Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Adventures of Bayou Billy, The Contest ends Sunday, 4/23/17 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:57:57 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Nice score Guts.  
I will give it another try tonight to see if I can improve my score a bit.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:06:54 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
188,600 - Loop 2, stage 6

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 04/19/2017 at 01:54 PM by mbd39

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:07:31 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I'm thrilled at my first score submission. We've already set the bar high for this week with these scores.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:20:27 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I could have gotten over 100k and possibly beaten the game without continuing had I not died so much on the driving stages. I made it to stage 6 with two lives, beat that stage without dying, died once on stage 7 boss, and then finally game over'd on stage 8.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:40:41 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Haves     |     Wants

Edited: 04/23/2017 at 10:14 PM by Stryphos

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:42:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Great score, Michael.  
I am pretty sure soon you will be looping this game.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:45:40 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Great score, Michael.  
I am pretty sure soon you will be looping this game.

I agree. If you can get that far,you can beat it. Only a matter of time.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:46:28 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Oh yeah this is a beat em up eh? Hope I can beat this one lol.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:54:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Gloves

It's not easy.

As far as NES beat em ups go, it's not nearly as tough as Battletoads (painful final boss fight aside), but it's significantly harder than the first two Double Dragons. There's no tricky platforming, just incredibly aggravating driving stages.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:08:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mbd39

It's not easy.

As far as NES beat em ups go, it's not nearly as tough as Battletoads (painful final boss fight aside), but it's significantly harder than the first two Double Dragons. There's no tricky platforming, just incredibly aggravating driving stages.

Kind of strange that they put them back to back,but I guess it makes sense considering the gradual progression from the swamps to the city.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:14:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

It's not easy.

Kind of strange that they put them back to back,but I guess it makes sense considering the gradual progression from the swamps to the city.

I've found that it's best to cheese the second driving stage by taking it very sloooooooooooowly and just letting the timer run out. You hardly even get punished for running out of time and then it resets to 99 seconds so that you can take it slowly the rest of the stage with no issues.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:17:36 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

Originally posted by: Krunch

I'm already loving this game, Bayou Billy is a gator fighting badass. I really want to beat this

I LOVE your new sig!

Damn, it's a real thing.

http://bayoubillypopcorn.com/

Damn straight! 

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:26:28 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
battle toads is much easier imo.

the beat em up portion of this game is frustrating. in battle toads you approach an enemy and beat the hell out of them.

in bayou billy you try to approach an enemy only to have them do some random walking around you bull shit. so i have to chase them down, try to get an attack in, that slmost always results in billy getting attacked and taking damage. wtf.

im really not motivated to play this. sandafloor i forfeit the beat em up challenge just pick the avatar now  

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:31:17 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

the beat em up portion of this game is frustrating. in battle toads you approach an enemy and beat the hell out of them.

in bayou billy you try to approach an enemy only to have them do some random walking around you bull shit. so i have to chase them down, try to get an attack in, that slmost always results in billy getting attacked and taking damage. wtf.

im really not motivated to play this. sandafloor i forfeit the beat em up challenge just pick the avatar now  

Battletoads has a bunch of different stuff that is much harder than Bayou Billy.

Once you understand how the enemy AI works in Bayou Billy and know the strats, it's not that bad. You shouldn't be losing any lives until stage 3 (because of the boss fight) or 4. I recommend watching some Youtube videos.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:37:37 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Battletoads has a bunch of different stuff that is much harder than Bayou Billy.

Once you understand how the enemy AI works in Bayou Billy and know the strats, it's not that bad. You shouldn't be losing any lives until stage 3 (because of the boss fight) or 4. I recommend watching some Youtube videos.

Although the AI seems ultra aggressive (and in some cases it is) it's actually pretty dumb.

I find it funny that one of the most aggressive enemies in the game is the very first guy. It perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the game,like....hope you packed your lunch,you're going to need it.

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 04:39 PM by gutsman004

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:37:50 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
The main problem with Bayou Billy is that everything takes so much damage to kill.
You have to jump kick or kick or punch everyone just too many times.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:40:01 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

i keep hearing "once you learn the ai" well, i dont think i have the patience. its like reading. not fun in the first place, so if i cant figure it out quick i have a hard time staying focused. 

to me it just looks like the enemies randomly come at you like a magnet, attack, then walk around random making billy chase them and attack when billy gets close. 

then those rock throwing guys...wtf... forget that. 

its like that "cheap" difficult that guts always...mentions   im suprised he likes this game because its chinsey as hell. 

aaaahhh ...let it go skinny. go watch a youtube video...

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:40:38 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

The main problem with Bayou Billy is that everything takes so much damage to kill.
You have to jump kick or kick or punch everyone just too many times.

Even more in the second loop. I swear the helicopter boss took like 4,000 hits. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:42:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Although the AI seems ultra aggressive (and in some cases it is) it's actually pretty dumb.

I find it funny that one of the most aggressive enemies in the game is the very first guy. It perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the game,like....hope you packed your lunch,you're going to need it.

Those first guys are tough. You just have to survive until you can get to the meat.

The second fighting stage is actually shorter and easier than the first except for the boss. Bayou Abobo is annoying.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:42:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

i keep hearing "once you learn the ai" well, i dont think i have the patience. its like reading. not fun in the first place, so if i cant figure it out quick i have a hard time staying focused. 

to me it just looks like the enemies randomly come at you like a magnet, attack, then walk around random making billy chase them and attack when billy gets close. 

its like that "cheap" difficult that guts always...mentions   im suprised he likes this game because its chinsey as hell. 

Heh,well it's a Konami game....I tend to pop gaming boners for those.  

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 04:42 PM by gutsman004

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:48:54 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I dunno how far you've gotten, but it's the driving stages where the game becomes "cheap." You can't even simultaneously shoot and throw grenades so prepare to die when an enemy car and airplane/helicopter are both in front of you at the same time. That second driving stage can kiss my ass.

The beat em up sections are managable.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:18:26 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I dunno how far you've gotten, but it's the driving stages where the game becomes "cheap." You can't even simultaneously shoot and throw grenades so prepare to die when an enemy car and airplane/helicopter are both in front of you at the same time. That second driving stage can kiss my ass.

the "beat em up" sections are horrid imo. its like shooting in the dark. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:19:48 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Didn't take this too seriously... this game really frustrates me, not to say that it's bad. That's likely to be my only score this week. Have fun everybody!

Edited: 04/18/2017 at 11:20 AM by barrels

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21:52 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

99% of the time I die in either stage it's due to running into a car,specifically when trying to shoot it going into a turn. Seems like the cars love to find that sweet spot to right when you turn so the bullets aren't directed at them. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:25:15 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, trying to loop the game twice before the end of the day.
At some point this week shark week is supposed to start, and this game and being easily enraged don't go along too well, so I better make most of I can today and tomorrow.