Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WATA Certified game breaks 6 figures Earliest known sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150!

Feb 14 at 8:34:33 PM
jedisam2013 (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I hope nintendoage will get some money from the clickbaits  

Feb 14 at 8:40:38 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Nice!

I always seen Sticker sealed SMB as a 6-figure and worth we'll over Stadium Events.

I can't wait to see uninformed collectors shouting from the rooftops saying that it's "the cheapest most common game" tomorrow.

Also: Yeah its an investment piece, big deal how many people have their hands on it. If $100k turns into $5-10m on Mario’s 50th anniversary (2031, or 2035...you guys pick) then I’d say it’s a worthy investment even at 100% interest.

I guess p.s. 7-8 figure sealed Mario in 2031-2035...maybe we’ll see a true first print by then.

-------------------------

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 02/14/2019 at 10:14 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 14 at 8:42:02 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Well, keep in mind that at least another party felt it was worth at least $100k, because the got the winners to bump it to their final bid. Bid history would be a neat thing to see.

Anyway, if we want to see this market "heat up" just convince your typical Chinese investor that "video games are the next form of collectible art." In 10 years, you won't find a cart-only game less than $100 because the uber rich of China have nothing better to do with their money other than pump up "investment markets" well beyond their actual value and worth.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 02/14/2019 at 08:42 PM by rlh

Feb 14 at 8:44:21 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

Nice!

I always seen Sticker sealed SMB as a 6-figure and worth we'll over Stadium Events.

I can't wait to see uninformed collectors shouting from the rooftops saying that it's "the cheapest most common game" tomorrow.
I agree.  It’s going to be great.  Alas, the fun will come  crashing down when clickbait articles reference this sale but use a stock photo of SMB + Duck Hunt cart that’s as common as dirt.

Feb 14 at 8:50:54 PM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida
Awesome news! Happy for all parties involved

Feb 14 at 8:56:43 PM
ADD EM (1)
< Little Mac >
Jone didn’t learn how to share in 1st grade....

Feb 14 at 8:57:45 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
You guys need to play it cool. I smell a banhammer warming up and I like all of you guys.

Feb 14 at 8:59:45 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ADD EM

Jone didn’t learn how to share in 1st grade....

We get it, that's enough.

Feb 14 at 9:03:14 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: rlh

Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

Nice!

I agree.  It’s going to be great.  Alas, the fun will come  crashing down when clickbait articles reference this sale but use a stock photo of SMB + Duck Hunt cart that’s as common as dirt.

Every game store I’ve been too in the past year has been crying for new business and complaining that NES and SNES don’t show up anymore in store. For the good of the hobby we need some blood in the water. Genesis still will never sell more than the 20 best games or so though....

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 14 at 9:08:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: rlh

Well, keep in mind that at least another party felt it was worth at least $100k, because the got the winners to bump it to their final bid. Bid history would be a neat thing to see.

From what I gather this was a private sale that is being reported on the heritage auction website, it wasn't the result of an actual auction.

Feb 14 at 9:17:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I don't see why the number of purchasers matters either but for the record I turned down a higher offer from a single collector. Had to turn it down because the group had first right. The single collector is not fucking happy about it either.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 14 at 9:20:32 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Just realized, Zac Gieg is the guy I bought (traded for anyway) my former Stadium Events copy. Dude literally has three or four sealed Magical Chases, a Set and a half of every AES game, and multiple CIB and loose Stadium Events including the 5-screw copy with Manual that showed up here in NJ a few years back.

Totally makes sense that something like that would end up in his hands. I literally have no doubt that his collection is light years ahead of even DreamTR's, and The Last Gamers....combined twice over.

Feb 14 at 9:28:27 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Just wanted to say that the negative sentiment in this thread is really disappointing. There's really no reason to down talk anyone for what they choose to spend their money on. Every single person here is guilty of making irrational purchases, and frankly I don't really think this is one of those situations.

A incredibly huge congratulations to this trio for what will probably become one of the most legendary copies of all time.

if there is any disappointment at all anywhere in me it's only because I was not asked to be part of it =)

Props to these collectors for making this a transparent purchase. Market Discovery is incredibly important and transparency is also important when dealing with entities that are engaging in business activity related to this purchase. Kudos all around for good ethics and open reporting.

THPS sucks

Feb 14 at 9:35:51 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Thats pretty wild.

Feb 14 at 9:37:19 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

I don't see why the number of purchasers matters either but for the record I turned down a higher offer from a single collector. Had to turn it down because the group had first right. The single collector is not fucking happy about it either.

Got your eye on anything with the $$$?

Feb 14 at 9:40:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
A couple of small purchases. But mainly this is to pay the tax on the other stuff I sold in January so that I can use the other proceeds to pay off the house.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 14 at 10:52:31 PM
LaC (96)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
I don't understand the whole 3 people bought it and are using it as an investment. Can someone explain it to me? Are they planning on selling it again later? Is it a way to advertise or something like that?
Why is one of the people who bought it the founder of Heritage?
This is not your typical transaction and hoping someone can clarify.
I am going off this article...
https://www.geek.com/culture/seal...

Perhaps its shoddy reporting.

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Feb 14 at 11:34:16 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Well, sounds like they already have a single collector they can sell it to for more.

Feb 15 at 12:49:49 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
IOriginally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Rareusgold

Originally posted by: jonebone

But it took 3 buyers to go in on it? Not a fan of that. Obviously being bought as an investment in that case, who even gets to display it? A real collector doesn't need someone else holding their hand to make a purchase.

I guess I'm not a collector. And I guess you never paid more than MSRP for a video game. Because if you did. Than your an investor. And just like any collector I have to think of every purchase as an investment. And if you don't sell me every game you own at your cost! 

And I don't know who anointed you as the "Collector" Police that defines who or what a collector is! I can say unequivocally that everyone involved is the true definition of a collectors! We are just on a different level than you. And it sounds like your just a little (Maybe a lot) jealous!

So if you want to call me a non collector. What does that make you? My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I'm not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

Im not a real collector, I'm a business man and I'm not ashamed of it. I'll sell just about anything when the price is right, because then I can get even more games! Im also successful enough to buy my games cash, not on credit, and I dont need to beg a bunch of investors to go in with me. If that offends you too bad. You want to buy things publicly then you get to hear public comments on the sale. Maybe get some thicker skin if a public criticism bothers you that bad.

That’s really not necessary or fair Jone.  I know Rich could have bought this all by himself just fine.   The fact that he included other people shouldn’t be some kind of basis for judgement ?   We don’t know peoples situations and motivations and so on.   

Feb 15 at 1:16:19 AM
Rareusgold (3)

< Tourian Tourist >
United States
Anyone that knows me know I could purchase any video game by myself. I like to share my passion and joy of collecting with my friends. And this was the perfect opportunity to own what I consider the most important video game in history with my friends. Isn't that really why we enjoy this hobby for the friends we make. And I thought this was a perfect opportunity to share a once in a lifetime opportunity with my friends. I also own 1 and 1/2 Grey World Champ Carts. And 1/2 of a complete in the box Halcyon! And part of Amazon and Facebook! What's wrong with that? And I hope some day all of them are worth more money! But if they are not I am happy to own them enough to justify the price I paid!

Feb 15 at 1:16:32 AM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Pop culture is collectible. That's how it is. Some people chasing nostalgia, others investing, whatever the reason I don't see these things losing value. All that said, I still purchase games to play them  
Congrats to whomever purchased this game, I hope they enjoy it...

Feb 15 at 2:43:56 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Congrats Dan. You debt-free mother f'er you!

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Feb 15 at 9:11:55 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
thanks Brock.

Feb 15 at 9:50:29 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Congrats on the sale Dan.

And wow... what a hilarious pissing contest in this thread.

Breaking 6-figures for a single item is a really cool milestone, who cares how many buyers were involved in the transaction.

EDIT:  also, quite incredibly, the media reporting on the auction actually seems to put forth the effort to describe what makes this item special.

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 09:57 AM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15 at 10:31:10 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Rareusgold

My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I’m not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

This is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever read on Nintendo Age. How childish. "My collection is much more substantial than yours." God, give me a break. Collectors in here sounding like they are on the grade school playground. Unreal.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom