Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Kid Kool Prototype - Info? I'm searching for any information/History on the Kid Kool Prototype

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:58:19 PM
yankeetrash (0)
(Dennis D) < Cherub >
California
A couple years ago, I aquired a Kid Kool cart with a crappy black and white printed label on front and back.  I just assumed that some kid made his own label becaus the original was ruined.  Until today, when I saw the same game with the same crappy printed label sell for nearly $200 on ebay.  
    I am almost certain that I have a Proto-Cart but I cannot find any info on a Kid Kool Prototype, anywhere online.
Does anybody have specific info or history on this prototype?  Is there a way, in game, to tell the difference from the prototype and actual game?  
   Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:00:34 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Looks kinda like a proto will not be able to tell with out pics of the board. As for ways to tell in game i dunno

-------------------------

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:24:05 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
It's a proto, I have seen that exact label.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:35:03 PM
yankeetrash (0)
(Dennis D) < Cherub >
California
What is the difference on the board with Protos?

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:56:47 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Expect to find EPROMs or similar with an exposed hole, or a sticker over them usually with an abbreviation of the game's name or similar. Just google NES prototype and images will give you an idea.
To find out differences, you will have to play through the game and find them yourself vs. a retail version of the same game.
Cool to see another prototype. Wish I won that auction.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:44:12 AM
yankeetrash (0)
(Dennis D) < Cherub >
California
Thanks for the info. I actually picked this up in the wild for next to nothing. I didn't realize until recently that it was a proto. I just wish there was more known about this particular one. I suppose its up to me to figure it out.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:39:04 AM
steven78 (118)
(--- ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
there is a picture of the proto in the NA database, the one is sold on ebay had the same pcb and chips. you can compair it to those and your shure.

3195A ROCKS  & Wanted List

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:32:16 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Steven is right^
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it is the same one, it looks like it has gone through some great wear since last photographed in 2012.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Edited: 02/23/2016 at 07:34 PM by Skorp

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:13:18 PM
yankeetrash (0)
(Dennis D) < Cherub >
California
I finally took it apart. The board looks identical. I also compared it to the recent ebay listing that just sold. That picture on the listing was better. It seems to be legit. It's definitely not the same exact cart from the NA database. The back label on mine is missing the stripe above where it says VIC TOKAI INC. But, I'm convinced its a real prototype.
What are your opinions on possibly restoring the label to better condition? I'm sure there's a simple non damaging way to flatten and restore the bubbling label on front. Or should just leave it alone?

Edited: 02/23/2016 at 08:15 PM by yankeetrash

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:43:42 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
I would just leave it alone.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:24:59 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: yankeetrash

I finally took it apart. The board looks identical. I also compared it to the recent ebay listing that just sold. That picture on the listing was better. It seems to be legit. It's definitely not the same exact cart from the NA database. The back label on mine is missing the stripe above where it says VIC TOKAI INC. But, I'm convinced its a real prototype.
What are your opinions on possibly restoring the label to better condition? I'm sure there's a simple non damaging way to flatten and restore the bubbling label on front. Or should just leave it alone?

100% leave it alone.  There is basically no way you could fix it without making it worse.

Plus, if you are looking to sell most proto collectors will want something that is Un-altered I can guarentee it.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:19:07 PM
yankeetrash (0)
(Dennis D) < Cherub >
California
Okay. Leavin' in alone! haha! Thanks for all the info and advice everyone.
Like I said before, if anyone has any knowledge of "in game differences" or "History" of this proto, please let me know. I've never knew much about these carts,
and now that I realized I have one, I'm super interested.
-cheers

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:26:36 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
If you don't have a device to back it up to your computer (CopyNES or Kazzo work), your best bet of finding differences will be by just playing the game. Not sure when this prototype was assembled relative to the original release, but since this was originally a Japanese game, the best place to look for differences will likely be in the localization and translation.

I have a prototype of the Japanese version and, if I remember correctly, it has a built-in level select and some change in the copyright info. The US proto could have a level select as well, but I do not know.