Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is the original Game Boy the G.O.A.T

Mar 31 at 10:27:39 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Originally posted by: Splain

Many of of us here on NA would agree (or SHOULD agree) that the NES is not the GOAT.
FTFY. I agree!

You're a goat 

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 31 at 11:03:05 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Many of of us here on NA would agree (or SHOULD agree) that the NES is not the GOAT.
FTFY. I agree!

You're a goat 

SNES sux!

Mar 31 at 11:46:21 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
I genuinely marvel at a good troll thread. I don't understand how to straddle that line of absurd-yet-believable, and I agree with Brock--consider my hat tipped.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Mar 31 at 11:48:16 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

No, what I said is that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has beat all 100 levels of it.
-- Ah yeah I totally misread that. Also I think there are 1000 levels. Insane, just like the NES version.

I'm still not understanding what the big deal with color is? Color really doesn't make the game for me. In fact, it can be a negative in most cases.
-- A game being in color can be a negative in most cases? I can't agree there.

You can't tell me you prefer The legend of Zelda to links awakening, just because of the color.
And let's compare links awakening on gb to the new switch version, has that improved?
-- Right on. Link's Awakening is a dope game, color or not. A Switch remake is a further testament to its greatness.

I love the black and white estetic and can appreciate the sprites a lot more.
To me it is more about the detail they put into the graphics.
--Sure. I like the GB sprites too, but it's not like they're better BECAUSE they don't have color. Some can be interesting in their use of the 4-color palette, but modern games don't all use monochrome sprites because they're better that way. Still, we totally agree that GB graphical limitations rarely get in the way of the gameplay. One exception is the screen resolution vs. the sprite resolution. To make Mario or Mega Man or Samus as detailed as they are, they have to make them relatively big compared to the screen, so the levels are more "zoomed-in" than their NES counterparts, which can make some games trickier. Though how many people would have brought it up if there wasn't a NES game to compare to? Hard to say.

As far as Klax is concerned, you picked the one game that depends on color as a crucial part of the gameplay element. lol, that was never going to end well.
--Naw man, color is a common gameplay element in lots of puzzle games. Breakthru!, Palamedes, and Gear Works are others that are easier to play on color-system versions. Especially Palamedes, that becomes a very different game when you have to rely so heavily on the numbers. But I'm glad those GB versions exist, I'd hate for a dev to decide against porting their game to GB just because of the monochrome. They all seemed to make it work ok in the games I've played.

Apr 01 at 1:01:49 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

To make Mario or Mega Man or Samus as detailed as they are, they have to make them relatively big compared to the screen, so the levels are more "zoomed-in" than their NES counterparts, which can make some games trickier. Though how many people would have brought it up if there wasn't a NES game to compare to? Hard to say.

A lot of Super Nintendo games have sprites that are too big and it really bugs me. Batman Returns, for instance.

Apr 01 at 8:08:30 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: gunpei

To make Mario or Mega Man or Samus as detailed as they are, they have to make them relatively big compared to the screen, so the levels are more "zoomed-in" than their NES counterparts, which can make some games trickier. Though how many people would have brought it up if there wasn't a NES game to compare to? Hard to say.

A lot of Super Nintendo games have sprites that are too big and it really bugs me. Batman Returns, for instance.

Don't you dare speak ill of that game.

Apr 01 at 8:59:19 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
No. Decent handheld though.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 01 at 9:26:49 AM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
If the GB was the best then the games wouldnt be cheap  

KDDK Player  

Edited: 04/01/2019 at 09:27 AM by Wheelcakes

Apr 01 at 9:38:06 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I do have the say that I think the system, hand's down wins as the "best ever" in one category-- these things are tanks and for consoles can take a beating.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Apr 01 at 11:58:56 AM
aquaticiguana (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
Best handheld is obviously the ngage.

Apr 01 at 1:25:08 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: aquaticiguana

Or R-Zone. Or is that a head-held?

Apr 01 at 1:29:10 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: aquaticiguana

Or R-Zone. Or is that a head-held?

It's a portable.

Apr 01 at 1:51:13 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

3DS > DS > GBA > GB > GBC

Switch will most likely take the top spot when its run is over. Hell, it may have already.

This is what I think ^^

www.videogamesage.com...

Apr 01 at 2:04:02 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Quaze

Switch will most likely take the top spot when its run is over. Hell, it may have already.

This is what I think ^^

in terms of which systems have the best library of games, mine is

DS > 3DS > GBA And then GBC and gb are pretty even

But 3DS would win if you're counting all the games that system can possibly play with backwards compatibility being a thing

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 01 at 2:56:54 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: Quaze

This is what I think ^^

in terms of which systems have the best library of games, mine is DS > 3DS > GBA And then GBC and gb are pretty even But 3DS would win if you're counting all the games that system can possibly play with backwards compatibility being a thing

I actually agree with that (along with the reasoning) even more lol.

www.videogamesage.com...

Apr 01 at 8:58:27 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
You guys do know how to edit quotes so they aren’t a mile long right?

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Apr 03 at 3:44:13 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

The reasons:
- a focus on mechanics, without distractions.
- many games are the best you can find anywhere on any system
- Region-free
- the best, most interesting platform games of all time
- still cheap to collect for. if you are collecting games as an investment, this might not appeal to you, but if you crave the purity of the hobby game boy is right up your alley. Not only because it is cheap, but because many games are a chllenge to find so the treasure hunting aspect is there.
-  Nostalgia. You can final many of the great arcade game versions here.
- pinnacle of puzzle games.

The game boy really does have it all. I first purchased the Super NT to play super nintendo games about 8 months ago. And while I started collecting snes games, I began to think about game boy games. For some reason, the monochrome appealed to me. So, I decided something. I bought a Super Gameboy 2, and collected my first gameboy game, which was Gauntlet 2 and never looked back.

I am not certain I would go to greatest of all time, but I know a good argument could be made for it.  I kind of wish you hadn't gone there, but seeing the responses I hope more people take that kind of attitude and continue to just thing of the gameboy as second class gaming.  Gameboy is kind of in this happy place where only a small margin of the games have been hit by reseller greed compared to the other Nintendo branded products.  I would like it more than anything to stay that way.  Sure it's a handheld, and yes the resolution is a little worse than even the NES did, but the games there aren't any lesser and in some cases are greater versions of the same named titles.  But going beyond the shared games there are so many unique releases, some truly fantastic titles and they still don't command much at all, let alone even as a match to what they originally priced at either which is good.  The system works great for someone on a budget, and even if you're getting old and the eyes fail on the little thing  you can always rely on a Super Gameboy or Gameboy Player to do it anyway.  Unlike you though I don't differentiate between the GB or GBC as it's the same hardware in the end, just cranked up an extra notch for the non-hybrid releases.  In the big picture though I see the entire Gameboy brand as one long continuation through the Advance, and with that I would feel far more comfortable saying greatest of all time, especially including the non-US titles into the mix too.