Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Monthly Contest: May - Super Empire Strikes Back & Paperboy 2 (CLOSED) Winners - Andy_Bogomil & xtremegamer

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58:43 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Here is my submission. Didnt get as much time on the games as I wanted.  I got to Snowspeeder II level of empire. Lost all three continues on it. I was about 10 feet from beating that level several times. Its just impossilbe to hit everything and avoid taking damage. The snowspeeder is just too damn big. I roped all the ATAT but cant beat what should be a simple level lol.  I just suck at paperboy 2 though. Got to day 3 lol. Had a perfect day 1 though  

That snow speeder level is a piece of shit. Regardless of how many times I played it, it pretty much seemed like dumb luck beating it. Staying down in the bottom right corner when the troopers come in and then going back to the left to kill them after they shift was my only strat. Even then it was pretty much luck how they moved. I couldn't imagine this game on Jedi. 

Nice PaPerboy scores there dudes. Wish I had more time to play that one. 

-------------------------
Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:53:11 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Here is my submission. Didnt get as much time on the games as I wanted.  I got to Snowspeeder II level of empire. Lost all three continues on it. I was about 10 feet from beating that level several times. Its just impossilbe to hit everything and avoid taking damage. The snowspeeder is just too damn big. I roped all the ATAT but cant beat what should be a simple level lol.  I just suck at paperboy 2 though. Got to day 3 lol. Had a perfect day 1 though  

That snow speeder level is a piece of shit. Regardless of how many times I played it, it pretty much seemed like dumb luck beating it. Staying down in the bottom right corner when the troopers come in and then going back to the left to kill them after they shift was my only strat. Even then it was pretty much luck how they moved. I couldn't imagine this game on Jedi. 

Nice PaPerboy scores there dudes. Wish I had more time to play that one. 

It seemed like it should be easy. Especially after i roped all the atats. The level i died on shouldnt exist lol

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:28:03 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Scoreboard updated. I'll update the leaderboard later today

Participation wasn't too hot this month, but I'll chalk it up to the titles.  I had scheduled Star Wars and Indy games as an annual May thing, but I might have to re-think that

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 06/02/2016 at 11:28 AM by Brock Landers

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:27:54 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Games were fine. If there was more participation id have started earlier to get good. I put minimal effort in paperboy. Played it a couple times. Could have probably gotten way better. Played empire 3-4 times in different sittings. Empire is just so damn tough probably scared some people away. Still though i thiught progress would get more to try.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:58:00 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Yeah, an Empire low point run on easy would have been better because the game is A LOT more forgiving on that setting. I think most people would have been able to get through the game at that point making the points actually come into play.

I think the length and type of game really comes into play with participation as well. Games like Smash TV, Mario Kart, and even Paper Boy you can pick up and play where Star Wars I really needed to dedicate time to it. I'll be interested to see games like Super Metroid as it is also quite long to play more than a few times within the month.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:32:36 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Yeah, an Empire low point run on easy would have been better because the game is A LOT more forgiving on that setting. I think most people would have been able to get through the game at that point making the points actually come into play.

I think the length and type of game really comes into play with participation as well. Games like Smash TV, Mario Kart, and even Paper Boy you can pick up and play where Star Wars I really needed to dedicate time to it. I'll be interested to see games like Super Metroid as it is also quite long to play more than a few times within the month.

ive never attempted the game on the hardest setting. Default is already so incredibly brutal. How the hell can they even make it tougher? Do the enemies damage you more? Are the bosses made to take more hits?

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:37:56 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

ive never attempted the game on the hardest setting. Default is already so incredibly brutal. How the hell can they even make it tougher? Do the enemies damage you more? Are the bosses made to take more hits?

Yep, I think things take a little more damage, bosses take more hits, and the hearts vanish quicker. When you have to destroy the AT-STs the hearts vanish almost instantly. I don't know how you could beat some of those levels on Jedi. Something I wouldn't even want to try. Brave was bad enough.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:27:03 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Leaderboards updated. Congrats to Andy and xtremegamer on winning this month

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:50:55 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Oops, missed Bimmy's score (again, sorry Bimmy)

I may have to recruit a helper next season

Edited: 06/03/2016 at 11:51 AM by Brock Landers