Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Console-perfect" NES emulation It's 2014. Why is this so hard?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:32:40 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

On average it takes 200ms (and as low as 120ms) for the human reaction time , not 400ms.

You can do an experiment at home with a ruler and some math to determine your average response time, if you'd like.

The 400 ms I mentioned is from eyes to brain to your FOOT, not hands.  That's the basis of the staging trees in drag racing.  So you would have to catch it with your toes.

From the studies I've read, reaction time for feet is maybe 10ms slower than hands. It also depends on the application (are you comparing moving toes with fingers, or how quickly a person can lift their foot? For games that require both hand and foot movement, it all depends which reaction time will be faster. In this case, we're talking about pushing a button with your fingers, not your toes.

I would totally believe an extra 200ms required to get full pedal travel in a drag racer over doing a button-press action with your hand.

But he is making the mistake of just doubling the 200ms average time for hand-actions.

The distance to your foot is roughly double the distance to your hand, sure.
But the vast majority of that 200ms is NOT transport delay, it is recognition and processing time.

Only the transport delay doubles in a foot vs hand response time comparison.

Understandable. But putting it in the same application, ie, pressing a button with your toe or finger (the same button, mind you), won't be a huge difference in time (though significant enough to fail at many games). If you were pushing a pedal down with your hand, then your hand would be slightly faster (unless it takes more force than your used to exerting from your hand/muscles, then it would be slower). Comparing pushing a nes button to a gas pedal (or any other application with a different part of your body with different requirements) is silly. Compare it to a drummer who has to be quicker with his feet than his hand, depending on the style of music, where your feet have to have a significantly higher response time than your arms (also a major displacement difference from your foot to a kick pedal and your arm+stick from a high hat )

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:33:49 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

It is basic arithmetic.

If (your reaction time) > (design reaction time - non-design latency) you will fail.  End of story.

The specific numbers are irrelevant to that point.

What this sounds like to me is this same made up arguement:

If you sit farther away from the TV, it takes longer for the light to reach your eyes.  Sure you may have to be a few light-seconds away for it to be realevant, but since we prove that distance does matter, specifific numbers is no longer relevant.

That's just a technicality.  Again, all I'm saying based on that other long ass drawn out topic, 1-2 frames are not going to do much.  Not all games themselves react in that time span. 3+ yea sure it'll be noticable, but if you loose an event because of 1 frame of lag, you were just too slow and cut it too close.

Can you name a game where you have that close of a margin ? 

You wouldn't notice the difference between light being emitted from 5 feet to 100 feet as light travels much quicker than anyone can think.

As for games, any rockband and guitar hero game will be next to impossible to play if there's a 10 ms lag in either audio or video.

Edited: 10/01/2014 at 12:35 PM by dra600n

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:34:00 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

If you sit farther away from the TV, it takes longer for the light to reach your eyes.  Sure you may have to be a few light-seconds away for it to be realevant, but since we prove that distance does matter, specifific numbers is no longer relevant.

That's just a technicality.  Again, all I'm saying based on that other long ass drawn out topic, 1-2 frames are not going to do much.  Not all games themselves react in that time span. 3+ yea sure it'll be noticable, but if you loose an event because of 1 frame of lag, you were just too slow and cut it too close.

I'm not familiar enough with the entirety of the library to know how much cue-ing time you get in most games.

But cropping the cueing time on Tyson, for instance definitely matters to a lot of people.

From my own experience with L19+ on Tetris, I'd say takes 2 frames, or more to be truly detrimental, but you would have to ask Jonas or Harry to characterize how much individual frames of latency impact their play.

You would need to know the actual cue-length of specific events though to say what percentage of people are impacted by each additional frame of latency based on average response times.

But your light vs distance argument is many orders of magnitude different from the per-frame timescales we are discussing it shouldn't even bear mentioning.

Edited: 10/01/2014 at 12:34 PM by arch_8ngel

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:35:11 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It is basic arithmetic.

If (your reaction time) > (design reaction time - non-design latency) you will fail.  End of story.

The specific numbers are irrelevant to that point.

You wouldn't notice the difference between light being emitted from 5 feet to 100 feet as light travels much quicker than anyone can think.

He is just trying to disqualify my statement of the times not being relevant to my stated formula, by picking the most extreme case possible.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:36:29 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
damnit I have too many posts to quote here and quoting all in one post is a pain.

Originally posted by: bunnyboy
think you are a smart guy, so don't screw up your comments with obviously wrong stuff like this! 

That was 90% sarcasam.  I mean sure, adding an exentsion cable would add a bit of lag, but I can't see it even being a MS. 

From the studies I've read, reaction time for feet is maybe 10ms slower than hands. It also depends on the application (are you comparing moving toes with fingers, or how quickly a person can lift their foot? For games that require both hand and foot movement, it all depends which reaction time will be faster. In this case, we're talking about pushing a button with your fingers, not your toes.

I'll back down on the 400 MS for feet, me saying that is based mostly on anecdotal evidence from drag racing.  You have two main types of trees, a normal one that lights up at 500 ms intravels and a pro that lights at 400 ms.  Everyone's always told me the pro tree was designed because that's how long it takes to react and press the foot down.

But he is making the mistake of just doubling the 200ms average time for hand-actions.

But the vast majority of that 200ms is NOT transport delay, it is recognition and processing time.

I'd say you should know to give me more credit than that, but then again I'm quoting anecdotal evidence from drag racers with 3-4 beers in them for human reaction times.

And yes, I had to look up how to spell anecdotal.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:40:10 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Ozzy, it probably does take 400ms for drag racers and they're focusing on more than one thing with more than one application. You need to compare reaction times that are actually comparable. Catching a dollar bill between your fingers and press a button on a controller would be similar applications, same with kicking a football vs kicking a board during a Kung fu demonstration.

The light thing would have no effect unless you 1.) physically can't see the screen clearly anymore, or 2.) using highly sensitive photoelectric applications.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:40:10 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Hey um, guys? We've been wondering around for a while now I'm lost. Anyone remember where the topic is?

Someday, Nintendo Age will have a thread that stays on topic for more than 3 pages.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:41:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I'd say you should know to give me more credit than that, but then again I'm quoting anecdotal evidence from drag racers with 3-4 beers in them for human reaction times.

I think it is much more likely that 100 ms "relative" intervals (i.e. 500 vs 400) may have just been the convenient tolerance of inexpensive light-control equipment when the sport was formalized.

And from the days with full-throw pedals it was probably the case that 300ms was too short for most people.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:01:27 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Thanks to both Ozzy and arch for commenting on this. There seems to be wide disagreement among experts when it comes to input lag. Hopefully between you two we will be able to reach a conclusion.

Played with an emulator called übernes, and it's got some really cool features - online scoreboard, nes database with game descriptions, etc. and it seems to not have any lag in full screen mode. Unfortunately you have to use a dumb NTSC filter, I couldn't get decent full screen otherwise. So I'll be sticking with Retroarch.

I believe at this point that Retroarch with the posted settings will result in the least possible input lag of any nes emulator running on Windows. I'm using the nestopia core, but "hard gpu sync" at 0 frames seems to do some kind of magic that results in less input lag than nestopia running by itself.

My backlog / games completed

Edited: 10/01/2014 at 03:02 PM by PatrickM.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:38:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: PatrickM.

Thanks to both Ozzy and arch for commenting on this. There seems to be wide disagreement among experts when it comes to input lag. Hopefully between you two we will be able to reach a conclusion.

To get a truly definitive answer, we would need to look at all of the ultra-tight-timing situations we can think of and bench them in an emulator that was somehow running frame-by-frame (so latency doesn't factor in, at all).

Then we could look at the actual exact frame-duration between an on-screen cue and the absolute latest that the player can successfully respond.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:15:24 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

Or using extension cables on controllers. 
I think you are a smart guy, so don't screw up your comments with obviously wrong stuff like this!

Hey man, 5 ns/m can really add up if you caccoon yourself in a series of controller extension cables!

Adding a few feet of length to a controller cable would increase the controller latency by only a few nanoseconds. Sitting a few feet farther back from the TV would also create a few nanoseconds of lag because the signals travel at the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles/sec, or 297,000 km/sec. So if you want a few precious extra nanoseconds of display lag, keep all cable leads as short as possible and scoot up really close to the TV. In practice, make the leads as long as you want because those all extra nanoseconds are statisically insignificant.

Display lags are measured in the tens of milliseconds. For the record, 10ms is ten million ns. So yes, maybe ten million controller extension cables would provide a percievable difference in input lag. But your controller would have long ceased to function due to the resistance and impedance of the copper conductors causing massive signal degradation.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 10/01/2014 at 04:18 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:23:54 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas
I think I'm going to go ahead and get this:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/ind...

It's not as expensive as I thought it would be and should give a definitive answer to the lag question. At least the question of how much lag I'm actually experiencing using an emulator on an LED HDTV.

Edited: 10/01/2014 at 04:25 PM by PatrickM.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:46:27 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
^^ A bit late to the party, don't you think?

We're getting into the one frame bs again aren't we? Buy http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_in... and stop wondering. Then turn around and sell the tester on ebay, or keep it for when you shop for your next tv. Then you know if you should blame your TV or something else.

It's not BS....

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:46:47 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
That is only going to show the processing and pixel response time of the TV, so it will miss huge parts of the chain from controller/emulator/os/graphics card. Definitely well designed for what it does but you won't be able to compare anything besides brand/model of TVs.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:50:09 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

I think you are a smart guy, so don't screw up your comments with obviously wrong stuff like this!

Hey man, 5 ns/m can really add up if you caccoon yourself in a series of controller extension cables!

Adding a few feet of length to a controller cable would increase the controller latency by only a few nanoseconds. Sitting a few feet farther back from the TV would also create a few nanoseconds of lag because the signals travel at the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles/sec, or 297,000 km/sec. So if you want a few precious extra nanoseconds of display lag, keep all cable leads as short as possible and scoot up really close to the TV. In practice, make the leads as long as you want because those all extra nanoseconds are statisically insignificant.

Display lags are measured in the tens of milliseconds. For the record, 10ms is ten million ns. So yes, maybe ten million controller extension cables would provide a percievable difference in input lag. But your controller would have long ceased to function due to the resistance and impedance of the copper conductors causing massive signal degradation.
I think you missed a couple layers of sarcasm and facetiousness.

5 ns/m is the propagation delay for CAT5E cable.  That is 5 billionths of a second per meter of cable, roughtly 3 million times smaller than a single frame.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:52:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

That is only going to show the processing and pixel response time of the TV, so it will miss huge parts of the chain from controller/emulator/os/graphics card. Definitely well designed for what it does but you won't be able to compare anything besides brand/model of TVs.

Agreed.

Didn't your testing involve a special ROM and a high speed camera?

That setup would let you test emulators.  Did you ever get to try it on a Retron5?

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:53:47 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

So is there any way to test the total latency that doesn't involve spending hundreds of dollars?

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:03:11 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
High speed camera + controller with LED, tested on Balloon Fight: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/... Has it really been that long since I did more tests?

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:34:47 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

5 ns/m is the propagation delay for CAT5E cable.  That is 5 billionths of a second per meter of cable, roughtly 3 million times smaller than a single frame.

He also missed the post where I pointed out once before this is sarcastic.  We now must point and laugh at him.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:44:08 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

He also missed the post where I pointed out once before this is sarcastic.  We now must point and laugh at him.
Just stop it guys. I was illustrating a point that adding lenth to a controller cable is moot, unless those lengths are astronomical. As usual, I took way to many words to explain myself.

Ignoring signal loss and degradation, the controller would fail once the propagation delay reaches a couple microseconds (I forget the exact period of the clock signal), mainly due to the fact the controller I/O signals need to be synced with the console and the signals are sent at a very rapid rate. I forget off the top of my head but I did an experiment with NES and SNES Retrobit extention cables daidychained together. Both the NES and SNES controllers stopped working after about seven extensions. 6 feet x 7 extensions + 8 foot controller cord = 50 feet. Go much beyond this length and the NES/SNES controllers quit working on original hardware.

Retrobit knows this as they advertise you can join up to six cables together. Add a seventh extension and the controller mysteriously quits reading.

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:58:02 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas
The first gsync enabled monitors are now available, although they are really expensive - $1,200 at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-I...

These displays have NO INPUT LAG.

We are on the verge of having an hdtv technology that can replace CRTs.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:29:43 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

The first gsync enabled monitors are now available, although they are really expensive - $1,200 at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/...

Display Port only? NO DVI/HDMI? So this will not work with the HDMI NES?

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 02:31 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:59:32 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

Can't you get an adapter dongle?

Better to wait a few years anyway. I just think it's exciting that they're now putting gsync in monitors. Input lag will soon be a thing of the past. One less barrier to near-perfect console experience via emulation.

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 04:00 AM by PatrickM.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:37:19 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Can't you get an adapter dongle?

Better to wait a few years anyway. I just think it's exciting that they're now putting gsync in monitors. Input lag will soon be a thing of the past. One less barrier to near-perfect console experience via emulation.
But CRTs always had zero latency with analog signal, and HD over VGA. Maybe the digital revolution had to take a huge step backwards before it could catch up to analog standards?

Pipe dream I know, but:

IF they release a G-sync monitor that works with legacy analog inputs like Composite, S-Video, RBG, Component, and VGA, then it could translate the signal using an analog-to-digital converter for true realtime lagless display. Better yet, since the G-sync monitor could theoretically operate at any clock rate, consoles with wierd or non-standard NTSC timing would be no problem. I doubt it but it may even be possible for them to work with a modified zapper. We just need to rethink the way the display drivers operate.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:48:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Or a person could spend 10x less and play the real hardware on a CRT....