Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

EON Super 64 cable vs. UltraHDMI mod N64 HD options are opening up

Sep 02 at 9:42:38 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
I've seen some YouTube videos talking about this new HDMI compatible cable for the N64, EON super 64 cable, and it looks pretty impressive honestly. I'm already running a couple of UltraHDMI modded systems, and am fully aware of the advantages to this method of playing N64 in HD. But, they've got this thing called slick mode on the EON cable which looks really cool, smoothing out the edges of pixels, I don't think that is something that I can do with my UltraHDMI...

Anyone have experience with both methods, and can share the merits of this EON cable? Most of the reviewers just brush off the UltraHDMI mod in their reviews, saying it's great but too expensive/difficult to do, so it's hard to get a proper comparison of the two. I doubt I will purchase the EON cable, obviously, but it would be nice to find out a little more about it.

Also, any possibility of including slick mode in the next update for Ultra HDMI please?!  

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Sep 26 at 8:07:38 PM
thebee78 (0)

< Cherub >
The slick mode seems to be a fullscreen smoothing filter which can make some text look bad.

Sep 28 at 11:23:47 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
There are a couple of different filters that you can apply to the video output using the Ultra HDMI mod. However, most of these seem to be aimed at sharpening pixels and removing blurring effects to get a cleaner, if more "blocky", image.

Personally, I actually don't like most of the visual filters and effects you can apply on the Ultra HDMI, apart from fast interlacing which actually works pretty good.

I would be interested to see if some sort of slick-mode equivalent could be implemented for the next update of the Ultra HDMI, I would imagine it would be possible.

Other than that, I would still be interested to know how good the cable is versus the mod. I'm not likely to buy one given my current setup, but it is always good to know what's out there, for the sake of future reference.

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***