Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ranking the MCU As Endgame looms, thought it would be fun to chat about favorites.

Apr 22 at 9:12:09 AM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Ahead of Endgame’s release, here are my rankings of the MCU films, ranked worst to best:

Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor: Dark World
Iron Man 3
Thor
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel 
Ant-Man
Iron Man
Thor: Ragnarok
Doctor Strange 
Captain America: The First Avenger
Black Panther
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy 
Captain America: Winter Soldier

Apr 22 at 9:25:09 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Here's my list from Best - Worst:

Iron Man (Nothing beats this one for me)
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy 
Black Panther
Iron Man 3
Thor
Doctor Strange 
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain Marvel 
Ant-Man and the Wasp

-------------------------

Apr 22 at 11:10:35 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Best to worst:

The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Thor
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Ant-Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp
The Incredible Hulk

Haves     |     Wants

Apr 22 at 11:37:20 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Best to worst:

Black Panther
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Avengers: Assemble
Thor
Captain America: The first Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 22 at 12:06:10 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I remember doing this already. So I'll post a list that probably doesn't match what I posted before

Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
Captain America Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

(decent-sized gap)

Black Panther
Avengers
Spider-Man Homecoming
Avengers Infinity War
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man

And then the rest. They're all kind of starting to blend together at this point.

Haven't seen Captain Marvel or whatever Avengers Assemble is.

edit:  Not enough Thor Ragnorak love so far.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 12:08 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 22 at 2:01:27 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Best:

Great:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Iron Man

Good:
The Avengers
Black Panther
Ant-Man
Captain Marvel
Thor
The Incredible Hulk

Eh:
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2

Let's Go Penguins!

Apr 22 at 2:05:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I remember doing this already. So I'll post a list that probably doesn't match what I posted before

Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
Captain America Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

(decent-sized gap)

Black Panther
Avengers
Spider-Man Homecoming
Avengers Infinity War
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man

And then the rest. They're all kind of starting to blend together at this point.

Haven't seen Captain Marvel or whatever Avengers Assemble is.

edit:  Not enough Thor Ragnorak love so far.
Yeah, I can't believe people are ranking Ragnorak so low. That one is a gem. I actually really liked Homecoming as well.

Black Panther would score a little higher for me, except that the plot points are basically the same as the original Thor (and I really liked the first Thor movie.)

Apr 22 at 3:44:25 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Yeah, I can't believe people are ranking Ragnorak so low. That one is a gem. I actually really liked Homecoming as well.

I would put Thor Ragnarok as my favorite out of all of them so far.  But I recognize that it managed to cast the nostalgia spell with the soundtrack and stylization.

But I guess it would be fair to nitpick which movies work best "stand alone", which Ragnarok has an awful lot of necessary back story from the other movies.

Apr 22 at 4:02:04 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

But I guess it would be fair to nitpick which movies work best "stand alone", which Ragnarok has an awful lot of necessary back story from the other movies.

I think that's true of most of the movies post Avengers. Even some of the later origin movies start to assume you've seen a few of the other MCUs.

To me the biggest issue with the MCU is the sophmore slump; only Winter Soldier seemed to avoid that.

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 04:09 PM by Tulpa

Apr 22 at 4:15:25 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Ragnorok, to me, felt like it was a Thor movie trying to be a Guardians movie... From the jokes to the soundtrack, it all seemed to try really hard to cash in on the GotG formula. The Dark World had an awful antagonist and plot, but at least if FELT like a Thor film.

Edit: In the opening scene, when Thor is hanging by chains and cracking goofy jokes to make light of his predicament, it seems like Chris Hemsworth as Chris Pratt, playing Thor. 

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 04:18 PM by Br81zad

Apr 22 at 4:17:54 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Br81zad

Ragnorok, to me, felt like it was a Thor movie trying to be a Guardians movie... From the jokes to the soundtrack, it all seemed to try really hard to cash in on the GotG formula. The Dark World had an awful antagonist and plot, but at least if FELT like a Thor film.
That last bit makes me chuckle... there are only 3 films that are explicitly "Thor films".  There isn't some hard-and-fast rule for what "feels like a Thor film" IMO.

Apr 22 at 4:20:09 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

That last bit makes me chuckle... there are only 3 films that are explicitly "Thor films".  There isn't some hard-and-fast rule for what "feels like a Thor film" IMO.

Rather, it had a familiar feel/tone to the original, which sets the standard.

Apr 22 at 4:22:19 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Well, I think it is pretty easy to argue that the first and second Thor movies shouldn't be held up as a particular good standard to try and emulate, so shaking it up with the style of the third was necessary.

Apr 22 at 4:24:12 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
The Thor movies had no identity, and the MCU was getting stale with too many titles coming out that were too samey. So they did a 180 with Thor, a rebranding of sorts. I think it was sorely needed.

And it is less Guardians of the Galaxy than it is What We Do In The Shadows. For obvious reasons.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 04:28 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 22 at 4:28:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

And it is less Guardians of the Galaxy than it is What We Do In The Shadows. For obvious reasons.
Agreed.  Definitely this.

People are just throwing out Guardians because at the time it was the main "funny" Marvel movie (rather than looking at the kind of work that the director for Ragnarok was already known for)

Apr 22 at 4:34:55 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

Well, I think it is pretty easy to argue that the first and second Thor movies shouldn't be held up as a particular good standard to try and emulate, so shaking it up with the style of the third was necessary.

I've got Ragnorok in the top half of my list, and ranked above the original. I'm just saying it isn't in consideration for being my top 5 becasue of the reasons already mentioned. And it's not just that Thor felt different from the 2 previous films, his dialogue felt inconsistent from even his prior appearances in the Avengers films. 

The action was great, Hela was a good villain, it's a good movie.

Apr 22 at 6:08:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Yeah, I'd argue that while Iron Man and Spider-Man are character-driven storylines for the most part, Thor and Captain America are less characters than they are plot devices.  Captain America serves us up political/military thrillers (or at least Winter Soldier did, I forget the specifics of the other two), while Thor was a vehicle for a generic fantasy sci-fi setup.  I'd say there wasn't anything remotely memorable about those first two movies, other than maybe Loki.  The MCU runners obviously realized the same thing, that it wasn't working.

Apr 22 at 6:40:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
The first Thor was pretty good. It showed a brash young warrior having to learn humility.

The second Thor had no point except "Hey, we haven't done a Thor movie in awhile, and maybe use it to introduce another Infinity Stone."

Ragnorak was not only fun, but felt like they were actually moving the Infinity Stone arc forward.

Apr 22 at 9:22:30 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
I needed 4 categories, there is no order in each category.

Best: Guardians of the galaxy, Thor Ragnorok, Hulk 2008, Avengers Age of Ultron, Avengers Infinity War (as long as the second half matches).

Pretty Good:

Iron Man, Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Captain America, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Black Panther

Needed Something:

Iron man 2, Thor, Thor 2, Doctor Strange, Ant Man and Wasp

Embarrassing:

Iron man 3, Hulk 2003, Captain Marvel, Civil War, Avengers

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 09:39 PM by Californication

Apr 22 at 9:39:40 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
I feel like Doctor Strange doesn't get enough love.

Apr 22 at 10:00:32 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Originally posted by: WalterWhiteJr.

Agreed. So many people rank it low, but I thought it was a great orgin story, good intro to the time stone, had some decent villians, a new way to "win" against the villian, and a decent set-up for the sequel. On top of that, I think Cumberbatch nails the role. I didn't know much about Dr. Strange before he was in the MCU, but he's pretty easily my favorite hero now.

Let's Go Penguins!

Apr 22 at 11:38:23 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Best:
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy 1+2

Great:
Iron Man
Black Panther

Good:
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Thor
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk

Meh:
Ant Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2

Barf:

Edited: 07/23/2019 at 03:20 AM by fox

Apr 22 at 11:47:49 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States

I feel it is kind of middle of the pack. There is enough good stuff there to make it worth watching, but the "origin movie" formula is a bit stale.

Doctor Strange really nails the psychedelia of the comic.  It has some fantastic visuals and inception inspired effects turned up to 11.  Cumberbatch makes a good Doctor Strange by channeling his Sherlock character.  Tilda Swinton does a good job as the Nameless One.  

Much of the humor falls flat.  Way too many of the Iron Man style one liners and slapstick humor which does nothing for me.  We also have yet another weak Marvel villain played by Mads Mikkelsen, who was great in Hannibal, but isn't given anything to work with.  After losing his family, he makes a deal with the devil to save humanity and give them everlasting life.  That is a really interesting backstory and worldview, too bad we don't get to see any of it or hear it from him, it is just given as exposition by another character.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is kind of under-developed too as Baron Mordo, but I suppose that can be fixed in the sequel.  Rachel McAdams gets sacked with a weird romantic interest/friend role.  So many good actors with not much to do.

The ending is truly great and should workd set Doctor Strange apart.  The film also sets up a couple things for the future of the character which are kind of exciting.

Of course we saw Strange really level up with more control of his powers and a big part to play in Infinity War, so once the character escaped his run of the mill origin movie, he really came into his own.

Apr 23 at 2:23:56 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Oh wow this is tricky simply because I don't watch them all that often. I own them but I've yet to rewatch them...so it might not be totally accurate since I'm going to have issues remembering stuff.

Best to worst.

Guardians Vol 1
Iron Man
Ant-Man
Captain America
Doctor Strange
The Avengers
(This is where it gets hard since a lot of them are meh save for a few that are really bad)
Captain Marvel
Civil War
Thor
Black Panther
Iron Man 2
Infinity War
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ultron
Winter Soldier
Guardians vol 2

As for Hulk and Spiderman...Hulk I never saw (I should fix that at some point) and Spiderman...I don't consider part of the MCU honestly. It feels like it's a spin off even though Spiderman is in the MCU and is in some of the bigger films...maybe I just dislike Spiderman.

Honestly after Captain Marvel I was just having a heck of a time remembering the movies...they're so forgettable. Save for Guardians vol 2. That one was a HUGE let down and that's why it's my worst.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Apr 23 at 8:01:11 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom

I got that reference.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here