Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Console-perfect" NES emulation It's 2014. Why is this so hard?

May 8, 2015 at 6:34:38 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: PatrickM.

Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

but that's tech that didn't exist when nes was out, that was late 90s. And that was $15,000 - $30,000 for those monitors, so the games were in no way shape or form designed to look like they do there. I don't know of many development houses that would even buy one of them for programmers to see.

So basically, you need a *shitty* CRT to play the games right, lol.

. There is no "right". WantTMNT to look the way konami expected? Play on a 1990s crt. Want it to look like it did for most of us back then? Play it on a 19x crt with rounded corners. Want it to look like the artists intended? build a supergun and don't play a port. Want it to look good? Pick an option. But there is no "correct"

There's no correct when it comes to the way the games should look, true. But there is an objective standard when it comes to what an ideal, perfect CRT would look like, because that's just a CRT without any manufacturing flaws and with no mask, so basically a Sony BVM.

As you said, "intended look" is just too subjective, so I instead go for the objective "ideal crt look," if that makes sense.

Personally, I think these games have never looked better than they do on a Plasma with pitch black scanlines applied. Line doubling is the devil's work.

240p is an invention of the 1970s when tv's were so blurry you can't see scanlines. My old console tv for example has the scan lines almost the same color. And like I've said, different arcade monitors had different levels of scan lines. My rca has no scan lines, and it's from 1990.

May 8, 2015 at 9:03:50 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

but that's tech that didn't exist when nes was out, that was late 90s. And that was $15,000 - $30,000 for those monitors, so the games were in no way shape or form designed to look like they do there. I don't know of many development houses that would even buy one of them for programmers to see.

So basically, you need a *shitty* CRT to play the games right, lol.

. There is no "right". WantTMNT to look the way konami expected? Play on a 1990s crt. Want it to look like it did for most of us back then? Play it on a 19x crt with rounded corners. Want it to look like the artists intended? build a supergun and don't play a port. Want it to look good? Pick an option. But there is no "correct"

There's no correct when it comes to the way the games should look, true. But there is an objective standard when it comes to what an ideal, perfect CRT would look like, because that's just a CRT without any manufacturing flaws and with no mask, so basically a Sony BVM.

As you said, "intended look" is just too subjective, so I instead go for the objective "ideal crt look," if that makes sense.

Personally, I think these games have never looked better than they do on a Plasma with pitch black scanlines applied. Line doubling is the devil's work.

240p is an invention of the 1970s when tv's were so blurry you can't see scanlines. My old console tv for example has the scan lines almost the same color. And like I've said, different arcade monitors had different levels of scan lines. My rca has no scan lines, and it's from 1990.

Nevertheless, there was still some kind of "filter" being applied. There was a shadow mask, and there was the blurring you got from the bad signal and flaws in the CRT. So this image was still very different from what you would see on a modern display using line doubling, which looks like a pile of vomit and makes me want to gauge my eyes out.

The graphics need some kind of filter. On a modern display, scanlines are the easiest way to do this IMO. Properly emulating an aperture grill would require higher than 1080p resolution, and you would need much more brightness than most (all?) LCDs or Plasmas are capable of. Bilinear filter, artificial blurring and line doubling are all evil.

I'm concerned with how to display these games using the technologies that are readily available. Believe it or not, it's getting increasingly hard to find pre 2000s SD CRTs in decent condition anymore, and the ones after 2000 had terrible geometry and poor quality control, and even more complicated hardware and gadgetry to get knocked around and misaligned. I found an okay Sanyo after a few months of looking on Craigslist. It's nothing special, just a standard crappy consumer CRT with minimal issues.

-------------------------
My backlog / games completed

Edited: 05/08/2015 at 09:06 PM by PatrickM.

May 8, 2015 at 10:49:01 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

Nevertheless, there was still some kind of "filter" being applied. There was a shadow mask, and there was the blurring you got from the bad signal and flaws in the CRT. So this image was still very different from what you would see on a modern display using line doubling, which looks like a pile of vomit and makes me want to gauge my eyes out. The graphics need some kind of filter. On a modern display, scanlines are the easiest way to do this IMO. Properly emulating an aperture grill would require higher than 1080p resolution, and you would need much more brightness than most (all?) LCDs or Plasmas are capable of. Bilinear filter, artificial blurring and line doubling are all evil. I'm concerned with how to display these games using the technologies that are readily available. Believe it or not, it's getting increasingly hard to find pre 2000s SD CRTs in decent condition anymore, and the ones after 2000 had terrible geometry and poor quality control, and even more complicated hardware and gadgetry to get knocked around and misaligned. I found an okay Sanyo after a few months of looking on Craigslist. It's nothing special, just a standard crappy consumer CRT with minimal issues.
Actually the RCA didn't plur.  It just didnt process the off center frame like was expected.

Why do you say the graphics need some kind of filter? I'm playing wizadry now, it's a port from a PC game.  Should it have scan lines?  It never did when it was made.  What about ports of Amiga games?  Pre ECS\AGA, add scanlines, post, make them optional?

Again, there is no right way.  I dislike lines in my graphics like soneoeme took a crayon and a ruler to them and colored them in.  I dont think games need scanlines to fix flaws. If the game looks pixelated because you're showing it on a screen much much larger then it was meant to be on, then use something like xBr on it.  People act like that's distorting the graphics from what the artists intended, but how many games out there didn't have ports that changed the graphics? 

I think 90% of the hang up people have with it is that's how it was when they grew up.  But they're selective, and don't want the static and color bleed

May 9, 2015 at 1:04:09 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

Properly emulating an aperture grill would require higher than 1080p resolution
That depends on the type of crt you are going for.  Aperture grilles would be pretty easy when you have 6-7 horiz pixels per nes pixel.  Shadow masks would be harder because the holes arent horizontally aligned and only having 5-6 vert pixels per nes pixel.  There is probably a "ClearType" way to optimize using the LCD color sub pixels.

These two look like very different types of scanlines, CV seems easy and SMB seems hard.  They might be the same screen, just SMB is much more zoomed in:
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/h...; CV
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/h...

May 9, 2015 at 1:15:46 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

Nevertheless, there was still some kind of "filter" being applied. There was a shadow mask, and there was the blurring you got from the bad signal and flaws in the CRT. So this image was still very different from what you would see on a modern display using line doubling, which looks like a pile of vomit and makes me want to gauge my eyes out. The graphics need some kind of filter. On a modern display, scanlines are the easiest way to do this IMO. Properly emulating an aperture grill would require higher than 1080p resolution, and you would need much more brightness than most (all?) LCDs or Plasmas are capable of. Bilinear filter, artificial blurring and line doubling are all evil. I'm concerned with how to display these games using the technologies that are readily available. Believe it or not, it's getting increasingly hard to find pre 2000s SD CRTs in decent condition anymore, and the ones after 2000 had terrible geometry and poor quality control, and even more complicated hardware and gadgetry to get knocked around and misaligned. I found an okay Sanyo after a few months of looking on Craigslist. It's nothing special, just a standard crappy consumer CRT with minimal issues.
Actually the RCA didn't plur. It just didnt process the off center frame like was expected.

Why do you say the graphics need some kind of filter? I'm playing wizadry now, it's a port from a PC game. Should it have scan lines? It never did when it was made. What about ports of Amiga games? Pre ECS\AGA, add scanlines, post, make them optional?

Again, there is no right way. I dislike lines in my graphics like soneoeme took a crayon and a ruler to them and colored them in. I dont think games need scanlines to fix flaws. If the game looks pixelated because you're showing it on a screen much much larger then it was meant to be on, then use something like xBr on it. People act like that's distorting the graphics from what the artists intended, but how many games out there didn't have ports that changed the graphics?

I think 90% of the hang up people have with it is that's how it was when they grew up. But they're selective, and don't want the static and color bleed

While they may be being selective, I don't think it's totally arbitrary. It can be argued that scanlines are part of the intended look and an inevitable result of upscaling 240p on TVs that do not double the lines (boo!). Color bleed and static are indeed the result of flaws in the CRT, while scanlines are the result of how the technology works- it's not the product of a design or manufacturing flaw.

Weren't most designers working with RGB monitors, which show pretty distinct scanlines?

I don't think all old PC games need scanlines because a lot of them were designed to be run at 640x480, right? I only think they're needed for 240p content, and would actually be undesirable for anything else.

I think big blocky pixels are also just inherently less aesthetic than the smoothed edges created by the effect of proper scanlines. I think there's some evidence from psychology that circles are more attractive than squares or something, so this might not be completely subjective. XBR and other stuff is too heavy handed and results in too much lost detail.

Edited: 05/09/2015 at 01:21 AM by PatrickM.

May 9, 2015 at 11:58:45 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

While they may be being selective, I don't think it's totally arbitrary. It can be argued that scanlines are part of the intended look and an inevitable result of upscaling 240p on TVs that do not double the lines (boo!). Color bleed and static are indeed the result of flaws in the CRT, while scanlines are the result of how the technology works- it's not the product of a design or manufacturing flaw. Weren't most designers working with RGB monitors, which show pretty distinct scanlines? I don't think all old PC games need scanlines because a lot of them were designed to be run at 640x480, right? I only think they're needed for 240p content, and would actually be undesirable for anything else. I think big blocky pixels are also just inherently less aesthetic than the smoothed edges created by the effect of proper scanlines. I think there's some evidence from psychology that circles are more attractive than squares or something, so this might not be completely subjective. XBR and other stuff is too heavy handed and results in too much lost detail.

Well keep in mind, there is no such thing as 240p.  Your nes and snes are *NOT* putting out a 240p 60 fps signal, it just doesn't exist.  They're putting out a 480i 30 fps signal where they're not marking the fields correctly, so every field gets drawn with the same offset. The result is taking a 240p picture, and streaching it out to be 480i, and leaving every other line blank, it's these blank lines that are called scanlines.  I'm not 100% sure where the term 240p came from, and while it's not exactly wrong, it's misleading because it's not a standard res, and doesn't work like 480p 720p or any other p-type video mode. 

Another misconception is scanlines dont show up on LCD due to a limitation of LCD tech, but that's not really the case.   They could draw every other line just as easy as a CRT, but with early ones, interlaced video (like TV) looked like crap on them, so they deinterlaced the video. All is fine and dandy except for video games, since the games were using a non-standard use of 480i, the deinterlacing caused them to become displayed as 30 fps 480p, but with only 240 lines of actual data since it's repeating half of it, hence the doubled lines. And this manditory interlacing adds lag.  You MUST have two fields to do it, so right there, no matter how fast the CPU, you have 16.7ish ms of lag waiting for the second field to show. And since processors were so slow back then when LCDs came out, and deinterlacing can be tricky depending on how you do it, you could miss 4-5 frames.  And I mean FRAMES, not FIELDS.  A nes puts out 30 FRAMES, and 60 FIELDS, but it displays the fields so they look like frames. So 5 frames is 167ms ish amount of lag.  And some used temporal smoothing, over a set amoutn of time, so that requires grabbing a few more fields, and a lot more processing.  Thats one reason why I think people bitching abotu lag is so silly.  Chances are they don't have 1 frame of lag (really one field of lag), they're dealing with a ton of lag with many older TVs.

A standard TV shows 30 frames per second.  A field is half a frame.  You have the even field that draws say scanlines 0,2,4,6, ect.  Then you have the odd field that draws 1,3,5,7 ect.  Together they're a single frame.  What the nest is doing is outputing an even frame, lines 0,2,4,6,8, followed by another even field, so 0,2,4,6,8 ect.  So it only ever draws half the lines in the picture. 

RGB monitors generally do NOT show scan lines, they accept progressive video, that the consoles did not putput.  If someone worked on a computer with an RGB monitor using a raster paint program, they would not see the scanlines in their artwork, unless they were using a lower-end amiga. They couldn't use apples for this work cause of the non-standard way apples used colors, so you had IBM, Amiga, and atari to use as dev tools.  If they were using home grown tools it's easy to simulate what it woudl look like with scan lines, but remember, many many games took advantage of CRTs limitations for special effects.  Ever play on am emulator and see a cloud that looked like a checkerboard?  On a TV from the 90s, it would look pretty smooth and transparent.  Sonic's a common example, but not even close to the first to use it:

Look at the big brown block.  The top is how it looks in an emulator, checkerboard.  Below that, I suppect someone just applied a blur filter, since there's no scanlines or shadowmask, but you get the idea.  Do you remember seeing checkerboards?  I doubt it, cause by that point they were banking on your TV bluring the crap out of it.

So anything you do to improve graphics, has a very very very real chance of HURTING other graphics. There is no way to set it up and say "This is perfect for all games".  You need to know the game, tricks used (If any), and your monitor.  Me, I HATE seeing the "overscan" areas, thoese are not meant to be there, and should not be shown.  I'd rather have too much cut off than a line of junk pixels.

May 9, 2015 at 2:53:37 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

While they may be being selective, I don't think it's totally arbitrary. It can be argued that scanlines are part of the intended look and an inevitable result of upscaling 240p on TVs that do not double the lines (boo!). Color bleed and static are indeed the result of flaws in the CRT, while scanlines are the result of how the technology works- it's not the product of a design or manufacturing flaw. Weren't most designers working with RGB monitors, which show pretty distinct scanlines? I don't think all old PC games need scanlines because a lot of them were designed to be run at 640x480, right? I only think they're needed for 240p content, and would actually be undesirable for anything else. I think big blocky pixels are also just inherently less aesthetic than the smoothed edges created by the effect of proper scanlines. I think there's some evidence from psychology that circles are more attractive than squares or something, so this might not be completely subjective. XBR and other stuff is too heavy handed and results in too much lost detail.

Well keep in mind, there is no such thing as 240p.  Your nes and snes are *NOT* putting out a 240p 60 fps signal, it just doesn't exist.  They're putting out a 480i 30 fps signal where they're not marking the fields correctly, so every field gets drawn with the same offset. The result is taking a 240p picture, and streaching it out to be 480i, and leaving every other line blank, it's these blank lines that are called scanlines.  I'm not 100% sure where the term 240p came from, and while it's not exactly wrong, it's misleading because it's not a standard res, and doesn't work like 480p 720p or any other p-type video mode. 

Another misconception is scanlines dont show up on LCD due to a limitation of LCD tech, but that's not really the case.   They could draw every other line just as easy as a CRT, but with early ones, interlaced video (like TV) looked like crap on them, so they deinterlaced the video. All is fine and dandy except for video games, since the games were using a non-standard use of 480i, the deinterlacing caused them to become displayed as 30 fps 480p, but with only 240 lines of actual data since it's repeating half of it, hence the doubled lines. And this manditory interlacing adds lag.  You MUST have two fields to do it, so right there, no matter how fast the CPU, you have 16.7ish ms of lag waiting for the second field to show. And since processors were so slow back then when LCDs came out, and deinterlacing can be tricky depending on how you do it, you could miss 4-5 frames.  And I mean FRAMES, not FIELDS.  A nes puts out 30 FRAMES, and 60 FIELDS, but it displays the fields so they look like frames. So 5 frames is 167ms ish amount of lag.  And some used temporal smoothing, over a set amoutn of time, so that requires grabbing a few more fields, and a lot more processing.  Thats one reason why I think people bitching abotu lag is so silly.  Chances are they don't have 1 frame of lag (really one field of lag), they're dealing with a ton of lag with many older TVs.

A standard TV shows 30 frames per second.  A field is half a frame.  You have the even field that draws say scanlines 0,2,4,6, ect.  Then you have the odd field that draws 1,3,5,7 ect.  Together they're a single frame.  What the nest is doing is outputing an even frame, lines 0,2,4,6,8, followed by another even field, so 0,2,4,6,8 ect.  So it only ever draws half the lines in the picture. 

RGB monitors generally do NOT show scan lines, they accept progressive video, that the consoles did not putput.  If someone worked on a computer with an RGB monitor using a raster paint program, they would not see the scanlines in their artwork, unless they were using a lower-end amiga. They couldn't use apples for this work cause of the non-standard way apples used colors, so you had IBM, Amiga, and atari to use as dev tools.  If they were using home grown tools it's easy to simulate what it woudl look like with scan lines, but remember, many many games took advantage of CRTs limitations for special effects.  Ever play on am emulator and see a cloud that looked like a checkerboard?  On a TV from the 90s, it would look pretty smooth and transparent.  Sonic's a common example, but not even close to the first to use it:

Look at the big brown block.  The top is how it looks in an emulator, checkerboard.  Below that, I suppect someone just applied a blur filter, since there's no scanlines or shadowmask, but you get the idea.  Do you remember seeing checkerboards?  I doubt it, cause by that point they were banking on your TV bluring the crap out of it.

So anything you do to improve graphics, has a very very very real chance of HURTING other graphics. There is no way to set it up and say "This is perfect for all games".  You need to know the game, tricks used (If any), and your monitor.  Me, I HATE seeing the "overscan" areas, thoese are not meant to be there, and should not be shown.  I'd rather have too much cut off than a line of junk pixels.

That was informative.

The problem is that replicated blur, color bleed, static etc on an LCD is always going to look fake to me, and it's a huge distraction. Fake blur will always look like fake blur. That's why I just go for the scanlines. I'm talking about *true* scanlines which blank every other line, since fuzzy/light scanlines were the product of CRT flaws, and trying to make scanlines look fuzzy/light on an LCD just makes the scanlines look fake to me. Basically, trying to replicate anything but scanlines looks fake to me, and even the scanlines could look fake if they aren't done right.

The fact that different artists used different tricks is one reason why it's futile to try to emulate all the flaws in a CRT. You might make some games look better but others would look worse. It almost justifies a per-game configuration, which is getting ridiculous.

Edited: 05/09/2015 at 02:57 PM by PatrickM.

May 15, 2015 at 2:23:00 PM
Kyle_Blackthorne (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
Geez guys......

Quit going insane from all the drama of trying to "perfectly" (barf) emulate these games, and go to your nearest thrift shop and pick up a freakin' CRT. Oh, and buy your games legitimately. All of this constant drama of you guys tweaking your emulator settings and/or scaler settings could easily be avoided simply by playing these games on their intended displays. I wonder if some people spend more time worrying/tweaking than they do actually playing the games they own/don't own.

P.S. There were plenty of curved CRT's made in the 2000's and up. Not as many as the flat ones, but enough so that you can find one with good geometry. Make sure the picture comes up within 30 seconds of being powered on, and load up a crosshatch pattern on it to check for geometry. And if you wish, load up a game on it to check for scanline sharpness. Then take it home, and feel the bliss of playing these games as intended, and also feel the load drop off your shoulders (ie; the load of constantly trying to tweak your display settings in a OCD fashion).

What happens when we die?

www.truthaboutdeath.com

Edited: 05/15/2015 at 02:26 PM by Kyle_Blackthorne

May 15, 2015 at 2:53:05 PM
Geoff (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
England
Just reading back...you mentioned FFIII. Here it is. I think that lools pretty damn good.

May 15, 2015 at 4:08:49 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Kyle_Blackthorne

Geez guys......

Quit going insane from all the drama of trying to "perfectly" (barf) emulate these games, and go to your nearest thrift shop and pick up a freakin' CRT. Oh, and buy your games legitimately. All of this constant drama of you guys tweaking your emulator settings and/or scaler settings could easily be avoided simply by playing these games on their intended displays. I wonder if some people spend more time worrying/tweaking than they do actually playing the games they own/don't own.

P.S. There were plenty of curved CRT's made in the 2000's and up. Not as many as the flat ones, but enough so that you can find one with good geometry. Make sure the picture comes up within 30 seconds of being powered on, and load up a crosshatch pattern on it to check for geometry. And if you wish, load up a game on it to check for scanline sharpness. Then take it home, and feel the bliss of playing these games as intended, and also feel the load drop off your shoulders (ie; the load of constantly trying to tweak your display settings in a OCD fashion).
If that thread's too hard for you to follow, don't post in it.  If you did, you would have seen most of us talking not only have large collections of games (Seeing how this is mostly a collecting forum...), plus CRTs.   You would have seen my setup, an LCD projection sitting next to a 33" CRT.

And learn what drama is.  Cause this isn't it till you butted in.  This is just a conversation that you've obvously didn't read all of.

I mean honestly, " Oh, and buy your games legitimately".  You just think of emulators as ways to steal games, and want to try to bash people who use them.

May 15, 2015 at 5:17:44 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
My thrift shops haven't had CRTs in many years, and the very few that I have gotten from neighbors/friends will never have good geometry I have a far bigger chance of actually playing the games I legitimately bought on the LCD in family room than a CRT anywhere.

May 15, 2015 at 5:20:59 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

My thrift shops haven't had CRTs in many years, and the very few that I have gotten from neighbors/friends will never have good geometry I have a far bigger chance of actually playing the games I legitimately bought on the LCD in family room than a CRT anywhere.

I found your problem.  You have the word "California" under your name, if you change that, you should find CRT tvs still.

May 15, 2015 at 5:44:04 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
I think places like goodwill get more cash from recycling electronics than they do from selling, so the stores have almost only clothes.

May 16, 2015 at 11:11:59 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

Actually, it's more or less the same in my area (Austin). Everyone trashed their CRTs fast around here, it seems like. 

May 16, 2015 at 11:13:01 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

I found your problem.  You have the word "California" under your name, if you change that, you should find CRT tvs still.

Except he's probably in a better position to find a Sony BVM or PVM.

May 16, 2015 at 11:40:18 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

I didn't know california has a better ebay than me.  You're not going to find one of these models in the wild, you need to find a video production place, since they were 10k-30k each. And honestly, I would not want one, that's not how the games are supposed to look.  I just beat double dragon V last night, and on these monitors their shadows wouldn't have worked right.

May 16, 2015 at 3:37:00 PM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas

I didn't know california has a better ebay than me.  You're not going to find one of these models in the wild, you need to find a video production place, since they were 10k-30k each. And honestly, I would not want one, that's not how the games are supposed to look.  I just beat double dragon V last night, and on these monitors their shadows wouldn't have worked right.

video production place - California.

I think there are different ways of looking at picture quality and retro gaming.

Some people define it as "authenticity" : the best quality picture is that which most closely resembles the CRT TVs they played on as a kid.

Some people try to define it using more objective criteria : the best quality picture is that picture which is the sharpest, brightest, most uniform, etc. 

Sometimes it's cool to fire up the old Sanyo CRT, but for the most part I just prefer the look of emulators running in 1080p with scanlines. I'm willing to sacrifice a few dithering effects because I feel the image is better overall, even taking this into account. Composite analogue signals suck

Edited: 05/16/2015 at 03:37 PM by PatrickM.

May 16, 2015 at 5:25:14 PM
Geoff (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
England
I'm with you. Not that I prefer emulators, but that every single approach is a trade off. There is no objective 'right' way to play NES games. Just pick the method that meets your expectations best and which you can afford and respect people who choose differently without bitching at them

May 17, 2015 at 1:21:17 AM
PatrickM. (1)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: Geoff

I'm with you. Not that I prefer emulators, but that every single approach is a trade off. There is no objective 'right' way to play NES games. Just pick the method that meets your expectations best and which you can afford and respect people who choose differently without bitching at them
I should have added "or consoles upscaled to 1080p on an LCD/ Plasma using an upscaling unit." They look indistinguishable. Minor point. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:42:09 PM
Bgboud2 (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Hi, I am a long time Tecmo Super Bowl player both on the NES console and using Nestopia. I have been through some of this thread, and while I'm not a programmer, I have done some latency testing with an LED modded NES controller and also have the retrousb adapter so that the same test could be performed on console and PC. This was a post I made about it...
http://tecmobowl.org/topic/63263-...

Under the right conditions I was able to get ~8 ms difference from the NES to Nestopia. I haven't updated that post in a while but I was able to get my BenQ a bit closer to the CRT display.

As for a Panasonic TV, the upscaling from the NES console was only about 26ms difference but that processing time was about the same when using the PC to HDMI.

So for my purpose of playing edited roms, the investment in a HDMI modded console wouldn't be worth it to me as I feel the Nestopia emulation is close enough to "perfect" for me.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:09:19 PM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States

The problem there is that I do not have room for a big CRT, like I said. I hate the look of SD consoles on an HDTV.

The latest Firmware for the Framemeister allows for decent-looking scanlines if you want a retro look. I made custom 4x and 5x profiles that look great (4x is better for scanlines if that's your thing). So here's my pixel-perfect setup and how much it cost me:

NES with NESRGB mod installed (uses the SNES-style multi AV port on the back): $280

Everdrive Cart with entire NES library: $120

High quiality coaxial-upgraded RGB CSync JP-21 cable: $50

XRGB-mini Framemeister: $350

HDMI cable: $10

I won't bother with listing my HDTV, AV receiver, etc. since everyone's tastes and budget will be different. But the main point is I get crystal-clear picture quality with perfectly scaled pixels using my custom profiles. Here's a photograph I took of Castlevania on my setup (which the crappy camera only hints out how clear the picture quality is):

Edited: 06/22/2015 at 09:11 PM by Firebrandx

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:16:25 PM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
FYI, here's one of my favorite videos on what some of us like about RGB on a modern display: