going to be home until some time in the AM the following day, so he knocked his rating down based on my description and paid the man. Entirely reasonable. If anything, blame me for unboxing it in the dark and leaving moments later without looking more thoroughly. I wasn't involved until that point and neither of us revisited it for a week.

Again, our only complaint is in how this was blatantly misrepresented. We aren't saying that we did our due diligence (we didn't) or that we were forced to pay/accept (we weren't).

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 05:34 PM by CZroe

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:22:23 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: gunpei

I realized I had to get another system for our purpose, so we did. I also knew I wouldn't get a chance to thoroughly check this one for a while (turned out to be about 1 week), so I felt it would be unreasonable to make him wait that long. I went ahead and did it.

Basically I just got way too busy and waited way too long to acquire one in the first place. It will be nice when I can have a few of these queued up and ready to go.

The only reason I keep mentioning how Mercari works is because that's a major factor in how much I trusted the seller's comments. It's in the seller's best interest to describe the item accurately.

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 02:25 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:02:10 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: CZroe

It seems that we always have to go into WAY too much detail ...
I don't know why your stories are often confusing either.

Originally posted by: CZroe

We aren't saying that we did our due diligence (we didn't) or that we were forced to pay/accept (we weren't).
It's in my post: I know

Anyway, yes of course, I agree that the seller is a real dirtbag. I hope you guys don't get burned like that again. Thank you for sharing this cautionary tale.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:41:46 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: jacob...

not to be a party pooper on the whole, hehe that sounds like dick parade but it is called a control deck.

Edited: 10/18/2017 at 12:42 PM by CZroe

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:44:11 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

At 60 bucks I wouldn't expect any cracks in it.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:59:35 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

At 60 bucks I wouldn't expect any cracks in it.

I might, but that's because I find small cracks and chips in about a third of them around that price... none described as "nice" or "excellent condition" though. That's where our expectations were set.

They're usually tiny cracks in the vents or a chip on the front corners. I've even seen an internal chip that was likely there from the factory. Nothing like that crack coming off the 2nd controller port though.

Edited: 10/18/2017 at 02:09 PM by CZroe

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:09:56 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Saw this on Facebook:

"Good condition"

Did not buy.

Still might buy it.

Also, I actually bought from the same Mercari seller again (the one I got the green system from in the OP). This time, his description actually said "no cracks" and it still had a good price. Still impossible to make out anything in the pictures. I've adjusted my expectations to ignore his description and expect the worst.  

Edited: 10/24/2017 at 08:12 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:16:38 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Look at those braided cables lol

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:08:34 PM
johnnyboy113 (352)
(John ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Look at those braided cables lol

Lol that's definitely driving you crazy

Pizza will be delivered to all in May! ;-)

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:45:21 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
nope...

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:57:04 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
That deck has "character" :v