Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Rainbow Islands Contest ends Sunday, 9/14/14 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:07:19 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
babywuchki - 497,100

-------------------------

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:46:05 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
795,900  level 3x4

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:12:09 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Getting the big diamonds and choosing the correct treasure chest after each world can really make or break your game. Prior to this contest, i didn't know that those items were permanent.  If you get the speed up shoes in the chest, you will have them for the rest of that game after every death.  That feather that circles your character and kills any enemy that comes into contact with it is also very convenient.

Also, I think I'm finally understanding the item appearence mechanic, at least for the diamonds.  Killing enemies with your rainbows will usually net you random point items, but crushing them underneath already formed rainbows, or killing them with a random item like the stars or wands, will increase your chance of obtaining diamonds.  Every third enemy you kill also spawns into on of the three standard powerups. 

I wasn't to hot on this game to start off with, but now it's growing on me.  Pretty roguh difficulty curve though.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:19:59 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

Getting the big diamonds and choosing the correct treasure chest after each world can really make or break your game. Prior to this contest, i didn't know that those items were permanent.  If you get the speed up shoes in the chest, you will have them for the rest of that game after every death.  That feather that circles your character and kills any enemy that comes into contact with it is also very convenient.

Also, I think I'm finally understanding the item appearence mechanic, at least for the diamonds.  Killing enemies with your rainbows will usually net you random point items, but crushing them underneath already formed rainbows, or killing them with a random item like the stars or wands, will increase your chance of obtaining diamonds.  Every third enemy you kill also spawns into on of the three standard powerups. 

I wasn't to hot on this game to start off with, but now it's growing on me.  Pretty roguh difficulty curve though.

Killing enemies with stars, lightning, fairies, or "dropped" rainbows should GUARANTEE a diamond (except for every 3rd enemy that gives a useful item).

So score-wise, once you secure your diamonds, you don't want to do that since the normal items are way more valuable once you get crowns and stuff.

I didn't think the chest-treasures were permanent, though.
I read somewhere that to get the permanent items you had to spell R-A-I-N-B-O-W in order to open a secondary hidden room after the boss.  (though i couldn't replicate this myself -- got the right color order but nothing special seemed to happen)

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:15:38 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Killing enemies with stars, lightning, fairies, or "dropped" rainbows should GUARANTEE a diamond (except for every 3rd enemy that gives a useful item).

So score-wise, once you secure your diamonds, you don't want to do that since the normal items are way more valuable once you get crowns and stuff.

I didn't think the chest-treasures were permanent, though.
I read somewhere that to get the permanent items you had to spell R-A-I-N-B-O-W in order to open a secondary hidden room after the boss.  (though i couldn't replicate this myself -- got the right color order but nothing special seemed to happen)

Yeah, I figured out how to optimize scoring after that post.  Makes the game almost too methodical now, and frustrating!

And those treasure chest items you get after defeating bosses and spelling out diamond are permanent.  The effects never wear off when I lose lives later on, not even that feather or the magic spellbook that lets you infinity air jump.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:28:25 PM
knightriderce (115)
(I am Groot ) < El Ripper >
Minnesota

Edited: 09/11/2014 at 09:29 PM by knightriderce

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:50:49 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
It sounds like you guys are mixing up the versions. The hidden room after the boss is not in this , I am pretty sure it's in the arcade. The NES Rainbow Islands the North American port, is by Taito and almost all the other ports are done by Ocean. I figured this out the other day after I was informed that there was another made by Ocean. Thanks Vectrex.

Edited: 09/12/2014 at 02:03 AM by Thundercat08

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:36:46 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

It sounds like you guys are mixing up the versions. The hidden room after the boss is not in this , I am pretty sure it's in the arcade. The NES Rainbow Islands the North American port, is by Taito and almost all the other ports are done by Ocean. I figured this out the other day after I was informed that there was another made by Ocean. Thanks Vectrex.

OK.  But there is definitely a room where you are given a big gem and get to pick between two chests IF you spell RAINBOW.

The FAQ I saw the comment about getting them in order must have been for a different version.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:36:44 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States
Yes there is room where you get to pick a chest if you spell RAINBOW with diamonds during the levels. Do not talk to the person after the boss you will loose you chance to pick a chest.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:09:50 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

931,900 (World 3 Boss)

Best I could do before I leave for the weekend.  I'm bringing my Retro Duo Portable so I might have a chance to play, but I'm betting my wife would not be too pleased. 

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:16:05 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I'm beginning to question the real value of getting RAINBOW spelled.

Wasting half, or more, of each world trying to get gems, rather than churning through the point-sequence of high value items repeatedly seems suboptimal if you aren't going to make it to World 8 anyway.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:16:18 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

Wasting half, or more, of each world trying to get gems, rather than churning through the point-sequence of high value items repeatedly seems suboptimal if you aren't going to make it to World 8 anyway.

It's very valuable as you also get an extra life for spelling rainbow.  The diamonds are a specific color depending on where they land from left to right on screen.  Manipulating when & where you kill enemies will make spelling RAINBOW out much mroe efficient.  Sometimes I'm spelling it out before I clear the first level in each world.  Extra lives = extra points so long as you're not dying immediately or on a boss fight.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:10:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It's very valuable as you also get an extra life for spelling rainbow.  The diamonds are a specific color depending on where they land from left to right on screen.  Manipulating when & where you kill enemies will make spelling RAINBOW out much mroe efficient.  Sometimes I'm spelling it out before I clear the first level in each world.  Extra lives = extra points so long as you're not dying immediately or on a boss fight.

Thanks for the tip on screen position, I had wondered how they wee dictated but hadn't yet noticed that it was dependent on location.

this past run I reached the third boss and had spelled rainbow in all 3 worlds and had my highest score yet, so yeah, worth it.

FYI I think spelling it in order guarantees a 2-up at the end of a world if you open the empty chest, so there is value in getting the order right.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:17:24 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States

Thanks for the tip on screen position, I had wondered how they wee dictated but hadn't yet noticed that it was dependent on location.

this past run I reached the third boss and had spelled rainbow in all 3 worlds and had my highest score yet, so yeah, worth it.

FYI I think spelling it in order guarantees a 2-up at the end of a world if you open the empty chest, so there is value in getting the order right.

I will have to check into the order thing. I never noticed any difference but that means nothing, as I wasn't paying attention.>

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:11:47 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

I will have to check into the order thing. I never noticed any difference but that means nothing, as I wasn't paying attention.>

It definitely seems to be why you can get a consolation prize of a 2-up if you pick the wrong chest.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:11:34 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Edited: 09/14/2014 at 10:09 AM by BilltownSparty

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:49:21 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States
It wouldn't let me quote you arch_8ngle. I tried it and it worked. But it was a pain in ass, not sure if it is worth going out if my way to do. But a nice bonus and I always pick the wrong chest.

Edited: 09/14/2014 at 12:51 AM by Thundercat08

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:47:58 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

Phew! Stage 3X4 is really hard compared to the rest. I even defeated the LVL 3 boss by some miracle, but I met my demise on LVL 4X1

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:30:23 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Level 3 boss is a huge jump in difficulty.

Level 4 boss is even worse, IMO. Haven't figured him out yet.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:47:14 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
World 6X3
Score: 2,582,400

If anyone makes it to this level, it's a real bitch.  Just a heads up.

Also, I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone, but after World 4 the next few world themes are based off of other popular Taito arcade properties. It's a pretty cool homage.

Edited: 09/14/2014 at 09:48 AM by Balloon_Kid

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:09:42 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
slight score update

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:54:40 AM
TriHart (59)
(Riley R) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Damn, I gotta get me involved in these tournaments! They look like a grand ol' time!! Such a small NES collection though! I have a few of the games coming up in the next couple months. Ill play those ones!

DC CIB:                67/254
SMS CIB:               6/114
This is fun!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:28:16 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States
2, 919, 700
Endgame

Edited: 09/14/2014 at 11:29 AM by Thundercat08

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:34:00 PM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas

I had only ever played the PC-Engine version of this game, never the NES.  Pretty fun title, will probably revisit it in the future and try to actually complete it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:54:49 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
had other goals for game time lately but dont want to forget my participation point. hope y'all been doing well.

ri