Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Powerpak thread Links, Incompatibility list, Mappers, Tips, Troubleshooting, Downloads

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:17:17 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Does anyone else have a NES power pack that is
A: noisy, like makes your screen buzz more than other games
and/or b: look like crap in a top loader?? 
I feel as though over the last few years it’s worsened on mine.

-------------------------

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Edited: 03/15/2018 at 07:19 PM by DaneNES

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:16:20 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: DaneNES

Does anyone else have a NES power pack that is
A: noisy, like makes your screen buzz more than other games
and/or b: look like crap in a top loader?? 
I feel as though over the last few years it’s worsened on mine.

Mine has always had some level of screen whine in the menu, specially when there is a lot of text on screen. I have not tried mine in a top loader.

May 20, 2018 at 1:11:13 AM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Has anyone gotten the rom for the Chinese bootleg game Titenic to work? All I'm getting is the initial splash screen; I can't get the game to start.

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wik...

Jan 21 at 4:16:19 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
How do you get .fds files to work on Powerpak without getting the "bad file header" prompt?
EDIT; in fact, if someone has good knowledge of powerpak mappers function, like the FDS bios and the SNES files i see in the root txt, i have several quesitons id like to ask . that is if you can stomach explaining to a 'competent' moron. here or PM me is fine. thnks! i dont feel im using it to its full potetial, and just reading without being able to clearify things in the setup guide isnt working out for me. 

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 12:52 PM by DaneNES

Jan 26 at 12:48:09 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico

How do you get .fds files to work on Powerpak without getting the "bad file header" prompt?
EDIT; in fact, if someone has good knowledge of powerpak mappers function, like the FDS bios and the SNES files i see in the root txt, i have several quesitons id like to ask . that is if you can stomach explaining to a 'competent' moron. here or PM me is fine. thnks! i dont feel im using it to its full potetial, and just reading without being able to clearify things in the setup guide isnt working out for me. 

Hello! just saw your PM. I really don't know much about that. What I can say though, is that FDS games work for me for the most part, except multidisk games. I believe the problem are the ROM images you are using. You must get ones that have no header (clean of any additions by the dumper). I will send you a PM that may help you.

Jan 26 at 8:35:04 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

FDS has no header. Error might be from not having the FDS BIOS file. The one that is included in the file set is actually just a  blank place holder file. You need to download/provide your own FDS BIOS before they will work. 

Jan 26 at 10:46:09 AM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Mog

FDS has no header. Error might be from not having the FDS BIOS file. The one that is included in the file set is actually just a  blank place holder file. You need to download/provide your own FDS BIOS before they will work. 

Do I put the bios in that placeholder or make a new folder?
Is that snes file also a placeholder? 

Edited: 01/26/2019 at 10:46 AM by DaneNES

Jan 26 at 12:03:43 PM
loopy (0)

(- o.O -) < Cherub >
Utah
FYI - I updated the FDS mapper for Powerpak recently, fixing mistakes in the audio. You can get it at http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpa...

Jan 26 at 8:35:18 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

Hello! just saw your PM. I really don't know much about that. What I can say though, is that FDS games work for me for the most part, except multidisk games. I believe the problem are the ROM images you are using. You must get ones that have no header (clean of any additions by the dumper). I will send you a PM that may help you.
Yes, you can generally check for the presence of a header based on the number of bytes that Windows reports.

Single side disks (64 kbytes) should be 65536 bytes with no header. If windows reports 65552 bytes, then the ROM has a 16-byte iNES header.

Dual side disks (128kbytes) likewise will be 131072 bytes with no header. If windows reports 131088 bytes, then the ROM has a 16-byte iNES header.

To remove header, you need a hex editor and basic editing skill. Highlight the first sixteen bytes of the ROM (offsets $00-$0F), and delete it. Resave, being careful not to overwite the original ROM until you know it works.

I believe the Everdrive works with or without the headers for .FDS files, but the FDS audio drivers on the Everdrive are less accurate than PowerPak.

Take care,
Kosmic.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jan 27 at 12:10:41 AM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Yes, you can generally check for the presence of a header based on the number of bytes that Windows reports.

Single side disks (64 kbytes) should be 65536 bytes with no header. If windows reports 65552 bytes, then the ROM has a 16-byte iNES header.

Dual side disks (128kbytes) likewise will be 131072 bytes with no header. If windows reports 131088 bytes, then the ROM has a 16-byte iNES header.

To remove header, you need a hex editor and basic editing skill. Highlight the first sixteen bytes of the ROM (offsets $00-$0F), and delete it. Resave, being careful not to overwite the original ROM until you know it works.

I believe the Everdrive works with or without the headers for .FDS files, but the FDS audio drivers on the Everdrive are less accurate than PowerPak.

Take care,
Kosmic.

Fantastic! Thank you!

Feb 06 at 10:38:11 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: loopy

FYI - I updated the FDS mapper for Powerpak recently, fixing mistakes in the audio. You can get it at http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

Whoah, I almost missed this. Thanks loopy!

Feb 06 at 11:05:52 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
just updated the first post, erasing and replacing broken links

Feb 12 at 10:23:10 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
I'm having trouble getting the homebrew game Twin Dragons to work on my PowerPak. I get File Not Found! when I try to start the game. :-(

Can someone else test this game and see what happens? Thanks in advance!

Feb 13 at 10:36:00 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: WaverBoy

I'm having trouble getting the homebrew game Twin Dragons to work on my PowerPak. I get File Not Found! when I try to start the game. :-(

Can someone else test this game and see what happens? Thanks in advance!

I'll check it out, can you send me the link to get the game via private message? will also serve as a reminder  

Feb 13 at 2:36:56 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
Glutock pointed me in the right direction on a Twin Dragons thread in The Brewery. Mapper 30 is the answer, linked to in this thread:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtop...

Specifically, it's Mapper 30 by Bananmos (his "Toy Project" linked to in his post on that thread) that does the trick; NovaSquirrel's Mapper 30 apparently doesn't work properly with Twin Dragons. Perhaps the link to Bananmos' mapper can be put in your original post on this thread for reference if you get his permission?

You can buy the Twin Dragons rom download here if you want to check it out, and you should because it's an awesome game:

https://www.brokestudio.fr/en/sho...

Thank you for all you do in keeping this valuable thread up-to-date and for offering to help!

Feb 14 at 4:10:15 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico

Glutock pointed me in the right direction on a Twin Dragons thread in The Brewery. Mapper 30 is the answer, linked to in this thread:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17907

Specifically, it's Mapper 30 by Bananmos (his "Toy Project" linked to in his post on that thread) that does the trick; NovaSquirrel's Mapper 30 apparently doesn't work properly with Twin Dragons. Perhaps the link to Bananmos' mapper can be put in your original post on this thread for reference if you get his permission?

You can buy the Twin Dragons rom download here if you want to check it out, and you should because it's an awesome game:

https://www.brokestudio.fr/en/shop/twin-dragons-2/

Thank you for all you do in keeping this valuable thread up-to-date and for offering to help!

I'll check that, thanks!

Feb 14 at 4:12:09 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico

I'll check that, thanks!

So with that mapper I can surely play this in the Powerpak, right? Just before I buy the ROM

Feb 14 at 5:00:15 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington

I'll check that, thanks!

So with that mapper I can surely play this in the Powerpak, right? Just before I buy the ROM
I haven't been able to personally confirm it yet (I've been at my girlfriend's house for a couple of days without my beloved NES) but it was confirmed by peeps on that NesDev thread.

Feb 14 at 5:01:28 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
I will be able to confirm it personally tomorrow though.

Feb 16 at 6:41:01 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico

Hello! where you able to try it?

Feb 16 at 10:19:07 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance; I will be home again tomorrow and will try it then and report back.

Feb 18 at 3:01:51 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington

Hello! where you able to try it?
Damn.  Using that mapper, the game boots up and runs now, the title screen and opening cut scenes play fine, but when you start the gameplay it's broken and unplayable as seen in this screenshot I just took; I posted my results on the NesDev thread and will see if anyone has any ideas...

Edited: 02/18/2019 at 03:33 PM by WaverBoy

Feb 18 at 3:04:25 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
Also, the Twin Dragons rom doesn't appear to work with the PowerMappers; I hit Start and Select simultaneously and it doesn't go to the PowerMappers menu, it just pauses the game.

Edited: 02/18/2019 at 03:20 PM by WaverBoy

Feb 23 at 3:32:19 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
OK, Rainwarrior at the NesDev forums came up with the answer to making the Twin Dragons ROM work on the PowerPak using Bananmos's Mapper 30:

"Looking at Bananmos' verlog, it looks like it supports 1-screen and 4-screen but the assignments are backwards, unfortunately. So, if you have a hex editor, you can change a single bit in the ROM to make it work with the backwards assignment. Byte $6 (the 7th byte) of the iNES ROM should be $E8. Change it to $E9 and it should work."

And lo and behold, it does!

Load the Twin Dragons ROM into a hex editor and the first eight bytes read thusly:

4E45531A 2000E810

Change the 7th byte from E8 to E9 so that you have:

4E45531A 2000E910

Save the file, load onto your PowerPak, and presto! It now works using Bananmos's Mapper 30. All you PowerPakkers may now buy the ROM with confidence; it just needs a quick edit!

Edited: 02/23/2019 at 03:34 PM by WaverBoy

Feb 23 at 8:01:24 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: loopy

FYI - I updated the FDS mapper for Powerpak recently, fixing mistakes in the audio. You can get it at http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

Hello loopy! do you know why some FDS games (like Doki Doki Panic) skip the intro screen so quickly even if I do not press any button.