Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Rad Racer Contest ends Sunday, 10/3/13 at 10 PM NA time

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:07:30 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Ugh, this game sucks so much. That said I just might find time to punish myself with it later this week. I think the third track is as far as I've ever made it.

-------------------------

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:10:28 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: LukeAF24

Quick question. Are we allowed to pause right before the finish on the last track? I'm going to beat the game and its impossible to try and catch your score since there is no game over screen.

That will be fine, Luke.  If anyone beats the game, make sure to take your picture right before the end of the last track.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:12:13 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
^^ Awesome! Thanks!

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:46:52 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

I might have to use the PAL version for this one... Luckily, it runs at the same speed as the NTSC version so it should count.

Quoted from the rules:

Systems

- NTSC systems will be the only consoles allowed for the contests.  PAL systems will not be allowed.

Did you submit your score from a PAL system?  If so, it won't count.  If it's a PAL game in a Top Loader, then it will be fine.
Actually, guillavoie said this in the SMB 3 contest, so I thought I could use a PAL system, as this game is sped up for PAL systems.
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

No PAL?!? Even when the game is optimized?!? >

Well, explain what you mean exactly by 'optimized' and we may reconsider the situation.

Optimized means that the game is sped up so the PAL version runs at the same speed as the NTSC version.
Most of the games by the big companies are optimized, but several of them still run slower (Especially early Konami releases). An easy way to check if those games are optimized is to download an NTSC ROM and a PAL ROM and compare the speed.
If there's no difference between PAL and NTSC, then it's optimized

Thanks for your explanation!

If there's no difference in speed, then the 'no pal system rule' can be void for this game, and all other 'optimized' pal games.

BTW the game IS on a PAL system...
Let me know if you accept my score or not

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 05:47 PM by Vectrex28

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:56:29 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Even though it's not a "cheat code" by definition, I'm assuming the pausing trick isn't allowed.

Nope, the pausing trick won't be allowed.

"pausing trick"?!?

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:04:26 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Quick question. Are we allowed to pause right before the finish on the last track? I'm going to beat the game and its impossible to try and catch your score since there is no game over screen.

I think I can do this as well,it's just a matter if I can do it before the week is up.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:15:19 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

I might have to use the PAL version for this one... Luckily, it runs at the same speed as the NTSC version so it should count.

Quoted from the rules:

Systems

- NTSC systems will be the only consoles allowed for the contests.  PAL systems will not be allowed.

Did you submit your score from a PAL system?  If so, it won't count.  If it's a PAL game in a Top Loader, then it will be fine.
Actually, guillavoie said this in the SMB 3 contest, so I thought I could use a PAL system, as this game is sped up for PAL systems.

No PAL?!? Even when the game is optimized?!? >

Well, explain what you mean exactly by 'optimized' and we may reconsider the situation.

Optimized means that the game is sped up so the PAL version runs at the same speed as the NTSC version.
Most of the games by the big companies are optimized, but several of them still run slower (Especially early Konami releases). An easy way to check if those games are optimized is to download an NTSC ROM and a PAL ROM and compare the speed.
If there's no difference between PAL and NTSC, then it's optimized

Thanks for your explanation!

If there's no difference in speed, then the 'no pal system rule' can be void for this game, and all other 'optimized' pal games.

BTW the game IS on a PAL system...
Let me know if you accept my score or not

Since Rad Racer is optimized for PAL systems, it will be allowed.  Otherwise, PAL systems are not allowed.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:24:02 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I think I can do this as well,it's just a matter if I can do it before the week is up.

Same here, I'm hoping I have enough time to put in. I popped it in and can get to lvl 5 without crashing. But, level 5 is always dumb because I crash from hitting the back of cars too fast. 

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 06:25 PM by SwiftFrost

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:00:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Same here, I'm hoping I have enough time to put in. I popped it in and can get to lvl 5 without crashing. But, level 5 is always dumb because I crash from hitting the back of cars too fast. 

Haha,I try to slam on the break before it gets to that point. I don't mind hitting them as long as it is flush,otherwise I get slingshotted to either side usually into a sign,rock,etc.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:08:31 PM
webb8514 (11)
(Vesuvius Charleston) < Meka Chicken >
New York

Originally posted by: webb8514

Heh,my high score lasted a whopping 4 hours. Guess I'll have to hit it up again after I get home from the gym. Can we do an NA bench press contest? I know I'd do real well in that competition. Lol.

lol, maybe I've never been a power lifter; I've always considered being able to lift a bit more than my body weight pretty good, and I am lifting around 200 right now.
I'm benching 345 right now (weigh 207) so close to my 350 goal. Then I guess I'll shoot for 400. Of course I think worlds strongest man on here benches like cars and stuff,so I couldn't beat him in a competition. 

345 is impressive man, that's awesome. I weigh 185, so 200 is pretty good as far as I am concerned. I'm always pushing, so I'm sure I'll get more, but I am heavily into distance running, so I am all about maintaining my endurance without getting to bulky.

My NES cartridge collection:  208/768 (27.08%)

Just got a 3DS - looking to start a DS/3DS collection. If you have any games you'd like to part with (preferably with case), PM me.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:41:04 PM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
I've actually never played this game before, picked it up recently though. Took a few tries, this is the best I can do for today.

Butts Make Farts.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 07:41 PM by Clyde The Jackal

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:39:41 PM
webb8514 (11)
(Vesuvius Charleston) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Attempt #1 - 37,009
Still didn't make it into the top 10, but hopefully I'll get there by Sunday.

My NES cartridge collection:  208/768 (27.08%)

Just got a 3DS - looking to start a DS/3DS collection. If you have any games you'd like to part with (preferably with case), PM me.

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 08:44 PM by webb8514

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:21:18 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Heh,my high score lasted a whopping 4 hours. Guess I'll have to hit it up again after I get home from the gym. Can we do an NA bench press contest? I know I'd do real well in that competition. Lol.

lol, maybe I've never been a power lifter; I've always considered being able to lift a bit more than my body weight pretty good, and I am lifting around 200 right now.
I'm benching 345 right now (weigh 207) so close to my 350 goal. Then I guess I'll shoot for 400. Of course I think worlds strongest man on here benches like cars and stuff,so I couldn't beat him in a competition. 

345 is impressive man, that's awesome. I weigh 185, so 200 is pretty good as far as I am concerned. I'm always pushing, so I'm sure I'll get more, but I am heavily into distance running, so I am all about maintaining my endurance without getting to bulky.

Yeah,if you are into distance running you won't be able to lift extremely heavy weights. It's just the way it works. More mass = lift more.  But if that's what you are into,who cares what you can lift. I am kinda bulky (5'8" 207) so I know you'd smoke me in a race. I'd probably keep up for maybe half a mile then I'm done. Back 3 years ago when I was 175 and running 4-5 times a week I could have,but not now. I sold out for strength.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:38:57 PM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
This game is unforgiving. OMG, I tried 3 times and couldn't pass the second check point on the first race. I only crash once and I still can't make it.

Is there a difference between the cars?

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:49:29 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Chrono

This game is unforgiving. OMG, I tried 3 times and couldn't pass the second check point on the first race. I only crash once and I still can't make it.

no. are you holding up while accelerating? it takes a long time to get up to speed with the A button alone.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49:27 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Lincoln

no. are you holding up while accelerating? it takes a long time to get up to speed with the A button alone.
Wow I didn't realize you could do that. I've just been playing error free and making good use of my brakes when I need to.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 11:50 PM by gutsman004

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:10:38 AM
AceEbb (186)
(Jeff T) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
Paricipatin'

Photobucket

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:07:50 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Well, I improved my high score, beat the first level (finally), and feel like I'm improving. Unfortunately I didn't score enough to climb the standings Oh well, if I keep improving I won't have to worry too much, the ladder-climbing will come eventually. Too lazy to post the pic now though, just thought I'd say I actually feel like I'm getting better every time I play...working off 20 years of rust is never easy

EDIT: Okay, scratch that...not too lazy anymore!  Just got my absolute best performance ever!  20 years ago, the furthest I ever got was stage 2.  Now, I spent time on level 2 continuing to get the hang of the course, but not beating it...then figuring I could at least rank ahead of last place, I started from the beginning and somehow managed to make it to stage 5!  So, here's my current score, 39,538:

This is my personal best performance ever, and although I'd like to build on it, unfortunately my thumbs are killing me!  The best advice I can give is to slow the fuck down for turns, and know when to lay off the turbo...just because you can get that epic speed boost doesn't mean you should.  Takes a bit of practice, but it's not too tough.  That said, I highly doubt I'd have a better run than this any time soon, seems like it was a fluke, but I'm enjoying this one (surprisingly, forgot how much I liked Rad Racer as a kid), so I'll definitely be attempting it again this week

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 03:46 AM by the_wizard_666

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:02:41 AM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
Originally posted by: Lincoln

*mind blown*

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:26:56 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I used to play with Ferrari,but now I always play with the F-1 car. Makes me feel like I'm playing Pole Position.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:25:23 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
I thought I owned this game, but Appearently that was RC PRO AM (1 and 2) and Mach Rider

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:52:54 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

This is my personal best performance ever, and although I'd like to build on it, unfortunately my thumbs are killing me!  The best advice I can give is to slow the fuck down for turns, and know when to lay off the turbo...just because you can get that epic speed boost doesn't mean you should.  Takes a bit of practice, but it's not too tough.  That said, I highly doubt I'd have a better run than this any time soon, seems like it was a fluke, but I'm enjoying this one (surprisingly, forgot how much I liked Rad Racer as a kid), so I'll definitely be attempting it again this week
Nice run! Especially for never getting past level two. The biggest tips are indeed to brake, brake and more brake. If you don't know the course by heart, slam on the brake as soon as you see the turn signs on the side of the road. The biggest thing to remember is going 'slow' for 3 seconds is infinitely better than crashing. Another tip is to pick your spots when passing cars. Don't get over anxious. Go slow and take your time when they cut you off and block you in. Especially once you are past level 2 and they purposely try to demolition derby you right off the road. 

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 06:53 AM by SwiftFrost

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:05:17 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
The game will actually show your high score during the demo if you wait long enough. It appears in the text box that says stuff like "Press Start", "Square" "Game Over" etc. Its not on the screen for long, but it'll keep looping if you miss it the first time. Could be very helpful for those struggling to snap a quick pic of their score at the end of their run.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast....
677/677 Licensed NES Games
94/94 TG16 Games

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:17:32 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
F*CK!!! I had a really stupid second of inattention, and I crashed near the end of the race. and I nearly broke 50K!
Also, someone should update the scores in Gradius and in the leaderboard :/

Final score:49102

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 10:18 AM by Vectrex28

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:21:54 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Oh so close to beating it. Got to nearly the last leg and of course a suicide driver veers into my lane as we are taking a curve ending my chances. I may try one more time tonight then call it a day.

Drats! How could you?!
I'll get my revenge, sooner or later!