Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda: Ocarina of Time First time getting into it, some 13 years after its release?

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:39:21 AM
dejeckt (7)
(Jack Bower) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
All i can say...is never try to get into speed running with zelda OoT...it will drive you insane. I think that game with Super Mario 64 set the basics for all 3d adventure related games, so its a must play in my books.

-------------------------

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:31:18 AM
Richard (19)
(Richard ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Richard

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Richard

Originally posted by: Penguin

For some reason i've never been able to get into the 3d Zelda's, maybe it's because I always played the 8 bit ones on the NES and Gameboy. I've played Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess but I haven't beaten either of them.

Sprite superiority syndrome. If it doesn't have a humongous head and/or 8 colors it isn't good. Sadly quite a few people suffer from this syndrome. 

Haha...you could say the same thing about people who have a blanket preference for 3D polygons
Though, I think it's unfortunate that you're so dismissive of some people's preference for sprite-based graphics.

I see where Penguin is coming from on this, and to me, it's more of an issue that it was so much easier for the developers to make the play control rock-solid in sprite-based games.  No need to control camera views, the control frame of reference is always the same, level mapping is straightforward and practical, etc.

Heh, I will always be in the middle on this issue. I am 19 and my gaming generation was the ps1/n64/gameboy color era. I dislike both sides. I respect sprites and I respect modern era stuff. I think people who completely bash on the new era are dumb and vice versa. 

I absolutely love legend of zelda(obviously) and I can honestly say as someone who is a huge fan of the series that if you think the original legend of zelda is the most fun/best one(nostalgia aside) you are bsing. If you grew up during the time of its release or around there, then if you think the original is the best then more power to you because you got to experience one of the best games of all time when it was revolutionary and amazing. It is extremely hard for someone to go back and play the original LoZ after playing any of the others except Zelda 2.

Like I said, the original legend of zelda is one of the best games of all time I just don't like it when it other iterations or shunned because they are all better games than the original legend of zelda without question, time considerations NOT considered(2 and cdi games not included). Without the original though the world would be an extremely sad place.

Plus the original came out in 1987 in the US right? That was 23 years ago. Even if you are 30 right now that would have made you 7 when that game came out lol. So all the people my age acting like that game is part of their gaming generation is full of it(not talking about anyone in particular just making a broad statement)

Well, I was 7 when I got my NES in 1989, and Legend of Zelda was the first non-pack-in-game I had for the system (followed by Mega Man 2).

It was a great experience to play through that game and swap puzzle-solving tips and maps with my dad.  So definitely, nostalgia-wise, that game will never be unhorsed, for me at least.

I don't shun newer games, at all.  But I have absolutely no nostalgia for OoT, and having played it much later than it's original release, I have a hard time seeing what sets it apart from Twilight Princess (which I did enjoy).

True. In the end time considerations are a huge factor for 99% of games and there are a select few games that anyone can just pick up and appreciate what it just as much as someone did in the past. Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda and it is my generations Zelda, but I do agree that it isn't as head over heels better than every other game in the series as many people make it out to be. Your last statement shows how great ocarina of time is though. The fact that you don't see what separates it from twilight princess shows what an accomplishment a much older game did. 

I am actually replaying all the Zeldas in order so I can officially rank them with everything fresh in my mind. 

In the end we can discuss this for a long time, but we will almost all agree that the series is amazing. Ocarina of Time is amazing. The original was amazing. This series is one of the best gaming world has to offer if not the best. 

You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:31:29 AM
Richard (19)
(Richard ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
double post oops

You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness.

Edited: 07/07/2010 at 02:32 AM by Richard

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:58:09 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah nostalgia plays a huge part in someone's favorites for sure. Goldeneye is still my favorite game to-date, but I admit that it is inferior to virtually every current generation FPS. Graphics are blocky, AI is bad, but I still would rather play some 007 than many of the current generation games. You get nostalgia for sure... I can remember thinking "OMG this AI is AMAZING!!!" when the bad guys would actually come to your location if you shot an automatic without a silencer.

But nostalgia has no bearing in my Zelda decision, I've played them all except for handhelds and the Gamecube... I wasn't a fan of the cartoony Zelda (though ironically I'm enjoying Phantom Hourglass so far.)

I mean think about it, games are supposed to get better as technology increases. Graphics improve, that's a no-brainer. Endings/story improve, now we use cut-scenes instead of simple text. Those are objective statements, topics like gameplay / controls will be subjective based on the reviewer.

Story goes a long way IMO, that's why RPGs are cult classics. No one plays RPGs because they like bashing A repeatedly during battles, they play them for the story. All of the Zeldas have great gameplay, but add in a story like OoT and you truly have a classic.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:42:41 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Edited: 08/06/2012 at 06:49 AM by galacticlint

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:18:42 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I beat all of the Zeldas up to the Gamecube. Have Twilight Princess, but still have yet to beat it. I remember trying to gather up a bunch of heart pieces, and just finally not loading the game back up.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:55:28 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
To the OP, I hope you have the original gold cartridge. Because playing the Fire Temple with the original Muslim chanting really does add to the overall atmosphere. Not to mention you have the original red blood in Ganon's final battle.

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:17:12 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Estil

To the OP, I hope you have the original gold cartridge. Because playing the Fire Temple with the original Muslim chanting really does add to the overall atmosphere. Not to mention you have the original red blood in Ganon's final battle.

No, it's the grey one. I didn't even know there were differences between the two until this thread.. If I had a choice, I would have taken the gold version, but I digress, I didn't have that option.

| gameplay and talk |