Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Custom Firmware and CopyNES Functionality?

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:15:58 PM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
Is anyone working on custom firmware?  According to RetroUSB, the hardware can support rom dumping.  It's just a matter of the user being able to access the feature.  I have no idea how to go about writing firmware or a program that could connect to the AVS and carry out CopyNES functions.  Perhaps if enough demand is there, someone who is able could unlock the full power of the system and make this happen.  I would be willing to donate to the cause if others chip in to make it worth someones time.

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:11:02 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I should fire up my CopyUSB 501 Blue with AVS plugged in and see what happens. Worth a shot. Also I wonder if the AVS have some alternate service mode, ie "hold reset upon boot" or something like that.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:03:24 PM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I should fire up my CopyUSB 501 Blue with AVS plugged in and see what happens. Worth a shot. Also I wonder if the AVS have some alternate service mode, ie "hold reset upon boot" or something like that.

I am curious, what is the CopyUSB 501 Blue and how would it connect to the AVS?

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:45:45 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Serpentor

CopyNES Blue is an updated version of CopyNES dumping tool designed to work with modern Windows. The CopyNES was an addon for front loaders.

We know the AVS firmware is capable of dumping games for integrity purposes with Scoreboard. So it may be possible to unlock the cart dumping functionality through the USB port. I have not attempted running CopyNES with the AVS or tried to run Scoreboard with my CopyNES installed front loader, but I doubt it would work.

Edited: 12/26/2016 at 12:47 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:59:30 AM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >

CopyNES Blue is an updated version of CopyNES dumping tool designed to work with modern Windows. The CopyNES was an addon for front loaders.

We know the AVS firmware is capable of dumping games for integrity purposes with Scoreboard. So it may be possible to unlock the cart dumping functionality through the USB port. I have not attempted running CopyNES with the AVS or tried to run Scoreboard with my CopyNES installed front loader, but I doubt it would work.

It has been a few years since I used it, but I recall what you are talking about now.  It appears to be up to version 5.04 if you want to try the update.

https://code.google.com/archive/p...

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:37:57 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

It has been a few years since I used it, but I recall what you are talking about now.  It appears to be up to version 5.04 if you want to try the update.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/usbcopynesblue/
Stupid Avast.  

I had to momentarily disables shields in order to download. Once I unzipped the file and turned Avast back on, everything works as normal. After deep analysis, no threat detected.  

I noticed they added support for Memblers GT-ROM. Now all we need is Powerpak and Everdrive mappers, at least for those games that don't require flash saves...  

Edited: 12/28/2016 at 09:39 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:17:16 PM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >

Stupid Avast.  

I had to momentarily disables shields in order to download. Once I unzipped the file and turned Avast back on, everything works as normal. After deep analysis, no threat detected.  

I noticed they added support for Memblers GT-ROM. Now all we need is Powerpak and Everdrive mappers, at least for those games that don't require flash saves...  

Any luck using the CopyNESBlue software with an AVS hooked up?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:02:35 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Stupid Avast.  

Any luck using the CopyNESBlue software with an AVS hooked up?

I haven't tried yet.

EDIT: CopyNES Blue v5.05 does not work with AVS...

Edited: 01/13/2017 at 12:55 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:37:26 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
It would be great if there could be some firmware made to get at least functionality of pulling saves off of NES games with the AVS. I've been exploring again decent and simple options for backing up save games from various consoles, and it would be super nice and simple to just plug up the AVS to my computer and dump/upload the saves. I wonder if that's something that could even be done with just the scoreboard software, of if something would have to be done with the firmware of the system.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:14:22 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: dav3yb

It would be great if there could be some firmware made to get at least functionality of pulling saves off of NES games with the AVS. 
Does the cart to .sav function in scoreboard not work for you?

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:56:55 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: AaronE

Originally posted by: dav3yb

It would be great if there could be some firmware made to get at least functionality of pulling saves off of NES games with the AVS. 
Does the cart to .sav function in scoreboard not work for you?

I honestly haven't even looked into the software yet.  I just assumed it was only for uploading scores/updating firmware.  So the software should have a way to dump and upload game saves?

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:43:37 AM
toma (0)
(Tomas Guinan) < Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
The .sav function in scoreboard works for me. I tested it using Crystalis and a save from my Raspberry Pi. Worked perfectly, first try.

http://www.spoonybard.ca

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:07:11 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
The scoreboard does dump game carts to check integrity before submitting scores to the database, so unless the connection to the AVS is encrypted, maybe someone could monitor the bus and create a modified version of CopyNES to work with it. Brian said a while back the AVS had CopyNES functionality built in; he just hadn't implemented it. Only issue is the scoreboard software. If someone cracked the Scoreboard app, they could figure out how to submit rogue scores to the NA database without even playing the game, but that would be extremely lame and unfun...

And yes, you can inject powersaves through scoreboard. Wanna start Zelda with max hearts and items? No problem, though you can probably just as easily use GG codes to do that.  

Oct 24, 2017 at 1:54:33 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

The scoreboard does dump game carts to check integrity before submitting scores to the database, so unless the connection to the AVS is encrypted, maybe someone could monitor the bus and create a modified version of CopyNES to work with it. Brian said a while back the AVS had CopyNES functionality built in; he just hadn't implemented it. Only issue is the scoreboard software. If someone cracked the Scoreboard app, they could figure out how to submit rogue scores to the NA database without even playing the game, but that would be extremely lame and unfun...

And yes, you can inject powersaves through scoreboard. Wanna start Zelda with max hearts and items? No problem, though you can probably just as easily use GG codes to do that.  
Is this still something he plans on implementing? 
I have a few carts that may not be dumped yet that I'd love to dump with the AVS.

I think this would be a good thing to include with the AVS since the competition has it (Analogue Nt Mini).

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:36:36 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: spoonman

Is this still something he plans on implementing? 
I have a few carts that may not be dumped yet that I'd love to dump with the AVS.

I think this would be a good thing to include with the AVS since the competition has it (Analogue Nt Mini).
I've got a CopyUSB on my NES. If you lived nearby, I'd say bring them over and we'll have a dump party! Okay that did not sound right...  

But I'm in Louisiana and you're in New York it seems. Maybe others at NA could help you, especially with prototypes...  

Edited: 10/24/2017 at 05:37 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:47:10 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

I've got a CopyUSB on my NES. If you lived nearby, I'd say bring them over and we'll have a dump party! Okay that did not sound right...  

But I'm in Louisiana and you're in New York it seems. Maybe others at NA could help you, especially with prototypes...  

Haha... Yeah, trust me, I've had some great dumping parties back in the early 90's.  
A few local friends of mine, and myself owned SNES and Genesis copiers. We used to rent/trade/copy, etc. Fun times!  

I don't really have much interesting NES stuff to dump. Mostly just a few SuperVision multi-carts which I have never been able to locate rom dumps for. I also just like to have the ability to dump my own NES carts. I think it would be a great addition to the AVS,if added.

Jan 01 at 9:36:52 PM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
Was any progress ever made on using the AVS as a CopyNES? I haven't been on in a long time and may have gotten out of the loop on new developments.

Jan 02 at 12:00:12 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Was any progress ever made on using the AVS as a CopyNES? I haven't been on in a long time and may have gotten out of the loop on new developments.
No. However, the Analogue Super NT JB firmware can dump SNES games, and presumably an eventual JB release of Mega SG. I don't own an NT Mini so I'm not sure if it is possible to dump NES games.

One weird bug with dumping game ROMs on the Super NT was that the loaded ROM can appear corrupted if immediately played after it is dumped. So does the actual cart if restarted after the dump occurs. Power off the Super NT to fix (reset won't work). I honestly can't recall offhand what it was I was trying to dump.

AVS lacks the ram or a place to save games without tethering to a pc. Analogue consoles do everything through the sd slot, just has usb for power source.

Jan 02 at 8:08:16 AM
Serpentor (1)

< Tourian Tourist >

No. However, the Analogue Super NT JB firmware can dump SNES games, and presumably an eventual JB release of Mega SG. I don't own an NT Mini so I'm not sure if it is possible to dump NES games.

One weird bug with dumping game ROMs on the Super NT was that the loaded ROM can appear corrupted if immediately played after it is dumped. So does the actual cart if restarted after the dump occurs. Power off the Super NT to fix (reset won't work). I honestly can't recall offhand what it was I was trying to dump.

AVS lacks the ram or a place to save games without tethering to a pc. Analogue consoles do everything through the sd slot, just has usb for power source.

Such a shame.  The AVS would have been my dream replacement for the NES if only this simple feature had been incorporated into its design.  After waiting to see if this would ever happen, I'm now putting mine on ebay.  I never used it.

The NT Mini is a very nice piece of hardware, but they refuse to make more of them for whatever reason.  I like it, but I don't $1000+ like it  

Mar 30 at 8:07:05 PM
Selective_Memory (0)
< Cherub >
Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but I was just thinking about something like this recently when I saw on twitter that the retrousb store had copyNES kits available again. I've wanted to finagle a copyNES into my NES for a while, but getting my front-loader modded might be tedious for me. The little "kazzo" I've used to dump roms in the past has always been really "finnicky" and gives me issues. For example, whenever I try to dump Dr. Mario the rom will just come out "bad" (I've heard another person having issues with that particular game too, even when using the right "mappers setting").

Having the capability to do that with my AVS would be just wonderful. I wouldn't mind needing to be "tethered to my PC" while doing it either, because wouldn't you need to be "tethered to a PC" with your front-loader with a copyNES installed anyways?