(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
I've downgraded with no issues.

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:25:26 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: avlon

A couple of things that I would like to address. There seems to be some serious cognitive dissonance in this thread.

A) A flaw is a flaw. Every green strip game that I own that didn't work on the AVS or any other clone works just fine on both my top loading and now front loading NES.

B) His losing money is not the concern of the consumer, nor anyone elses business. He isn't running a charity, and neither are the people paying for a product touted as premium and better than the competition.
I think most people have been pretty patient in waiting a year for a replacement part on a problem that shouldn't have existed due to the fact that they know it's a small operation and wanting to support that.

C) The consumer should not be expected to have to open up and case mod a premium product to fix it themselves. I understand the reason why things are this way, and I commend RetroUSB for attempting to fix a major flaw, but I can already see
new problems cropping up with inexperienced and unqualified people damaging their AVS as they attempt to do this fix.

I'd say the best bet is for folks scared to mod their system to contact RetroUSB and check out their options. After all, this market is already small enough, and word of mouth can make or break small businesses. I'd personally request to exchange a Rev 1 for a Rev 2 (as long as the Rev 1 is still in immaculate shape) so that it could be professionally refurbed by RetroUSB themselves and resold.
Uhh, if you're talking about me...

I wasn't saying that his losing money is a concern for the end user. I was saying that it was hyperbole to imply that they are being "nickel and dimed" when we know it isn't a profit thing and that phrase applies to unscrupulous profiteers (not someone asking the customer to cover a shipping expense that's less than the total cost). The justification of that fee is a different matter that I am wholly undecided on.

I do think an external adapter would make more sense for the people where opening the console could proved burdensome. Speaking of which, there may be a bit of precedent:
Does anyone know if Codemasters/Galoob charged shipping for their Game Genie NES-101 adapter?

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 08:27 PM by CZroe

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:57:50 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: CZroe

A couple of things that I would like to address. There seems to be some serious cognitive dissonance in this thread.

A) A flaw is a flaw. Every green strip game that I own that didn't work on the AVS or any other clone works just fine on both my top loading and now front loading NES.

B) His losing money is not the concern of the consumer, nor anyone elses business. He isn't running a charity, and neither are the people paying for a product touted as premium and better than the competition.
I think most people have been pretty patient in waiting a year for a replacement part on a problem that shouldn't have existed due to the fact that they know it's a small operation and wanting to support that.

C) The consumer should not be expected to have to open up and case mod a premium product to fix it themselves. I understand the reason why things are this way, and I commend RetroUSB for attempting to fix a major flaw, but I can already see
new problems cropping up with inexperienced and unqualified people damaging their AVS as they attempt to do this fix.

I'd say the best bet is for folks scared to mod their system to contact RetroUSB and check out their options. After all, this market is already small enough, and word of mouth can make or break small businesses. I'd personally request to exchange a Rev 1 for a Rev 2 (as long as the Rev 1 is still in immaculate shape) so that it could be professionally refurbed by RetroUSB themselves and resold.

I wasn't saying that his losing money is a concern for the end user. I was saying that it was hyperbole to imply that they are being "nickel and dimed" when we know it isn't a profit thing and that phrase applies to unscrupulous profiteers (not someone asking the customer to cover a shipping expense that's less than the total cost). The justification of that fee is a different matter that I am wholly undecided on.

I do think an external adapter would make more sense for the people where opening the console could proved burdensome. Speaking of which, there may be a bit of precedent:
Does anyone know if Codemasters/Galoob charged shipping for their Game Genie NES-101 adapter?

Part of it was a response to you. Thanks for elaborating, since the updated comment elaborates further.  I appreciate the civility.  I also don't believe that he's "nickel and diming" anyone. 

Good question about the Game Genie NES-101 adapter. I've never even seen one in person.

-------------------------
  Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:50:17 AM
acp (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
Just now finding out the new connectors are in. Been waiting on this moment, but we now got to do something else and mod our console? I don't feel comfortable at all about doing that. Now I don't really know what to do. Anybody had any luck exchanging theirs for a newer model?

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:22:15 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: acp

Just now finding out the new connectors are in. Been waiting on this moment, but we now got to do something else and mod our console? I don't feel comfortable at all about doing that. Now I don't really know what to do. Anybody had any luck exchanging theirs for a newer model?
Someone here said that the mod is only needed if you still have trouble. Not sure if RetroUSB says the same...

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:23:25 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Part of it was a response to you. Thanks for elaborating, since the updated comment elaborates further.  I appreciate the civility.  I also don't believe that he's "nickel and diming" anyone. 

Good question about the Game Genie NES-101 adapter. I've never even seen one in person.

Me neither. It's as rare as hen's teeth and expensive to boot!

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:35:57 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Someone here said that the mod is only needed if you still have trouble. Not sure if RetroUSB says the same...

They do say that. To try the new connector first, and then mod the case if needed after.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:44:13 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

They do say that. To try the new connector first, and then mod the case if needed after.

Gotcha. The mod wouldn't be bad at all on a standard unit but I wonder how bad it would look from the outside on one of those special clear ones.

Edited: 10/18/2017 at 01:45 PM by CZroe

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:48:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Funny enough, I don't recall anyone with a clear one having green strip trouble.

Maybe they keep theirs in the box and don't play with them.  

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:08:21 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania

Funny enough, I don't recall anyone with a clear one having green strip trouble.

There is a black plastic cover the hides it. I practiced on my RE first and the LE came out good   I mostly use PowerPak or Everdrive so I had not noticed green strip games issues on either so was more preventive maintenance.

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:13:40 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Pro tip. Use 1 or 2 layers of masking tape to cover and help protect the surrounding areas. I user a Dremel with a cutting wheel and stone wheel to smooth out

My Ebay Listings

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:52:08 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I guess I might be better off selling it then since I don't have a job right now and could kind of use the cash. Anyone here willing to buy it or know where I can list it?

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:11:40 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

I do notice that when games boot up, there is a very, very faint background buzz. It's not in the main menu, only when a game starts.

Any one else have that issue?

What firmware are you using?

I'm using v1.20 (2017-09-15).  
What happens when you roll it back to one of the betas or v1.10?

As a follow up, I've downgraded to 1.10 (in addition to trying 1.20b8 & 1.20) and the issue persists.
I've also tried different TV's, HDMI cables, USB ports, and USB cables.. and the result is the same.
Once a while, a game will boot normally, but most of the time, I get background noise as soon as a title screen boots.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:14:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Damn. Time to contact support.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:57:55 AM
Dregoth (0)

< Cherub >

I have an LE, and yes the green strip frustrates the connection. I'm not modding it. No way, no how, no sir. If I can solve it by simply replacing my green strip carts, I'll do that instead.

Re: to the upset customers in this thread. I do understand your displeasure, and ideally problems like this would be solved faster and with a cleaner solution. But the ideal ignores reality which is that this product comes from one guy and not a mega-corporation. So many small projects like this fail on so many different levels. Some don't even come to fruition. This one has been pleasantly successful compared to my past experiences (for example see the Open Pandora handheld).

So it's fair to criticize, but always bear in mind the understanding that he's doing his best. Some number of functionality issues are just the nature of the beast. If you want perfection or nearer to it, then only buy from big name corporations going forward. And even then, big companies do make mistakes or fail to catch issues from time to time.

Edited: 10/19/2017 at 06:05 AM by Dregoth

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:10:14 PM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I got my connector in the mail recently and the mod was easy enough. A couple tips:

1) After removing the four screws and pushing the power and reset buttons in, pull the case forward before trying to separate the two halves. This is by far the hardest part of the whole process!
2) When modding the plastic, use needle nose pliers and gently bend the strip of plastic back and forth. You should be able to easily remove it, almost in one piece, with very little effort. This was not as hard as it seems, so nothing to worry about!

As for the debate about this, I see both sides. Extra cost for the consumer is never desirable. Supporting hobbyist projects comes with certain tradeoffs in order to have new things.

I disagree with a few of the comments though, like the idea that customers always pay return shipping with warranty issues. That is mostly true, except when products are shipped with defects, and there is a recall. In that case, the consumer is not usually responsible. All original AVS units shipped with the same connector flaw. For example, I did not have to pay any shipping to service my Nintendo Switch Joycons that had sync problems. Still, I was ok with paying shipping for the new connector, given the nature of the business.

I also disagree with the notion that it was no big deal, and that the green strip games were at fault, and there were very few of them. All of those games work flawlessly on multiple original and clone consoles, so the games are not the problem. I had fifteen games in my collection that didn't work, and they were not obscure games. Some examples: Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, Tetris, Dragon Warrior. So, a big deal for some of us!

Long story short, I don't think we should argue about this. People have a right to be upset, but also it is fair to say that the AVS is still an amazing product, and well worth the trouble. It is substantially cheaper than the competition! Those that are considering returning theirs or selling, I would say don't. Just do the mod, it's really not that hard, and move on by having a lot of fun with your fully working console.

Edited: 10/20/2017 at 11:41 PM by R.O.B. 2084

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17:09 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: R.O.B. 2084
I also disagree with the notion that it was no big deal, and that the green strip games were at fault, and there were very few of them. All of those games work flawlessly on multiple original and clone consoles, so the games are not the problem.

Actually not true. I had green strip games not work on many clone consoles as well for the same reason. It's not a problem unique to the AVS. At least RetroUSB had a solution.  

Edited: 10/20/2017 at 03:19 PM by Tulpa

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:38:07 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I purchased my AVS from a Retro Game store back in March, so I don't know exactly when it rolled off the manufacturing line. Is there any ID # on the unit that can tell me which batch my console came from?

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:25:05 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
In the other thread I was one of the "grr I'm angry about the $4 charge". But what are you going to do... so I ordered one.

What irritated me more than anything was that RetroUSB should have all the contact information for folks that bought the original directly from them. A single email notifying its availability would have been nice. I didn't appreciate first hearing about it in the other thread, before this one even surfaced. That was certainly part of my initial anger at the cost. In other words, had I learned first directly from RetroUSB via an email, I would have quietly and possibly happily placed the order immediately.

Here's to hoping development continues, and these firmware updates come out of beta. I still have mine on the stock firmware, because I don't have any issues and it seems that each one has some corner cases that would bug me.

Always loved my AVS. Always will. Just a mildly salty about the handling of this, as well as the unavailability of the USB port enforcer.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:43:29 PM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida

I also disagree with the notion that it was no big deal, and that the green strip games were at fault, and there were very few of them. All of those games work flawlessly on multiple original and clone consoles, so the games are not the problem.

Actually not true. I had green strip games not work on many clone consoles as well for the same reason. It's not a problem unique to the AVS. At least RetroUSB had a solution.  

Ok, how about some clone consoles? Lol!

Seriously though, all of those games worked on my Retron 5, Retro Freak, Yobo, Analogue Nt, etc.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:33:19 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania

Ok, how about some clone consoles? Lol!

Seriously though, all of those games worked on my Retron 5, Retro Freak, Yobo, Analogue Nt, etc.

Yobo lol. I got one in a game lot a few yes back it started smoking when I plug it in and turned it on worst clone ever!

My Ebay Listings

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:59:37 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
RetroUSB AVS: at least we won't burn your house down.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:02:24 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Retro Freak doesn't count. You need an adapter for it to play NES. The Honeybee does the heavy lifting.  

Retron 5 needed firmware updates to improve its joke of a compatibility rate (and it took a long time to roll them out), Analogue Nt scraped up carts, Yobos apparently explode. All NES clones have had their issues.  

You make fair points, but all companies seem to have their ups and downs.

Edited: 10/21/2017 at 02:10 AM by Tulpa

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:49:09 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania

Retro Freak doesn't count. You need an adapter for it to play NES. The Honeybee does the heavy lifting.  

Retron 5 needed firmware updates to improve its joke of a compatibility rate (and it took a long time to roll them out), Analogue Nt scraped up carts, Yobos apparently explode. All NES clones have had their issues.  

You make fair points, but all companies seem to have their ups and downs.

I damaged two games on a Retorn 5 do to the connector sucking.  

My Ebay Listings

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:19:13 AM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
My Yobo literally smoked and died, Retron 5 died within a week and I returned it, so no more examples from me!

Viva La AVS!

It works, won't scrape up your carts, blow up your house, or die within a week. RetroUsb has my permission to use that for advertising 😂