Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

UnCommon Super Metroid box variant? Found this strange box variant on Ebay, take a look.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:46:15 PM
16BitsOfSNES (0)
(Tom ) < Cherub >
Quebec
Hey guys, new here, but as oppose to introducing myself I wanted to do this topic first. I found this Super Metroid box variant on Ebay a week ago, this is the second one to have popped up. Like most of us SNES collector's know, your standard Super Metroid box and the "Only For" text written on the front, and spines in a green ooze type of font. Well, this box has that yellow triangle Play it Loud era "Only For" Symbol in the top right of the box, and no "Only For" text on the spines. Another thing to note is that this is NOT a player's choice copy either.

Given the instruction manual being in french and english, along with the white little triangle in the top right of the manual's cover, I'm inclined to believe this is some sorta canadian variant, although that's odd as Im in canada and my box is not like this one, nor the manual.

If anyone knows more about this, let me know. Im into this whole variant kinda stuff. Here's the link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Metr...

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:00:41 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < El Ripper >
Wisconsin
Box could be fake, there was a member that was banned from here for making fake boxes and the only for nintendo part is exactly what he changed

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:07:42 PM
umrebel1989 (31)
(John B.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: Everharm

Box could be fake, there was a member that was banned from here for making fake boxes and the only for nintendo part is exactly what he changed

Exactly what I was thinking.  I vote fake, but I could be wrong.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:13:21 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Im interested in this because most of the time fake boxes miss the mark on cardboard color but this one seems to be correct.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:27:27 PM
16BitsOfSNES (0)
(Tom ) < Cherub >
Quebec
Originally posted by: alekx

Im interested in this because most of the time fake boxes miss the mark on cardboard color but this one seems to be correct.

This. Having to admit buying repro boxes as temporarys to get the real deal, they all were white on the inside as they were printed on industrial style business card paper. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:26:33 AM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
Cart and Manual appear to be Canadian. Usually a Canadian box has English and French text, also one of the tabs is all white but you need to open the box to see it. Definitiely not a typical US box.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:35:02 AM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Would need to see the inside to determine whether it's a modern repro or not.

Based on the close-up picture though my gut is telling me it's not a repro (and I'm decently schooled on this subject)... and instead is a foreign variant like was suggested since the manual looks French/Canadian.

I have a French/Canadian version of Tetris 2 and the back of the box for instance has different pictures of gameplay then the American release... so the various versions of games out there DO have differing boxes, so it's possible this is a legit box but just different.

-------------------------
To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:18:29 PM
lojack44 (99)
(Logan M) < Kraid Killer >
California
Yeah I have that same box. It's just the Canadian release version with the orange "only for Nintendo" mark on top. Also the game pics on the back are a bit different, and no "only for Nintendo" on the sides

Edited: 11/01/2014 at 02:33 PM by lojack44

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:25:19 PM
16BitsOfSNES (0)
(Tom ) < Cherub >
Quebec
Originally posted by: lojack44

Yeah I have that same box. It's just the Canadian release version with the orange "only for Nintendo" mark on top.

Now that I know it's real I wanna get this variation. Another 90 or so dollars on uselessness. Damn xD.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:01:57 PM
fahlim003 (5)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Never realized Super Metroid had a Canadian variant - it's certainly seldom seen. Interesting find.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:12:38 PM
16BitsOfSNES (0)
(Tom ) < Cherub >
Quebec
Originally posted by: lojack44

Yeah I have that same box. It's just the Canadian release version with the orange "only for Nintendo" mark on top. Also the game pics on the back are a bit different, and no "only for Nintendo" on the sides

Just for the sake of keeping record I thought I'd take some pics of my box to compare. As you can see, the cover in the top right is noticeably different from lojack44's box, along with the back having a different boss battle in the top left screenshot. I'll also include these pics of a repro box I have lying around. It's very well made, but an obvious fake, along with reproduction written on the back although its not pictured.

Also, Why dont we have a thread for SNES variants? Or do we? Too new to know.

Edited: 11/01/2014 at 03:17 PM by 16BitsOfSNES

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:24:19 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
There is a thread for the cart variations.
The paperwork and packaging is a whole different animal. But it is being attempted.
Here's kind of what we're up agianst:
I have several CIB copies of Street Fighter II. The boxes are all the same except for one small detail, One of the tabs has a white number in the center. I have 4 'variations' one with nothing, a 1, a 4, a 5 & two with a 6
For now keep checking the Database.
There is a Master list I've been working on. Just taking me a really long time to keep at it.

Sep 19 at 3:44:37 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
(Lucio Barbarino) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Hey guys, bumping this thread up. Does anyone know if there is a definitive guide to all the different variants? Which box did the US get? Did we get the orange corner and the "gooey green" "only for"? Which came first?

Listen to my NES-style chiptune soundtrack Visions of the Three!!
——> apebit.bandcamp.com < —— 

Sep 19 at 4:29:07 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
The US only got the gooey green and Player's Choice boxes afaik. There is also a For Display Only box but I don't count that.

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...