Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Cybernoid on NES Distorted Wavy Start Menu

Oct 15 at 10:50:58 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Hi, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. I have two copies of Cybernoid on the NES. Both copies start up with a super wavy distorted start menu. I've used composite and component cables on two different TVs with no luck. This is the only game I've had this problem with. I've tried it on multiple NES consoles, including two top loaders. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Oct 15 at 11:09:28 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Idk. That's a terrible game though

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Oct 16 at 2:58:55 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
Ha, I can't tell though as there seems to be a ton of flicker on the screen when playing as I move and the background scrolls.

Oct 16 at 3:29:09 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

How... is it terrible?  Balls-to-the-wall hard but it's about memorizing and there are a ton of levels.

Is this a personal opinion or the general consensus?  DISCLAIMER: I only had about 8-9 NES games as a kid and this was one of them.  I wore it out and it took me a LONG time to beat it.  I still stuck with it though, and mostly liked it.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 17 at 11:08:47 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Cybernoid is a game that seems to have weird issues due to how it was programmed.

I actually enjoy the game too, although it's obvious that the NES version is a terrible port of the original.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 17 at 12:23:43 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
Interesting...sounds like I might be possibly searching for a fully functioning copy for awhile

Oct 17 at 2:07:00 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
From what I could find on nesdev, the issue is probably your tv. The game uses a black color from the palette which generates a weak signal that some TV's may interpret as a sync signal. There are no revisions to the game afaik so all copies have the same issue. Speculation on my part but if your console is generating an especially weak signal for whatever reason it might contribute (if that's even possible).

There could theoretically be an issue with the game using uninitialized ram where switching consoles may do something different but my money is on your tv.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Oct 17 at 2:14:54 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
That's helpful, thanks. I've tried it on a crt and my led tv. I'll hook up the PVM and see if that resolved it.

Oct 18 at 12:33:48 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

That's helpful, thanks. I've tried it on a crt and my led tv. I'll hook up the PVM and see if that resolved it.
My copy worked on pvm.

Oct 18 at 1:00:22 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: rlh

How... is it terrible?  Balls-to-the-wall hard but it's about memorizing and there are a ton of levels.

Is this a personal opinion or the general consensus?  DISCLAIMER: I only had about 8-9 NES games as a kid and this was one of them.  I wore it out and it took me a LONG time to beat it.  I still stuck with it though, and mostly liked it.

You know I was thinking of a different game. For some reason I had this and infiltrator confused. Played cybernoid for 5 minutes last night. Not so bad. 

Oct 18 at 1:07:33 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
 For some reason I had this and infiltrator confused.
Infiltrator sucks.

Then again, I hate simulators in general.

Oct 18 at 1:23:59 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: Tulpa

For some reason I had this and infiltrator confused.
Infiltrator sucks.

Then again, I hate simulators in general.
It is awful. Space shuttle project? 

Oct 18 at 1:42:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
It is awful. Space shuttle project? 

I don't mind that one. There's more to do and you're not solely stuck behind a faux cockpit with useless gauges/fake controls that take up half the screen while you shoot at vague shapes.

Star Trek The Next Generation is also one I kind of like, even though that has a lot of useless dressing around the screen. But you do more than you would in Top Gun, et al.