Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Should I sell Stadium Events for $2000?

LOCKED TOPIC

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:21:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Didn't the last one sell for $999 to Mark? lol of course the next SE will sell higher than that, and I'd make that bet giving 10:1 or better odds.

Good grief!  Was it really that low?

I thought the thing was still in the $1500 range.

-------------------------

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:23:47 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Not for a while at open auction, it's barely crested $1200.

And considering Xmas is coming up, I'd say it is a sure bet it would sell around that level very soon if one were to pop up.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:24:37 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

My other thought on this is that rarity is so hard to judge on items where so FEW are known to exist. Think about why SE prices on Carts came down after I paid the record for that cart. It's because so many suddenly became available. However SO many was what 10 or less... and of those I know at least 3 of them that were traded 2 or more times so that cuts the actual number of them further. Now if speculators are successful in coming in now and picking up some of the limited supply of the rarest titles and putting them away and not touching them for 5+ years they are basically LOST to the collecting community until they decide to break them out and cash in. Your arguement that it's such a small percentage that become valuable. I AGREE with you. Of the NES set, I'm just using round numbers here, lets say 725 titles I'm talking about maybe 10-15 so that's 1% of the entire library that I believe will continue to increase in price over time. I agree that 80%+ of the collection will always be filler and does not have to go up in value at all and most likely won't by too much. But that top 1% I believe will. Let's look at the lists we keep here for the top few rares. Let's say a rare title that would fit into this 1% I'm talking about has 15 people here who have one. Let's triple that and say there are 45 nice copies out there to be had. So if the speculators come in and are successful in eliminating 20 of those copies from the marketplace for years to come and there are only 25 copies that trade hands it's going to go up unless everyone just stops collecting video games period. Then when the people who put them away bring them out they stand to make a profit and the people who pay the high prices then will probably be the ones who are at the biggest potential for loss. Until the next go round happens. Comics and Old Sports cards couldn't get up to the high prices they are unless there weren't enough to go around. With CIB SE, Myriad, etc... there just aren't!

Yeah.   Its pretty simple really.  It comes down to what's bragworthy. 

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:25:19 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
The problem with using me overpaying for that cart is 2-fold:
1) That was the last cart I needed to complete my cart collection leaving me with just the Box and Book for SE to have everything completed CIB. So I would have paid any amount for it. Just wait till the next guy in my spot or even just the next guy who only needs SE to complete his cart set who's had to wait more than a few months to get it wants it as bad as I did.
2) I didn't tell you how much of a loss I took or any of the circumstances. Mike and I have worked at least 20+ deals over the years and I offered it to him at a price under what I paid and we ended up working out a deal where after 3 or 4 parts of the deals I ended up with all the black cart rarities for Color Dreams/Bunch Games I needed and about 100 sealed mint NES games from him and he got the SE and some cash. If you look at what the sealed games have appreciated in value since we made this deal, I'm still happy with it and I'd say I'm ahead.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:25:36 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Didn't the last one sell for $999 to Mark? lol of course the next SE will sell higher than that, and I'd make that bet giving 10:1 or better odds.

that was kind of a fluke and I'd be willing to exclude that particular sale.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:27:40 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

The problem with using me overpaying for that cart is 2-fold:
1) That was the last cart I needed to complete my cart collection leaving me with just the Box and Book for SE to have everything completed CIB. So I would have paid any amount for it. Just wait till the next guy in my spot or even just the next guy who only needs SE to complete his cart set who's had to wait more than a few months to get it wants it as bad as I did.
2) I didn't tell you how much of a loss I took or any of the circumstances. Mike and I have worked at least 20+ deals over the years and I offered it to him at a price under what I paid and we ended up working out a deal where after 3 or 4 parts of the deals I ended up with all the black cart rarities for Color Dreams/Bunch Games I needed and about 100 sealed mint NES games from him and he got the SE and some cash. If you look at what the sealed games have appreciated in value since we made this deal, I'm still happy with it and I'd say I'm ahead.

honestly dude, who cares?  so you overpaid at the time for a cart.   I've overpaid for stuff I wanted too and in the long run its nearly always worked out.     you will eventually be fine on that purchase and it might not take that long either.   As long as you are overpaying for a quality item and not win, lose or draw its not that big a deal

EDIT:  having actually, you know, read the entirety of your post now I can see you are already ahead - congrats.

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:29 PM by Bronty

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:28:08 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
I would have had the bitch in the mail yesterday, and offered $1500 for a replacement today.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:29:43 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Originally posted by: Bronty

Yeah.   Its pretty simple really.  It comes down to what's bragworthy. 

Ha you summed up my entire paragraph in 11 words and I could not AGREE with you more!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:30:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
It would be a sucker's bet to take the wager at only $1 over. A $100 window would be more reasonable since that mutes out a lot of the noise on a low volume item.

Erik - I agree that for people who collect for "value", sealed game collecting is the only real option and is most analogous to the comic book/card metaphor in terms of rarity and fragility of the items.

EDIT to add: and I wasn't ragging on you for overpaying.  I was just making the point that a single buyer can't meaningfully affect the cart price on any sale but their own.  It's a low volume business, but the volume is obviously high enough on this particular title that fluke sales settle to the norm pretty quickly. (unlike NWC gold, for instance)

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:32 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:34:03 PM
tacolinowest (11)
(john t) < El Ripper >
New York
i am looking to buy SE and myriad, been lookin for a while, but not offering that money, 900 for myriad and 1300 for SE, might as well post it here, try my luck, and as for you selling for 2000, i dont think anyone else will ever offer you 2k for a cart only SE, so idk

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:39:40 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It would be a sucker's bet to take the wager at only $1 over. A $100 window would be more reasonable

Fine, but then I'm not giving you odds.  how much?

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:40:51 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

Nope.  My copy was purchased for $1,024 including shipping (although picked up in person, I didn't care) and was purchased just a week before for less than $100 more than it was sold to me.  Many people would have taken your 10:1 on the sale before mine and cleaned up

Parpunk's copy was sold after mine for $1,500 and as far as I know is the most recent sale.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:43:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It would be a sucker's bet to take the wager at only $1 over. A $100 window would be more reasonable

At $100 I'd still want the odds since you seem so confident in your position

Anyway, I didn't realize the average price had been pushed down in the $1200 range.  My original thinking was that the thing had continued to hover around $1500, which I don't see it exceeding in the foreseeable future.  But if Tacolinowest actually snagged a copy for $1300 I'd lose versus the current average, anyway, even with the $100 spot.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:51:19 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Found the sale before mine, it ended for $1,029: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Then I got mine (the same one resold) for $1,024: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

In body EDIT:  Apparently, my purchase marked the 3rd SE to not hit $1.4k in a row on EBay at open auction.  Just an FYI.

The last sale (in our community at least) was for $1.5k

Double Edit:  Masonshushi won the copy sold before the last two sales I have listed for $1,375.  The last 4 sales according to my records are:

Masonsushi:  $1,375
My Seller:  $1,029
Mine:  $1,024
Motherbrain (right?): $1,500

Anyone know any better?

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:57 PM by VGS_MrMark0673

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:56:04 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Found the sale before mine, it ended for $1,029: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=21...

Then I got mine (the same one resold) for $1,024: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...

In body EDIT:  Apparently, my purchase marked the 3rd SE to not hit $1.4k in a row on EBay at open auction.  Just an FYI.

Gotta clarify open auction here....

Starting bid of $999 is hardly an open auction and he lost a lot of page views.  High starting prices ruins an auction 9 times out of 10.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:58:31 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Found the sale before mine, it ended for $1,029: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=21...

Then I got mine (the same one resold) for $1,024: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

Gotta clarify open auction here....

Starting bid of $999 is hardly an open auction and he lost a lot of page views.  High starting prices ruins an auction 9 times out of 10.

Still an open auction regardless of start price.  I listed 3 open auctions and one private sale, the 3 open auctions all ended for less (and in 2 cases, far less) than the private sale.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:12:38 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Anyway, I didn't realize the average price had been pushed down in the $1200 range.  My original thinking was that the thing had continued to hover around $1500, which I don't see it exceeding in the foreseeable future.  But if Tacolinowest actually snagged a copy for $1300 I'd lose versus the current average, anyway, even with the $100 spot.

Forget it.  I could make fifty bucks in the amount of time it will take us to agree to terms

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:18:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Forget it.  I could make fifty bucks in the amount of time it will take us to agree to terms

Yup, I already have

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:21:52 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon

Originally posted by: robin

this is a little off topic, but i will post up bronty all day long

Talk is cheap!   Then again, I am short! 

We'll have to have a northwest NA b-ball 2 on 2 one day - canada (me and maximus) vs. USA ( you and braveheart)

Me and Brave are like a combined 13 feet and 500 pounds.....  or 25 meters and 90 decagrams if my American calculations are spot on.... which they are.

USA USA

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 03:26 PM by Robin Mihara

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:40:16 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
anyway you look at it, the going price for a SE is $1000-$1500. he's being offered 2k. you sell.
odds are you can replace it and make a buck now.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:51:46 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: udisi

anyway you look at it, the going price for a SE is $1000-$1500. he's being offered 2k. you sell.
odds are you can replace it and make a buck now.

You're probably right, but the last SE transaction was 4 months ago in a private sale that went for nearly $500 more than the 2 previous sales..  I wouldn't sell mine for $2k to double my investment, but to each his own.  I do agree with you on the going price, and that is likely what one would reach at open auction, but that might not be enough to pry it away from a collector at the moment if they aren't exactly looking to sell.  I guess it all depends on how long you're willing to wait.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:11:32 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

this is a little off topic, but i will post up bronty all day long

Talk is cheap!   Then again, I am short! 

We'll have to have a northwest NA b-ball 2 on 2 one day - canada (me and maximus) vs. USA ( you and braveheart)

Me and Brave are like a combined 13 feet and 500 pounds.....  or 25 meters and 90 decagrams if my American calculations are spot on.... which they are.

USA USA

but you look so short on those NWC videos!     Hmm sounds like maximus and I might need to call in a ringer

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:14:03 PM
caveman_games (32)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(chris leach) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Sell....Sell....Sell!!!!

"The one who dies with the most toys, Wins!"

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:23:27 PM
g448809 (18)
(J F) < Little Mac >
New Jersey
If you do end up selling it and intend on buying another copy in the future, make sure you put $1500 of that money away so you have enough to buy it next time.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:25:33 PM
caveman_games (32)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(chris leach) < Meka Chicken >
United States
yeah 1500 sounds about right....but I picked mine up for about 80 bucks! Secret is I bought mine along time ago.....

"The one who dies with the most toys, Wins!"