Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

US NES Earthbound Prototype Discovered!

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:34:50 PM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
It looks like this cart has hit eBay. It doesn't have any bidders yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142440060...

-------------------------

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:51:57 PM
Sith (0)

( Bone-Christian) < Cherub >
Oregon
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Originally posted by: TheRedEye

Out of curiosity, what kind of provenance would people want from this, other than the story in the video? Would provenance require like a signed document from this former employee and proof of her former employment?
I'm only suspicious because of the story seemingly having a contradiction (sellers who simultaneously know what they have and don't know what they have). Still possible, but gives me pause.

Even if 100% true, chances are low that it would have unique code that's more different than someone poking around with a hex editor could produce... but something like that would definitely lend provenance.

I thought the sellers knew she worked for Nintendo, not that they possessed some rare and valuable proto item.

That's exactly what sounds fishy. If they allege that this "Barbara" person worked for Nintendo and they remember enough details about the cartridge to recall then they had to know that it was special before unwittingly selling it for cheap.

Not saying it's made up, but it's so easy to claim/make up that it doesn't help conclude anything unless more of the details can be substantiated. It still sounds plausible even if there is a small reason to doubt. Can we fully ID or talk to this "Barbara" person?

I don't think her team would have been tasked with acquiring the distribution rights to Earthbound since it was already essentially 1st/2nd party, but she probably had multiple roles there and that alone wouldn't cast doubt.

Earthbound protos have been found in that area similarly in the past, which both lends credibility and suspicion, especially since it is so easy to fake with a $200 prototype board.

Edit: Oops, mobile sucks.  

TO CLARIFY: 

I'm J. Bone-Christian, the director of Mother to Earth (a documentary about Mother's history reaching America). Zeldaboy or Ferris Bueller can confirm that I've been working on this project for a while, if anyone has any doubts.

Old thread, but it's important to note that all the information about "Barbara" was documented by me and told to Jacob secondhand. I tracked the yard sale on foot (asking around at the has station it was near, and interviewing the seller), and in the interview I learned that Barbara was the *AUNT* of the seller.

Jacob has admittedly botched a bit of this information (including the name of my documentary, yikes), but I can assure that Barbara was NOT the seller. The seller had no idea what she had, as she actually is not a gamer herself.

Additionally, the ROM has been dumped and compared to multiple versions, and I am under the assumption that it is *final version.* It matches with the version of Roo's and one other prototype (currently in the hands of Clyde Mandelin), neither of which are available online.

I've outlined some of this information in a video about it here:

Hope that clears stuff up. Figured it was necessary, especially if it's up for sale.

Edited: 07/09/2017 at 07:18 PM by Sith

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:26:37 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Thank you. Having to find the yardsale yourself as a trusted 3rd party lends a lot of additional credibility and I hope the price reflects that.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:01:56 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Sith

TO CLARIFY: 

I'm J. Bone-Christian, the director of Mother to Earth (a documentary about Mother's history reaching America). Zeldaboy or Ferris Bueller can confirm that I've been working on this project for a while, if anyone has any doubts.

Old thread, but it's important to note that all the information about "Barbara" was documented by me and told to Jacob secondhand. I tracked the yard sale on foot (asking around at the has station it was near, and interviewing the seller), and in the interview I learned that Barbara was the *AUNT* of the seller.

Jacob has admittedly botched a bit of this information (including the name of my documentary, yikes), but I can assure that Barbara was NOT the seller. The seller had no idea what she had, as she actually is not a gamer herself.

Additionally, the ROM has been dumped and compared to multiple versions, and I am under the assumption that it is *final version.* It matches with the version of Roo's and one other prototype (currently in the hands of Clyde Mandelin), neither of which are available online.

I've outlined some of this information in a video about it here:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X7C..." width="500">>

Hope that clears stuff up. Figured it was necessary, especially if it's up for sale.

I didn't speak up because I did not know how much of the information about the cart we were keeping for the doc versus going public. But yes, Josh is legit, one of the leading authorities on this game and it's protos, and has seen I think every one in person. Shoot, we interviewed people from NoA back in the day, including the guy who localized it, and they said Josh knows his stuff.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:00:04 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
Wow, it's up to $4,600. Way higher than I would have thought, but what do I know? Congrats seller, I hope you aren't getting troll bids!

Shows what some good marketing can do.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:50:09 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Why do so many insist that the version online is final if the final version hasn't been released online? What version is Nintendo using on the Virtual Console? Is it less than final or modified further?

Edit: Confirmed that the ROM Nintendo is using in the Virtual Console is 1:1 identical with the public prototype dump. Unless Nintendo downloaded it online (as some baselessly assume), I believe that makes it the "final" version. This "other protos are different and have unreleased data" thing is just outta left field. I hope it isn't another case of people assuming a freshly-dumped ROM with a different header or more/less padding contains different code.

Edited: 07/15/2017 at 08:10 PM by CZroe

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:08:05 PM
Sith (0)

Oregon
Actually, believe it or not, I talked with Phil Sandhop in an interview (once a few years ago and another time last October) and he flat out said in *both* interactions that Earthbound Zero is NOT the final version. The prototype sent out to NoCL was a build or two before the final, so that if it leaked (which it did) they'd know where the leak was.

That said, the differences between that and the Wii U version are unnoticeable- There are still changes to the base code, though, and that's why the cross-comparing has led me to believe this version was FINAL final.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:49:45 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
$8,300!

Congrats to the seller.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:24:33 AM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
It was immediately relisted with a huge BIN. Must have been a fake bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NES-...

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:41:54 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Actually, believe it or not, I talked with Phil Sandhop in an interview (once a few years ago and another time last October) and he flat out said in *both* interactions that Earthbound Zero is NOT the final version. The prototype sent out to NoCL was a build or two before the final, so that if it leaked (which it did) they'd know where the leak was.

That said, the differences between that and the Wii U version are unnoticeable- There are still changes to the base code, though, and that's why the cross-comparing has led me to believe this version was FINAL final.
Interesting.

Just to be clear, he-and now we, aren't actually talking about the Earth Bound Zero ROM, right? That was Demiforce modifying it to make it NESticle compatible. They didn't correct the CRC, so a second hack of Earth Bound Zero also exists with the "Zero" changed to a blue color. The actual prototype ROM does not say "Zero," since Demoforce added that.

If NoA made changes that NCL didn't have for the VC release then, yes, that would be very useful for verifying the prototype. No one had ever heard that before though. The assumption was that the leaked one was also an NoA final. The news that it wasn't is news all it's own! I'm very interested in how that was verified. Was the ROM split and was overdumping/underdumping accounted for when comparing to the public ROMs CHR/PRG?

Edited: 07/16/2017 at 10:10 AM by CZroe

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:58:41 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas

Interesting.

Just to be clear, you're not talking about the Earth Bound Zero hack? That was Demiforce modifying it to make it NESticle compatible. They didn't correct the CRC, so a second hack of Earth Bound Zero also exists with the "Zero" changed to a blue color. The actual prototype ROM does not say "Zero," since Demoforce added that.

He is not. We also interviewed Demi earlier this year. But I'll let Josh do the talking, because again, he's the expert and I don't know what we're keeping public/private for the documentary (Mother to Earth).

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:56:34 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: snescentral

It was immediately relisted with a huge BIN. Must have been a fake bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NES-...

Knew that would happen after it got past 5k. Oh well, hope he sells it. 

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:12:30 PM
Sith (0)

Oregon
Yup, the top bidders who sniped in at the end were just boosting bids. :/ He's looking for a Best Offer now, hence his listing price.

I'm not his mom, so we'll see how it goes- I just hope he gets something out of it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:38:08 AM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
I didn't notice, did anyone address the lack of silkscreen on the pcb? Seems a bit unusual (compared to pretty much every other tkeprom board pic on the net)

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:01:23 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
Looks like yet another buyer fell through. He's trying another auction, good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11251274...;

Edited: 08/06/2017 at 06:02 PM by ExplodedHamster

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:08:29 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Different seller trying to scam or is he just selling under a different ID? *confused*

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:55:53 PM
Jacob4546 (0)

< Cherub >
I just searched earthbound prototype on ebay and found an auction thats using my pics and description, clearly a fraud. I reported him and sent them a message asking them to stop being a piece of shit and do something with their life.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:10:05 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Reported as well. Amazes me what people do...yeesh.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:28:13 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
Ah ok! Using the same story too.

Prick.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:16:29 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Jacob4546

I just searched earthbound prototype on ebay and found an auction thats using my pics and description, clearly a fraud. I reported him and sent them a message asking them to stop being a piece of shit and do something with their life.
Damn, was wondering about that thinking it was a friend of yours reselling it or something. Thanks for posting and letting us know!

Well looks like it is removed.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Edited: 08/07/2017 at 01:18 PM by Skorp

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:17:39 PM
unseenforce (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Wow what a fkn dirtbag

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:18:55 PM
Stevesesy (21)
(Evan Butler) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Those Earthbound fans are freaking weirdos. Anyways, I know who bought the BIN, it is a Japanese collector named Koala.

>> http://blog.pricecharting.com/... <<

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:20:29 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Scam Sent!!!