Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew World Championships 2012 - it's finally released and available for purchase today. Now available at Retrousb.com.. Manual available in first post for download.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:10:08 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Uh Robin, my user ID is GWYNDION not GWENDION. As if my name didn't sound feminine enough...

-------------------------

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:12:24 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: RetroNESNerd

Originally posted by: Paul

Ohh neat idea.

Any contest would require a picture of the score screen with the nintendo and cart visable, as with the dip switches it would be easy for someone to say that got 3 million if they were using the max possible time.

I dunno, we'll work on a contest for this later.

I was thinking we would just get someone in a NA bus/van of sorts and drive from major city to major city and have NA members qualify live. JK of course but it would be simple enough to take photos like we do in the weekly contest and hopefully people would stay honest given there very well may not be a prize. Unless we make a gold cart for the winner .

I have a van and I drive around a lot, I'm in.  

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:17:20 PM
Busdriverj (102)
(Jason Faulkenberry) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
This very well might be my first Homebrew game. Im familiar with the games listed in the title screen, Ive just never played them.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:36:16 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Man I'm not missing out on this!

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:32:36 PM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Nice, I get that proto right, for rocking the high score at MGC . Matt ever send you that pic?

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:43:11 PM
bigjt_2 (17)
(Yeah, I'm a fat bastard.) < Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Very cool. Congrats Paul to you and all the others contributing to this.

Every thread on this forum is very offensive.  Please lock every last goddammed one of them!

"Tell him you'll break his A button pusher."
                                                  --Otto Hanson
"Unlike the Sega Genesis, which will give you cancer."
                                                  --Randy the Astonishing

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:20:30 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Pretty awesome, I'd definitely want one of these

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:34:13 AM
8-bit_boice (49)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
Definitely hoping to be able to get a CIB version! A HUGE thanks to everyone that is a part of making this happen.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48:17 AM
goldendark007 (76)
(Grodacious ) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Definitely will want a CIB (especially if there is a LE available)! In any event, congrats! I'm stoked!

Originally posted by: Guntz

I must say though, it's almost movie-like that a repro collector gives his green horns a try at soldering a repro cartridge.
http://teamchris.org

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:54:02 AM
P13R4T (154)
(J. Kyle Smith) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Very stoked about this Paul, one of the coolest things I've seen come from homebrews. How are those universal media cases coming? Lolz If I mod one for ya, that mean you'll make 16 LE's right?

Really though...can't wait for the auctions...and by that, I mean the 50 cibs.

Yar! Watch me pickup videos & see me Booty!
Last video: NintendoAge Campout 2012

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:32:42 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
This is cool, I will keep watch on this one

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:38:21 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Just to let everyone know, that another LE will be made and will be given to the winner of the campout's high score contest.

Details are still being worked out, but at the campout we will have a competition and everyone will have a chance to play with the high scorer getting a free copy. There will most likely be an entrance fee for this contest.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:01:51 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
So basically, everyone should come to campout this year ;-)

I will be bringing one or two random LE Homebrew games to sell at campout this year. These will be titles that were created in the last few years that are highly sought after and if I can recover my costs, I will split the profits with Paul for future campouts.

SO COME TO CAMPOUT!!! I can't wait to meet everyone that I haven't met yet!

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:36:51 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
This is good news! I am so glad to hear that Retro Zone will be releasing an open edition of these carts once the LE versions are sold out. I'll likely just wait for the RZ version, as it will likely be my only option anyway. I only have one homebrew so far, Frogger, and a nice stack of repros, including NWC. One question I might add, is 6:15 seconds long enough for a competition cart with 5 different games on it? Nintendo's official competition carts were 6:21, but each one had 3 games on it.

Obviously, with the dip switches, it should be possible to set the time up to nearly 10 minutes, but is the official 6:15 time limit long enough for the novice competitor to finish all 5 games?

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:45:51 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

This is good news! I am so glad to hear that Retro Zone will be releasing an open edition of these carts once the LE versions are sold out. I'll likely just wait for the RZ version, as it will likely be my only option anyway. I only have one homebrew so far, Frogger, and a nice stack of repros, including NWC. One question I might add, is 6:15 seconds long enough for a competition cart with 5 different games on it? Nintendo's official competition carts were 6:21, but each one had 3 games on it.

Obviously, with the dip switches, it should be possible to set the time up to nearly 10 minutes, but is the official 6:15 time limit long enough for the novice competitor to finish all 5 games?
The dip switches still exist so you can change it to whatever you want.  But to answer your question, yes, 6:15 is pretty much perfect.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:28:36 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Thank you for purchasing Frogger!!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:46:11 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Mine is one-of-a-kind:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&...

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41:19 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: WhatULive4

The dip switches still exist so you can change it to whatever you want.  But to answer your question, yes, 6:15 is pretty much perfect.

Exactly, we've had a great group of beta testers on this project to ensure that the time was enough.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:07:29 AM
Culex4096 (9)
(T S) < Little Mac >
Massachusetts
Been looking forward to this one. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:45:58 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Mine is one-of-a-kind:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&...

You are my new hero. So cool!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:50:31 AM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
Looks like fun. Good way to try the games out if you don't own them too.

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:22:07 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas

There is no competition. This is just a competition cart that is being sold, at this time I have no plans for a competition, but it does sound like fun
Let's just remember that I was the one that planted this seed.

Please don't do Campout this year. I can't go and I want in on this action. Even on the planning, I think it could be a lot of fun if hyped up the right way. Talk to me when you guys have time from making the carts. Plus, I think it should be at least six months after they're sold so that people can practice.

Also, I'm thinking sponsors.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:47:33 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
ha sponsors is too much.

This is simply a fun game, that does a few things.

1) Gets people interested in homebrews.
2) Will help NintendoAge with operating costs
3) It's damn fun
4) I dunno but I'm sure there should be something else here.
5) I love men

Edited: 04/25/2012 at 10:32 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:10:29 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Any chance we will see a youtube video of the prototype???

6 minutes and 15 seconds for the timer, as the NWC added 6 seconds to the time somehow.
I was wondering about the 6:21 issue myself. I did some math. The original NWC cart had a 30-bit counter in it, presumably made by stacking together multiple logic chips.

2^30 = 1,073,741,824 cycles
According to nesdev.com, the NTSC CPU clock speed is 1,789,772 hertz

1,073,741,824 clocks / 1,789,772 Hz = 599.932 seconds,
remarkably close to 600 seconds, or 10 minutes.

So, the five most significant bits of the counter are:

2^29 = 5:00 (hard-wired ON)
2^28 = 2:30 (dip switch D)
2^27 = 1:15 (dip switch C)
2^26 = 0:37.5 (dip switch B)
2^25 = 0:18.75 (dip switch A)

Then you add the enabled bits together to get the total, supposedly. With dip-switch C enabled, they should theoretically total 6:15. That doesn't explain why the official cartrige was off by 6 seconds, though. Some form of lag, or lower significant bits being switched on, perhaps?

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:58:35 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Ohhhh I'm going to have to try for a copy of this at Nintendo Camp this year! Question is, are the beta testers going to be allowed to participate? If so then I might have to practice...

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)