Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Garbage COLECO Chameleon Feel like I've seen this before somewhere.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:27:20 AM
AsmikAce (97)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleeoooonnnnn. You come and goooooo... you come and gooooooooo!!
Best post in this thread.

The Karma Chameleon Telephone seems like a better investment then this.

As much as I love cartridge based consoles, one of the reasons why people love to buy and collect for their Atari, Sega, or Nintendo is the legacy they have and the personal memories. You can't expect to put a new cartridge console and expect people buy it on being "old school" despite using a defucted company name and Jaguar mold.

Other hand if someone like Nintendo or Sega started doing this for there older systems, that would be more interesting.

-------------------------

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:33:44 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Other hand if someone like Nintendo or Sega started doing this for there older systems, that would be more interesting.

Goodness...if this happened, I imagine most of the smalltime homebrewers would suddenly not have a hobby. I sincerely hope this does not happen. I'd probably have to jump to pc or android or something at that point. I'm kinda expecting they won't do this---they would have no control over the market---the old systems are already hackable and open and cloned and etc. etc. etc.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:58:04 PM
BingoRingo (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Originally posted by: cirellio

Hey, some positive things could happen from this. Like maybe Coleco will take a hit on the price per unit and make it actually be affordable. Maybe it will play Colecovision carts. Surprised they went with renders for their big partnership reveal, though. That backfired badly last time, and I can't blame people for wanting to see more physical evidence this time around. They need to earn back the trust of potential customers, and more renders is not the way to do it.

Like it was mentioned above, Coleco is just a name nowadays. It's owned by someone who owns names and gets royalties, that's their business. I don't think they're investing any real money in this project, they're letting someone else use their name and hope that they'll make some money out of it. Coleco's risk is nearly non-existent, if the system fails, people will forget about it and the brand will not be affected. If it works, then they win.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:17:11 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

Goodness...if this happened, I imagine most of the smalltime homebrewers would suddenly not have a hobby. I sincerely hope this does not happen. I'd probably have to jump to pc or android or something at that point. I'm kinda expecting they won't do this---they would have no control over the market---the old systems are already hackable and open and cloned and etc. etc. etc.

On the other side of the coin, Nintendo and Sega might look at homebrewers as a prospective pool of talent to scout. You're right that it probably won't happen though.

Originally posted by: BingoRingo

Like it was mentioned above, Coleco is just a name nowadays. It's owned by someone who owns names and gets royalties, that's their business. I don't think they're investing any real money in this project, they're letting someone else use their name and hope that they'll make some money out of it. Coleco's risk is nearly non-existent, if the system fails, people will forget about it and the brand will not be affected. If it works, then they win.

Well, that sucks! I was trying to look for some silver lining here.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 12/18/2015 at 01:18 PM by NickTLG

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:41:22 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: cirellio
 Maybe it will play Colecovision carts.
If they're using Jag shells, unlikely. The whole point of the Retro VGS was that it used a console shell mold that was already engineered to save money, and they were using the Jaguar game cart molds. My guess is the intention is to use the Coleco name, but still go with the VGS plan of original games. Of course there are so few details its just as much vaporware as the Retro VGS.

I remember the original thread they posted they were calling it the Retro Entertainment System, a name already taken by a clone. I don't think they have the slightest idea what they're doing.

Edited: 12/18/2015 at 03:42 PM by Tulpa

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:01:06 PM
Final Theory (2)

(Final Theory) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I'm calling it the Coco-Retro.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:12:52 AM
Muramasa (18)
(Muramasa TheNinja) < Crack Trooper >
United States
ARS has a new article about he Coleco. From what I gathered there expectations seem a lot more real now, and they are basically pinning alot of the blame on the guy that was designing the hardware.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/201...

Will be interesting to see what they have planned.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:20:05 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Blame the guy who is gone, instead of the guy who was in charge If Mike actually thought it was a bad idea he would not have been the driver behind the campaign.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:25:24 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
If they can pull it off at a price that is still reasonable, I might buy one just to satisfy my curiosity. Something I haven't heard about yet, though, is games. I'm wondering what their current plans for getting developers are.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:30:41 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Blame the guy who is gone, instead of the guy who was in charge If Mike actually thought it was a bad idea he would not have been the driver behind the campaign.

I blame the lack of a defined vision or business plan which allowed for price/feature bloat. I still think they're lacking in the vision/business plan category

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:44:52 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: AsmikAce

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleeoooonnnnn. You come and goooooo... you come and gooooooooo!!
Best post in this thread.

The Karma Chameleon Telephone seems like a better investment then this.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YB6..." width="500">>

As much as I love cartridge based consoles, one of the reasons why people love to buy and collect for their Atari, Sega, or Nintendo is the legacy they have and the personal memories. You can't expect to put a new cartridge console and expect people buy it on being "old school" despite using a defucted company name and Jaguar mold.

If the Retro VGS was a singing chameleon with a harmonica-playing ladybug next to it I'd shell out the cash in a heartbeat

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:34:25 PM
BuraddoRun (0)
(Brad ) < Cherub >
Texas
It's got my attention anyway. I'm not excited for it or anything, but you can definitely color me interested. I am not certain I would contribute to a Kickstarter campaign, though.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:34:01 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
I'm amazed this thread hasn't been bumped yet with the shitstorm brewing. Mike Kennedy premiered a "prototype" at the New York Toy Fair. The sleuths at Atari Age have shown pretty easily that all Mike did was take apart an SNES mini, and shove it in their Jaguar shell. Things just went from funny train wreck to straight up scam.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:04:22 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
My prototype is better! https://www.facebook.com/retroUSB...

I completely agree with straight up scam, but his next move is to just blame the hardware guy again.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:04:26 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
@the-news-about-coleco-chameleon-being-a-snes-mini Wow. Just...wow. Well I mean on the one hand nothing wrong with making yet another snes clone, just be honest about what it is and does...which apparently they are not. I thought it was going to play old coleco games not snes. What the freaking fracking heck are they thinking. I am actually beginning to wonder if Mike is clinically insane, yet functional in society. Like so many of us, only our insanity comes out in less spectacularly faily ways.

*edit* I keep wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt. But I'm getting pretty confident now that if anybody comes up with a "new retro" system that I and other retro coders would be interested in developing for, it's not going to be this team. (unless it stays a snes mini, in which case I guess snes coders by default will be developing for it anyway)

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 02/15/2016 at 03:07 PM by GradualGames

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:21:33 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

@the-news-about-coleco-chameleon-being-a-snes-mini Wow. Just...wow. Well I mean on the one hand nothing wrong with making yet another snes clone, just be honest about what it is and does...which apparently they are not. I thought it was going to play old coleco games not snes. What the freaking fracking heck are they thinking. I am actually beginning to wonder if Mike is clinically insane, yet functional in society. Like so many of us, only our insanity comes out in less spectacularly faily ways.

*edit* I keep wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt. But I'm getting pretty confident now that if anybody comes up with a "new retro" system that I and other retro coders would be interested in developing for, it's not going to be this team. (unless it stays a snes mini, in which case I guess snes coders by default will be developing for it anyway)

Also, our insanity usually doesn't cost a lot of other people their hard earned money.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:24:44 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska

So....I'm guessing you are not on short list for the first line of production.

Not sure if fraud or they saw that they couldn't make their deadline to deliver a demo product by show time so they just frankensteined an SNES mini so they could show PIKO's game. I'm sure they knew PIKO was stopping by with a board, so at worst, all they had to do was show that it would play an SNES game.

This was not a good idea by them either way...

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:37:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California

Well I mean on the one hand nothing wrong with making yet another snes clone, just be honest about what it is and does...which apparently they are not. 
If they did SNES, and included HDMI, and put some money into the dev tools like a good c compiler, then it would probably be very successful.  But that would take actual hard work and they also wouldn't need to hide what it was.  

Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

Not sure if fraud or they saw that they couldn't make their deadline to deliver a demo product by show time so they just frankensteined an SNES mini so they could show PIKO's game. 
Saying what it actually is would be transparency/honesty, and would get a few people laughing at them.  Claiming it is their own new board moves directly into fraud and adds 30+ pages of bad news on AA.  I didn't think he could destroy his reputation so much so fast!

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:38:14 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man
So....I'm guessing you are not on short list for the first line of production.

Not sure if fraud or they saw that they couldn't make their deadline to deliver a demo product by show time so they just frankensteined an SNES mini so they could show PIKO's game. I'm sure they knew PIKO was stopping by with a board, so at worst, all they had to do was show that it would play an SNES game.

This was not a good idea by them either way...

https://pikointeractive.com/blog/...

Piko is claiming ignorance, but really, he brought his SNES repros/homebrews to show, that are clearly SNES PCBs. Either he is too dumb to realize that you couldn't just plug an SNES PCB into a random cartridge slot and it will work, or he is complicit in this whole fraud.

Given how he is banned from here and elsewhere for his shady activity, I'll believe the latter.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:03:36 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

Either he is too dumb to realize that you couldn't just plug an SNES PCB into a random cartridge slot and it will work, or he is complicit in this whole fraud.
That is almost exactly what I said    http://on.fb.me/1Lqd0EF...  Lower down you can see how he doesn't think his name will be dragged down too.  

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:58:23 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I was wondering when this would come up on NA again. I e been following the AA thread and I dont think Ive ever been so sucked into a forum thread. Its like watching a car wreck you just cant look away

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:09:52 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Held off on reading this for a day or two, and wow! Fraud and duplicity, I never would have guessed! I saw a bunch of pictures on the Twitter of it running and playing CollectorVision's game, and figured that it was good to go (to the best of its abilities at least), but had no clue it was all faked. Interesting turn of events, to say the least...

Edit: just lost an hour and a half to reading, and still twenty pages of posts over the last two days to go (which I doubt go anywhere else, so that's a night).

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 02/15/2016 at 10:32 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:40:50 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Kinda answers why they're showing this off at Toy Fair instead of a gaming convention: chances are the audience is pretty ignorant to RVGS and they may not be familiar enough with the SNES to figure it out. No way they'd bring that turd to PGRE or anywhere else. Either way, just seems like a colossal waste of everyone's time...

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:43:27 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I'm totally speechless. This is almost as bad as Ahmed's clock. All he needs now is a trip to the white house and successful kickstarter.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:56:29 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: CMR

I'm totally speechless. This is almost as bad as Ahmed's clock. All he needs now is a trip to the white house and successful kickstarter.

Thanks to Ahmed, everyone thinks that kind of fraud is totally A-OK.