Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Cannon Fodder for GBC Ver 0.45.3 dump I dumped the rom and there ar some differences somewhere

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:25:07 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Hey all, 
My GB cart flasher/dumper came in today and I was stoked to dump my prerelease copy of Cannon Fodder for gameboy color. I managed to dump the rom (I think its 4mb from what I understand and it works in visualboy advance) but I would like to compare it to the original rom so I can see if it is the same as the retail version. How do I do that? I posted a link to it with the comparision documents. There are two versions, one that was generated in ubuntu and is in the uint8 format (which is not liked by windows) and a Microsoft word converted that works in windows. There are 1610 lines out of 262147 of hexidecimal are actually different so it is slightly different than the retail version, not sure by how much necessarily, but here it is. Sorry it took so long to dump it, I hadn't been able to buy a reliable tool until now (checkout the GB Cart Flasher by the way, its pretty good quality). I'm not even sure if it was previously dumped, but whatever here it is anyway. I bought this thing off of ebay from steem69 (I think steven78 on Nintendoage) and it made it here alright and fairly quickly. I hope that these files can be accessed as it is through my google drive... The dump can be found on hiddenpalace.org as someone uploaded it there without me knowing, which works out just fine cause I can take it off my drive.

Hidden Palace Link: http://hiddenpalace.org/Cannon_Fo...)

-------------------------
Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 10:56 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:50:44 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Know how to use command line?

Put them both in the same folder on a Windows computer.

Open command prompt.

cd [path-to-the-files]

fc /b file1.rom file2.rom

If they're the same, the "FC" (file compare) command will output "no differences encountered."

I don't know if GBC ROMs have a header. Might need to use some kind of tool to strip the header and then compare those files.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:41:50 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I guess there are some differences, one in the header (I assume the first few or so lines of hexadecimal), it also seems that the fd thing suggested printed a bunch of stuff. I'm not sure about this, but there is a lot of writting that is showing up. I saw some in spanish and some in german. I assume that they used a different way to print the text to the screen during the missions. I think I'm going to buy a retail copy so I can get a clean rom dump to compare to that. I'll get back to you all if I find anything neat. I attached a screenshot of what I am talking about. I didn't really find a lot of this in the retail one I got online, but I found quite a bit in the prerelease copy.

-------------------------
Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome