Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk DIY PSX Controller - Some Help Needed Looking to build a circuit for digital (non-DualShock) version

Jun 17 at 10:26:59 AM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
(Tommy Osborne) < Tourian Tourist >
New York
While looking into PSX controller emulation (NON-DualShock), I saw that NFG already covered the topic...to a degree (https://gamesx.com/controldata/ps...).

However, the section on building the circuit using "74xx" ICs gives limited info, and his level of tech talk admittedly goes a ways beyond my knowledge. What I'm looking for is the full schematic to read so I know how to build the circuit.

Edited: 06/26/2019 at 09:18 AM by HeadcolorsTV

Jun 17 at 9:34:28 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to emulate a psx controller?

Edited: 06/17/2019 at 09:36 PM by CMR

Jun 18 at 12:40:23 AM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Originally posted by: CMR

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to emulate a psx controller?

Because I'm looking to make arcade-style controllers for the PS1, and to sell them legit, everything in the hardware needs to be new (I can re-wire from an OEM controller, but run into problems when it comes to selling the unit; besides, selling controllers with my own PCBs are MUCH more cost-effective). The IC inside of the OEM controller is Sony-proprietary, and they're near-impossible to find online (unless you wanna try your luck buying direct from China...). So I'm left with two options: burn the interface to a microcontroller (not very cost-effective at all) or figure out the 74XX solution. I can design a pcb, have a very compact one fabricated for cheap, and assemble it myself with no problem.

TL;DR: So I can sell 3rd-party controllers legit.

Jun 26 at 9:19:14 AM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Update:

I think I figured it out...mostly. I'm drawing up a schematic in KiCAD right now, and I only have a few questions:

1. The DATA pin of the controller plug connects to SER OUT, correct?

2. Where does the COMMAND pin of the controller plug connect to? I must've re-read the entire page 15 times and still can't decipher where COMMAND goes.

3. Are the 74HC165 pins not associated with buttons (A1-A8, B1-B8, etc.) left with no connection? Or do they share a connection? COMMAND, maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 26 at 6:29:58 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Here's the schematic I drew up in KiCAD. I'm pretty confident that this is what NFG was going for...aside from that H2 (COMMAND) floating out there all alone. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.