NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-04-03T14:16:51 -05.00 10bigballer 107
http://zanesville.craigslist.org/vgm/4405340878.html ]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-27T00:00:31 -05.00 10bigballer 107
There's definitely an alternative cause you can implement a save states feature on the Powerpak. I personally haven't tried it cause I prefer to keep my Powerpak just like the original hardware. ]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-26T23:46:26 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: guillavoie

Powerpak isn't that hard to mess with, but it can be tricky at first to put the roms and make them appear on the menu. Just make sure you transfer them to the flash card directly from your source (computer) and it should be alright. It is recommended to buy the flash cart that retrozone offer with the powerpak cause it is 100% sure powerpak friendly. Like many observed, the trickiest part of the powerpak is probably the save feature, which involves the reset button.

are both the nes and snes ones tricky or just the nes? sorry im new to this. ]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-26T22:52:06 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-26T22:41:13 -05.00 10bigballer 107
I think it would take away from my fun in going game shopping some at pawn shops, stores, thrifts as I would be less likely to buy. That being said I've been interested in a powerpak but how hard are they to mess with? ]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-25T04:17:04 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: tracker465

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: Tanooki

It can be just about the game, if it was a game that you had as a kid.  I can accept that part of your argument.

But on the other side of the coin, many of us also have nostalgic moments of purchasing new NES games, sealed, taking them home, paging through the manual, etc.  While as kids we didn't have fullsets, we did get games here and there.  In a general statement, we bought / rented games, and then threw them into our toaster NES machines - we didn't select roms from a menu and load them up on a powerpack.  The second choice lacks nostalgic feelings or a sense of familiarity.

I love that other side of the coin too, and that's actually the first reason why I like to find, have, resell retro games etc. Just don't tell me (not you specifically) the powerpak isn't like an easy access to 'play' NES video games on the real hardware. Don't tell me it makes the 'playing part' less enjoyable than the 'playing part' of video games, if you get what I mean?
  From a playing standpoint, I think it would be great, but from a nostalgic standpoint, it fails.  Emulation is a bit worse than power pack, due to limitations and faults of the emulators, etc

]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-25T03:58:52 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: tracker465

It can be just about the game, if it was a game that you had as a kid.  I can accept that part of your argument.

But on the other side of the coin, many of us also have nostalgic moments of purchasing new NES games, sealed, taking them home, paging through the manual, etc.  While as kids we didn't have fullsets, we did get games here and there.  In a general statement, we bought / rented games, and then threw them into our toaster NES machines - we didn't select roms from a menu and load them up on a powerpack.  The second choice lacks nostalgic feelings or a sense of familiarity.

I love that other side of the coin too, and that's actually the first reason why I like to find, have, resell retro games etc. Just don't tell me (not you specifically) the powerpak isn't like an easy access to 'play' NES video games on the real hardware. Don't tell me it makes the 'playing part' less enjoyable than the 'playing part' of video games, if you get what I mean?

]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-25T03:56:55 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: tracker465

That's why I got rid of a powerpak. I barely used it because I'd get this bad case of NES ADHD going on. I could never decide what to use so I rarely did use it, and then when I did, I couldn't play for long before thinking about other things on there or 'real games' in my collection. It caused a back up of stuff and just mental pestering that bothered the hell out of me so I passed it onto another NA member. There's just no reward in playing with a copy on a piracy device and that has been a consistent thing with me since the 90s as I've gone through a few handheld flash carts too from the old BUNG 64M for GB/SGB, to one for GBC, a couple for GBA and then the powerpak and all ended in the same result. If you got a real game, perhaps with monetary stake in it too, there's just more motivation.

Seriously, and with all due respect, I personally think that all this is just a big pile of contradicting illusions. Powerpak piracy isn't 'rewarding' because when there's 'virtually' no money invested it isn't worth it, but getting a $50 pirate of little samson would be satisfying?

If it's all about video games, plastic cart, label, circuit board, manual and cardboxes shouldn't matter. I always used emulation since day 1 I found about it and never felt that it wasn't rewarding in any sense 'gaming wise'. With the powerpak, you're playing with the original hardware, so there's really no room for non-satisfaction besides illusionnary ideas that cover up other motives.
People in places like Russia and Poland actually PREFER the bootleg Famicom carts compared to the original releases, from what I've seen, and are willing to pay decent money for those things too.  

I missed around with emulation a bit in the NESticle days, but never could get into it much, especially with a working NES upstairs.  There is more to the craze than just the games, imo;  for me, part of it is the feeling of nostalgia.  If you cut out the nostalgia (i.e. playing on an emulator, or loading a bunch of roms on the power pack), part of the equation is taken out, and the feeling loses something imo.

Nostalgia is one very complex emotion that I would never deny the awesomeness, but we got to be realistic at where nostalgia really steps in. Who had a full NES set when they were young? If you want to play the games, you have the solution to play them through reasonable means that should be 100% satisfying, if it is about the games. If it is not about the games, just say it (just like you clearly said it), don't deny the most obvious solution.

On a side note, we played Paperboy last week for the contest, and I personally have very fond memories of playing the game when I was young. I loaded the game on my powerpak, closed all lights, and played. While I was playing, I had very enjoyable nostalgic sensations and memories, and at no moment the idea I loaded it on a powerpak disturbed me. Nostalgia can be all about the game also.

Edit: I agree with your first paragraph. I'm one that like pirate stuff in some ways. The point I was making is more about being unsatisfied playing on powerpak vs being satisfied playing on a freshly repro cart. Again, if it is about the game, it makes no sense. If it is about something else, please, name it.

Flash carts in general annoy me.  And that's not coming from a collector standpoint.  I'm strictly a gamer.   I only have 30 snes games, but I still prefer them all to be the original.  

]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-25T03:48:38 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: guillavoie

That's why I got rid of a powerpak. I barely used it because I'd get this bad case of NES ADHD going on. I could never decide what to use so I rarely did use it, and then when I did, I couldn't play for long before thinking about other things on there or 'real games' in my collection. It caused a back up of stuff and just mental pestering that bothered the hell out of me so I passed it onto another NA member. There's just no reward in playing with a copy on a piracy device and that has been a consistent thing with me since the 90s as I've gone through a few handheld flash carts too from the old BUNG 64M for GB/SGB, to one for GBC, a couple for GBA and then the powerpak and all ended in the same result. If you got a real game, perhaps with monetary stake in it too, there's just more motivation.

Seriously, and with all due respect, I personally think that all this is just a big pile of contradicting illusions. Powerpak piracy isn't 'rewarding' because when there's 'virtually' no money invested it isn't worth it, but getting a $50 pirate of little samson would be satisfying?

If it's all about video games, plastic cart, label, circuit board, manual and cardboxes shouldn't matter. I always used emulation since day 1 I found about it and never felt that it wasn't rewarding in any sense 'gaming wise'. With the powerpak, you're playing with the original hardware, so there's really no room for non-satisfaction besides illusionnary ideas that cover up other motives.
People in places like Russia and Poland actually PREFER the bootleg Famicom carts compared to the original releases, from what I've seen, and are willing to pay decent money for those things too.  

I missed around with emulation a bit in the NESticle days, but never could get into it much, especially with a working NES upstairs.  There is more to the craze than just the games, imo;  for me, part of it is the feeling of nostalgia.  If you cut out the nostalgia (i.e. playing on an emulator, or loading a bunch of roms on the power pack), part of the equation is taken out, and the feeling loses something imo.

Nostalgia is one very complex emotion that I would never deny the awesomeness, but we got to be realistic at where nostalgia really steps in. Who had a full NES set when they were young? If you want to play the games, you have the solution to play them through reasonable means that should be 100% satisfying, if it is about the games. If it is not about the games, just say it (just like you clearly said it), don't deny the most obvious solution.

On a side note, we played Paperboy last week for the contest, and I personally have very fond memories of playing the game when I was young. I loaded the game on my powerpak, closed all lights, and played. While I was playing, I had very enjoyable nostalgic sensations and memories, and at no moment the idea I loaded it on a powerpak disturbed me. Nostalgia can be all about the game also.

Edit: I agree with your first paragraph. I'm one that like pirate stuff in some ways. The point I was making is more about being unsatisfied playing on powerpak vs being satisfied playing on a freshly repro cart. Again, if it is about the game, it makes no sense. If it is about something else, please, name it. It can be just about the game, if it was a game that you had as a kid.  I can accept that part of your argument.

]]>
Story Behind the Fake Stadium Events from The Actual Buyer http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=123014 2014-03-25T03:39:30 -05.00 10bigballer 107 Originally posted by: tracker465

Edit: I agree with your first paragraph. I'm one that like pirate stuff in some ways. The point I was making is more about being unsatisfied playing on powerpak vs being satisfied playing on a freshly repro cart. Again, if it is about the game, it makes no sense. If it is about something else, please, name it. ]]>